NU moving to a 3-4 defense?

C N Red

Uh. Well fortunately for Bo, he has the ability to bring in the personnel to match the defense he wants to run.

I think 2011 disagrees with you.

So you are saying that we weren't running the best scheme for the personnel that we had. Which is false.

I am saying that Bo did not bring in the personnel to run his defense in 2011. Really, it didn't work out that well.

How bout we get really good at the defense we're running now!!!

A 3-4 isn't much of a stretch from what Nebraska is doing now with a 2 gap. In fact, a 3-4 would cover more gaps than a 4-3 stack, in a 2-gap scheme. It seems like that in my estimation.

I'm just an idiot though.

I am actually an idiot so you'll have to explain that stuff to me more. How does that work?

I don't see the pass rushing LBs here. Maybe we can get Meredith to come off the edge, but would he be more effective than he is now? I don't see the stout run-stuffers we can put at end, and definitely unsure about the space-eating behemoth at NT. It seems like we are lacking in the LB area, and the DTs are 4-3 DTs, and the DEs are a bit lacking, and neither 3-4 DEs nor 3-4 OLBs.

With the 3-4, and I'm not sure about this, but most teams that run it use two-gap scheming with their front line.

This wiki article helps out with it. But you're right, the personnel isn't really there.

Enhance said it best and correctly. Bo does not have familiarity with a 3-4 and has never ran it. I don't see him switching because of that. Could he tweak his scheme? Sure. But I think his base will be his base defense forever. With that being said, I won't question Bo if he does change, I just don't see it happening. He is one of the best defensive minds in the game, he will get it all sorted out.

Meredith is too slow to be a 3-4 outside linebacker. Yes, he did play the "spinner" position in 2010, but I think he was lighter then than he is now, and the "Spinner" position is not even close to the same thing as an outside linebacker.

With the hiring of Iowa's former defensive line coach, I think they usually ran a 4-3 if I'm not mistaken, so Bo is getting guys that believe and understand his philosophy.

However, to play devil's advocate, we did go from a 5-2 to a 4-3 in the early 90s under McBride. So it's not impossible we would switch base defenses, however, given his background, I don't see it happening. We need to get faster on defense though. The pass rush was not there, and I didn't feel we were aggressive enough as we should have been. Hopefully that changes with the way our roster looks next year & how we are recruiting. I think our secondary will be just fine, but we have to get the front 7 to play better.

Uh. Well fortunately for Bo, he has the ability to bring in the personnel to match the defense he wants to run.

I think 2011 disagrees with you.

So you are saying that we weren't running the best scheme for the personnel that we had. Which is false.

I am saying that Bo did not bring in the personnel to run his defense in 2011. Really, it didn't work out that well.

Then that is a talent issue, not a scheme issue. I was making my point within the context of the arguments in this thread.

• 7 months later...

The Husker 3-4 defense will be a little more different than most of you think. It will not be a complete traditional 3-4. I am basing these on my knowledge of the 3-4 and the knowledge of the Husker defense. To make it more simple to understand thing of it as a 5-2 I actually think Nebraska is best fit for a 3-3 formation but I don't want to cook your noodles yet. a 3-3 is more less you replace one of the LB in a 5-2 with a DB, of course this is for spread offenses like the one we will face against this weekend. I think your only 3 options at NT are Baker, Thad, and Valentine. Valentine would generally be the best fit, but he is a little young yet. Honestly between this two I wold take Thad. My front 5 from left to right would be Ankrah, Baker, Thad, Meredith, and Martin your linebackers are Compton and Wahley. Of course Martin and Ankrah would be listed as LB;s. I am not going to go into 3, 4, and 5 reciever sets with this but they are all based on this front formation. With our defense Bo is making the correct decision to make this into a 3-4 IMO he really doesn't have much of a choice. Soon we can go back to a 4-3, but we might thrive with a 3-4 we could get a lot of recruits no one else could get,

Goal-line--the guy posted that in January after the bowl game loss. I'd cut him some slack. ;)

And one of the other boards has a hypothesis that part of the reason for our team not being prepared for UCLA is because they spent most of their time in camp on the 3-4, and wanted to spring it on the B1G come conference play.

I don't know if that's plausible...but it is possible. All I know is what I've seen on the field, and the 4-3 isn't cutting it. Plus, our best defensive players are in the LB and secondary, so it makes sense to get as many of them out on the field as possible.

And then there's the NFL factor, as more teams (Dallas this year) are moving to the 3-4. Would sit better with recruits that we're running a system that the NFL seems to be (slowly) transitioning to en masse...

And then there's the NFL factor, as more teams (Dallas this year) are moving to the 3-4. Would sit better with recruits that we're running a system that the NFL seems to be (slowly) transitioning to en masse...

Dallas has been running a 3-4 for nearly a decade. This might be the first year it isn't a complete joke, I think that might be why it's noteworthy.

Dallas has been running a 3-4 for nearly a decade. This might be the first year it isn't a complete joke, I think that might be why it's noteworthy.

:yeah

To hear the talking heads in DFW tell it (1310 Ticket), Dallas was using a bastardized version of the 4-3 as their base defense in years past because they didn't have the personnel to run a 'true' or 'pure' 3-4 effectively. It may have been called a 3-4, but they were supposedly putting LBs on the line to pass rush so often (because the DL were so poor), they as well been granted honorary DL status.

Granted, I'm not much of a Dallas or NFL fan (like Green Bay, only watch NFL to watch how Nebraska kids do...though I whiffed on one of our former players in a past thread), so you likely know more their defensive history.

Jay Ratliff is a pro bowl nose! When you got OLBs like DeMarcus Ware Anthony Spencer then you unleash them! As an avid Cowboys fan I can tell you that the front 7 is not nor have they been Dallas' problem on defense! Secondary sux! So much in fact their two biggest acquisitions were CBs in the offseason! Also they have had relatively the same front 7 for a few years now!