For any fitness fanatics on this message board

I didn't read all the threads, but I am an avid exerciser. Three days a week M-W-Fri I work out with trainer for one hour and then I add a half hour after that session purely cardio. The trainer's workout consists of working the pulling muscles upper body- 4 sets, then I run on the tread mill for 4.5 minutes. We alternate these circuits for 30 minutes. The next 30 minutes is spent working 4 sets of pushing muscles of the upper body sets, alternating with 4.5 minutes for running. This takes one hour. That is Monday. Wednesday we do a boot camp that incorporates the TRX resistance program, sledge hammer swings, four hundred pond tire tractor push, kettle balls, squat jumps onto a weight bench (killer), and ab work. Friday We do lower body weight training much the same as Monday but add abs. When I do Saturday workouts they resemble Wednesdays circuit sets. I average burning 800 plus calories per my heart rate monitor per sesson. On Thursdays an Sunday's I am training for a half marathon in March.

You man want to calculate the percentage of body fat that you have. 15 % is healthy for a man. To lose another 10 lbs you would have to be carrying 38 lbs of fat at 195 which is 19.7%. Your % of body fat is a much better indicator of your health than is your total weight. An excellent book about all of this s "Fit Or Fat" by Covert Bailey. Good luck and stay healthy. That's the important thing. When you get to be an old timer like BRI [ :) ] you may want to do less weight and more reps.

Body Fat Formula For Men

Factor 1

(Total body weight x 1.082) + 94.42

Factor 2

Waist measurement x 4.15

Lean Body Mass

Factor 1 - Factor 2

Body Fat Weight

Total bodyweight - Lean Body Mass

Body Fat Percentage

(Body Fat Weight x 100) / total bodyweight

T_O_B

G>B>R

Fat is typically not the enemy (consumed), but has been well documented in research that visceral fat in certain regions of the body, specifically the superior iliac crest region(area above the hip) and your fat deposition on your back, just below your scapula, has been shown to be high indicators for heart disease risk and how well you metabolize carbohydrates (per Charles Poliquin specifically). Sugar, specially the breakdown into glucose, is typically the big culprit in fat deposition in many white Americans and then general population. I have, however, have friends and have met people that handle carbohydrates very well. They can eat a TON OF THEM and still stay quite lean. Healthy fat consumption is very beneficial for your body (esp. Omega-3 fatty acids) and can help combat inflammation in the gut and throughout your body. 15% BF isn't unhealthy in my opinion from all the research I've gathered, but when you start getting higher, it's typically an indicator of multiple factors: poor diet and stress are the top two that immediately come to mind. I'll do what I can to help people out and I hope to learn some new and useful information from this board as well.

I didn't read all the threads, but I am an avid exerciser. Three days a week M-W-Fri I work out with trainer for one hour and then I add a half hour after that session purely cardio. The trainer's workout consists of working the pulling muscles upper body- 4 sets, then I run on the tread mill for 4.5 minutes. We alternate these circuits for 30 minutes. The next 30 minutes is spent working 4 sets of pushing muscles of the upper body sets, alternating with 4.5 minutes for running. This takes one hour. That is Monday. Wednesday we do a boot camp that incorporates the TRX resistance program, sledge hammer swings, four hundred pond tire tractor push, kettle balls, squat jumps onto a weight bench (killer), and ab work. Friday We do lower body weight training much the same as Monday but add abs. When I do Saturday workouts they resemble Wednesdays circuit sets. I average burning 800 plus calories per my heart rate monitor per sesson. On Thursdays an Sunday's I am training for a half marathon in March.

Nice!

post-8827-0-45215700-1327014018.jpg

Thanks Zoogies! I am big into fitness and overall wellness...so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try and help (within my scope of learning and practice). This is an old pic of me back in '09.

*Played soccer for about 7 years and played football for 3 years. Played 2 years of highschool football as a FB and linebacker...

That's you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQttDhgptQk

I pictured everyone on this board looking like this

mputergeek.jpg

I can post more pictures if your heart desires lol. I prob. won't post many with my shirt off b/c I don't have that many....

