Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

9 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I really, really liked season 1; I've surprisingly never played any of the games, but season 1 got me to read the books. 

Season 2 was ok; sort of middling at times, but ok. 

After the nonsense surrounding Cavill's departure, I'm skipping season 3 and whatever comes after. 

Probably a wise choice. Season 1 was quite good. The books are really enjoyable (just finished them last summer).

Season 3 was hot garbage. Given the direction it went, I imagine the rest of the series is going to be a loss and not worth watching.

I have to commend Steve Martin and Martin Short for being smart. The strikes are going on so they can't promote TV shows, like Only Murders in the Building which they are both in and executive produce.

So they did an interview together with Conan on his podcast, and did not talk about any of their current projects. But I was curious why they would be on right now and together, other than just wanting to hang out with Conan or being bored, and that's how I found out about the show. The new season is premiering now.

• 3 weeks later...

"A Small Light" was an excellent (and sobering) series. Highly recommended. It was streaming on Hulu, Disney, and Prime at one point not sure if it still on all three of those.

Trigger warning for some conservatives and Texas residents: it tells the story of Anne Frank's family in hiding and depicts Nazis as the bad guys. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
On 9/19/2023 at 8:59 PM, krc1995 said:

Fisk on Netflix. An Australian comedy that is witty with great characters.  Sadly, it’s only 6 episodes.

I’m guessing we’ll see more foreign shows with the writers strike. 

If you're looking for another solid Aussie show, check out "Mr. Inbetween" which wrapped up a 3 season run on FX not too long ago. It's about a guy who's a single dad and navigating all those challenges with a daughter as she's growing up. Plus, he's a hitman. It's a really, really good black comedy. Awesome show and couldn't recommend it more to anyone.

Thanks for the rec on Fisk, I'll definitely check it out.

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

If you're looking for another solid Aussie show, check out "Mr. Inbetween" which wrapped up a 3 season run on FX not too long ago. It's about a guy who's a single dad and navigating all those challenges with a daughter as she's growing up. Plus, he's a hitman. It's a really, really good black comedy. Awesome show and couldn't recommend it more to anyone.

Thanks for the rec on Fisk, I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks. I’m looking for anything novel right now. 

• Fire 1

For all you The Boys fans….

The first 3 episodes of Gen V are out on Prime with a new ep per week now. Gen V is a spinoff about a supe school. Haven’t watched yet and don’t know anything about it other than hoping it’s along the same line as The Boys. May watch those 3 eps this weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

The Fall of the House of Usher is another good one from Mike Flanagan. Same guy that did Haunting of Hill House, Bly Manor, Midnight Mass and The Midnight Club. Once again a lot of the same actors.

I can’t exactly put my finger on what it is I like about these. I think it’s as simple as the series are the right length, easy to watch and a little fresh and unexpected. This most current one is a play on The Raven and The Tell-Tale Heart stories by Edgar Allen Poe.

On 10/22/2023 at 10:32 PM, JJ Husker said:

The Fall of the House of Usher is another good one from Mike Flanagan. Same guy that did Haunting of Hill House, Bly Manor, Midnight Mass and The Midnight Club. Once again a lot of the same actors.

I can’t exactly put my finger on what it is I like about these. I think it’s as simple as the series are the right length, easy to watch and a little fresh and unexpected. This most current one is a play on The Raven and The Tell-Tale Heart stories by Edgar Allen Poe.

I'm 4 episodes in and it's fantastic

On 10/22/2023 at 9:32 PM, JJ Husker said:

Started this last night. So good :thumbs