Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

On 1/15/2024 at 11:54 AM, Xmas32 said:

Really, really good. If you know anything about the Von Erichs you know their story is really tragic and the movie does a good job of navigating it without being super emotionally manipulative. Zac Efron was incredible and the rest of the cast was really good as well.

It's on my list, but they really should have flipped the casting; Efron looks more like Kerry, and Jeremy Allen White looks more like Kevin.

• Plus1 1

22 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

It's on my list, but they really should have flipped the casting; Efron looks more like Kerry, and Jeremy Allen White looks more like Kevin.

+1, your comment on the casting is something I've read in a few other reviews as well and it's a fair critique. I hope you enjoy the film once you get around to watching it!

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

There is talk of some oscar nods!

They didn't get any, sadly. 

5 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

+1, your comment on the casting is something I've read in a few other reviews as well and it's a fair critique. I hope you enjoy the film once you get around to watching it!

I'm an old school wrestling fan (not *quite* as old as going back to the Von Erichs in their prime), but I know their family history, and I'm looking forward to this one. 

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

They didn't get any, sadly. 

I'm an old school wrestling fan (not *quite* as old as going back to the Von Erichs in their prime), but I know their family history, and I'm looking forward to this one. 

Oh s#!t, I thought it came out late enough that it would be on the next oscars but I guess you are right.  

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, teachercd said:

Oh s#!t, I thought it came out late enough that it would be on the next oscars but I guess you are right.  

I, too, was a little surprised it didn't get any Oscar buzz at all. From what I've read, the reasoning is the movie came out super late in the awards cycle plus A24 the production company threw their support behind a couple other films.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

24 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Watched last night. I thought it was very good, and an interesting subject told from a new perspective.

One b#tch...the music overlaid on dialog was WAY too loud.

I agree. Thought it was very well done but hearing some of the dialogue was problematic.

I found out I really didn’t know much about Oppenheimer beyond the obvious. I thought Cillian, Downey jr and Damon were fantastic. Often it’s very easy to associate actors with prior roles but all 3 were excellent at not reminding me of anything except who they were playing in this movie.

• Plus1 1