Sweet, glad this I saw this topic! Don't get on here as much anymore but would like to see how this thread goes and how everyone else is doing with their fitness goals. I am on a steady diet of cardio at the moment, everyday for at least 1/2 hour and 2 days a week I go for an hour. I have only started the everyday thing about 2 weeks ago, before I only ran maybe twice a week and already I have noticed a big difference on how much better I am doing running everyday. I am 6'1 and when I started I was 257 ( holy crap!!) and am already down to 249 in that short of time, so that is pure motivation right there. I was never this big so it pisses me off more than depressing me.

I found it was pretty easy to cut out foods that I shouldn't eat anymore, by drinking LOTS of water and always keeping some sort of fruit with me, a buddy of mine got me on a 24 day challenge which is supplements, protein shakes and a amino acid drink which has helped me out a ton to adjust to my new habits and to jumpstart the process. I am on day 11 so will have to post when it is over to see how well it works. I was pretty skeptical about the program but he had lost 24 lbs in 24 days so thought I would give it a shot. My buddy has lost over 130 lbs in less than 2 years and has made a complete transformation so I wasn't going to doubt him much.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips for me let me know, plan on starting some sort of weight routine in another week or so along with cardio. I actually enjoy hitting the treadmill.

Sweet, glad this I saw this topic! Don't get on here as much anymore but would like to see how this thread goes and how everyone else is doing with their fitness goals. I am on a steady diet of cardio at the moment, everyday for at least 1/2 hour and 2 days a week I go for an hour. I have only started the everyday thing about 2 weeks ago, before I only ran maybe twice a week and already I have noticed a big difference on how much better I am doing running everyday. I am 6'1 and when I started I was 257 ( holy crap!!) and am already down to 249 in that short of time, so that is pure motivation right there. I was never this big so it pisses me off more than depressing me.

I found it was pretty easy to cut out foods that I shouldn't eat anymore, by drinking LOTS of water and always keeping some sort of fruit with me, a buddy of mine got me on a 24 day challenge which is supplements, protein shakes and a amino acid drink which has helped me out a ton to adjust to my new habits and to jumpstart the process. I am on day 11 so will have to post when it is over to see how well it works. I was pretty skeptical about the program but he had lost 24 lbs in 24 days so thought I would give it a shot. My buddy has lost over 130 lbs in less than 2 years and has made a complete transformation so I wasn't going to doubt him much.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips for me let me know, plan on starting some sort of weight routine in another week or so along with cardio. I actually enjoy hitting the treadmill.

Sounds great! Nice job

Right now, I'm probably sitting around 15% bf or so. Been trying to cut fat for a long time, and I'm currently on a cutting cycle. I started the cycle Monday and will go hard until next Friday. Then I will take some time off (maybe a week or two) and then start another one.

Any advice/ideas that anybody could give me to help bust through that plateau would be awesome!

So you started cutting on Monday? or have you been trying to cut for a long time? It's a bit confusing because it seems your statements says both. If you can elaborate and be specific, I might be able to give ya some advice man. Cutting fat takes hard work and dedication....esp. as you begin to age. I am assuming you started on Monday. What is your diet like? What does it consist of on a daily basis?

Yeah, sorry. I should have been more specific. I was actually sitting at about 260 pounds a year and a half ago. Over the summer, I just started playing basketball for like 3 hours every day, and by the end of the summer I was right around 220 or so. Since then, I have picked up body building, so in addition to adding muscle, I am now sitting at about 195.

So basically I have been stuck at this 195-200 weight, and no amount of exercise, diet, or supplement stack seems to help break through this plateau. It was over the summer that I dropped from about 215 to 200 just from being active all the time, lifting 4-5 times per week and playing basketball once a week.

