National Championship Game

Did anyone else notice the talent level of both of the teams in that game? After watching every Husker game and many other college games this year , the 2 teams that played last night were FAR above everyone else , in fast, physical, playmakers at EVERY position. Both teams have been top 5-10 in recruiting for the last few years and i think it showed. I realize there are other teams that have good recruiting classes every year and still dont win (Texas,Notre Dame etc) but i really would like to see what Bo could do with players like that.

Did anyone else notice the talent level of both of the teams in that game? After watching every Husker game and many other college games this year , the 2 teams that played last night were FAR above everyone else , in fast, physical, playmakers at EVERY position. Both teams have been top 5-10 in recruiting for the last few years and i think it showed. I realize there are other teams that have good recruiting classes every year and still dont win (Texas,Notre Dame etc) but i really would like to see what Bo could do with players like that.

We did see what Bo could do with players like that. He was the DC for LSU remember :)

LSU's O stunk. Jefferson was completely un-effective. Bama D was the real deal. They flew, as a team to the the ball. They hit with authority and there were no missed tackles. Really same with LSU. No breaking of tackles, poor angles, whiffing in space etc.... They played mean on D. Nasty and with swagger.

Both teams played sound, fundamental football. Not a lot of miscues on either side.

I think for NU to contend, with alleged lesser talent, the only way to really close the gap is sound football. If we can't get turnovers, don't give any. Work on better pursuit angles (ironically Barrett Ruud commented in 2003 that was really what Bo helped him do), gang tackling, forget the highlight real hits and hold onto a guy. Contact needs to equal tackle. We whiffed, missed or allowed way to many yards after first contact. Playing sound football is, IMO, easier to fix than competing for the top tier talent.

It also proves to me that defenses win championships. Even with less than prolific or threatening offenses.

Looking at the two teams, at least for me, it is hard to "judge" talent. The glaring issues to me was the discipline. No wasted effort, no let down. They played from whistle to whistle, hard. Something that NU has not done. They also, Bama, put together a complete 4 quarter game (again NU no). They stuck with a script and did not deviate from what was working.

Coaching staff of Bama way more experienced across the board than NU and it showed, IMO.

Called a game on both sides that played into the strengths and abilities of their players (Bama). Again something that at times is missing from NU.

I do see Nebraska gaining quality recruits last year and this year instead of average guys, but people need to realize kids in Bama, Louisiana, Florida, and Texas are far superior across the board than kids in the Midwest, or anywhere for that matter. Why do you think the SEC has won 6 straight titles? Their kids outta HS are physically gifted as a Jr in college. Last night I posted how each team (Bama & LSU) had 13 in-state starters a piece. We got Abdullah from Bama like he was an everyday athlete there. Yes, he will be special here but we need to take that into consideration. We can get back to the top, but it isn't an easy climb, but I see us heading there.

I think you are overlooking the fact that SEC schools oversign their classes every year. That has now changed. Expect the SEC to come back to the pack over the next few years.

Exactly, this whole SEC run, while ESPN blows themselves over it all day, is cyclical, just like anything else in college sports. At some point in time, someone is going to crack the code on how to tap into their talent down there, and then it's game over.

I think you are overlooking the fact that SEC schools oversign their classes every year. That has now changed. Expect the SEC to come back to the pack over the next few years.

I don't remember seeing that this had changed. Are they following the same rules that the Big 10 follows now?

Supposedly they set the limit at 23 a year. A little lower than the NCAA requirement. It is a tremendous help, but I doubt changing it is going to any affect on it for quite awhile. There is great pride in the SEC, we have nothing even close to it. It was very strong when I lived in Tennesse years ago, and has grown even more in the last 6 years.

The population base is moving to the south rather quickly, the facilities are amazing, the weather is great, and the talent is everywhere. As you noticed last night, no Florida kids, no Socal kids and only one Texas kid on the LSU starters. That tells you they have an abundance of talent there.

They also have lower academic requirements, and ways around them it appears. The SEC is here to stay for awhile, and each and every program spends lots of money on their coaching staffs. Bama appears to be unlimited.

Exactly, this whole SEC run, while ESPN blows themselves over it all day, is cyclical, just like anything else in college sports. At some point in time, someone is going to crack the code on how to tap into their talent down there, and then it's game over.

Yep. In the '90's and even into 2000's LSU was frequently unranked and Alabama had a horrible time with a 3-8 record in 2000

4–9 in 2003 as well as a 6-6 record in 2004. So it will be interesting to see how they fare now that they will not be allowed to over sign.