I have been learning a lot just by reading the forums on bodybuilding.com about calculating calorie needs, and using the Katch-McArdle equation, I found that my maintenance requirement is 2900 calories. Following the advice on the forums, subtracting 20% of the calories from this in order to cut weight would allow me about 2300 calories per day. So today, for example, I did fairly well. I calculated my caloric intake at 2425 calories, including 145 grams of protein and only 50 grams of fat. I try to stick to lean meats such as turkey and chicken breast, which I had today. I also had scrambled egg whites, oatmeal, 2 protein drinks, yogurt, a banana, etc.

So yes, I try to eat low fat foods that are also good sources of protein. I probably fell about 50 grams of protein short of what I would typically want to consume in a day, since I am still wanting to bulk up while I cut fat. When I said that I started cutting on Monday, I meant that I started my 2-week cycle of cutting fat. A lot of times, my lack of energy and stress of sticking to a diet cause me to only want to stick to a cycle for about a week, but I am making sure that I go for the full 2 weeks on this cycle.

This is a most interesting thread with lots of good info. My history of exercise was mostly running for track and cross country. Weight lifting wasn't a part of any routine in my high school in the 60's. (Graduated in 1970). I started playing basketball in college and became addicted. I've been fortunate enough to play BB in leagues then at the local Y (3 days a week). I started lifting in the late 80's. Nothing heavy, just enough to shape up some middle age spread. I recently had foot surgury that will keep me off the BB courts till at least summer and not really sure I'll ever play again. Are ellipitical machines the best source of cardio exercise for this situation? I don't enjoy swimming at all. I'm 5'11" and 185 lbs now and would like to keep my girlish figure. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks Zoogies! I am big into fitness and overall wellness...so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try and help (within my scope of learning and practice). This is an old pic of me back in '09.

*Played soccer for about 7 years and played football for 3 years. Played 2 years of highschool football as a FB and linebacker...

Did you completely rock a hard one when you saw this thread? I bet you have been waiting a long time to post a picture of your self without your shirt on a message board frequented by 99.9% dudes. The narcissism in our culture is sickening anymore.

Right now, I'm probably sitting around 15% bf or so. Been trying to cut fat for a long time, and I'm currently on a cutting cycle. I started the cycle Monday and will go hard until next Friday. Then I will take some time off (maybe a week or two) and then start another one.

Any advice/ideas that anybody could give me to help bust through that plateau would be awesome!

So you started cutting on Monday? or have you been trying to cut for a long time? It's a bit confusing because it seems your statements says both. If you can elaborate and be specific, I might be able to give ya some advice man. Cutting fat takes hard work and dedication....esp. as you begin to age. I am assuming you started on Monday. What is your diet like? What does it consist of on a daily basis?

Yeah, sorry. I should have been more specific. I was actually sitting at about 260 pounds a year and a half ago. Over the summer, I just started playing basketball for like 3 hours every day, and by the end of the summer I was right around 220 or so. Since then, I have picked up body building, so in addition to adding muscle, I am now sitting at about 195.

So basically I have been stuck at this 195-200 weight, and no amount of exercise, diet, or supplement stack seems to help break through this plateau. It was over the summer that I dropped from about 215 to 200 just from being active all the time, lifting 4-5 times per week and playing basketball once a week.

I have been learning a lot just by reading the forums on bodybuilding.com about calculating calorie needs, and using the Katch-McArdle equation, I found that my maintenance requirement is 2900 calories. Following the advice on the forums, subtracting 20% of the calories from this in order to cut weight would allow me about 2300 calories per day. So today, for example, I did fairly well. I calculated my caloric intake at 2425 calories, including 145 grams of protein and only 50 grams of fat. I try to stick to lean meats such as turkey and chicken breast, which I had today. I also had scrambled egg whites, oatmeal, 2 protein drinks, yogurt, a banana, etc.

So yes, I try to eat low fat foods that are also good sources of protein. I probably fell about 50 grams of protein short of what I would typically want to consume in a day, since I am still wanting to bulk up while I cut fat. When I said that I started cutting on Monday, I meant that I started my 2-week cycle of cutting fat. A lot of times, my lack of energy and stress of sticking to a diet cause me to only want to stick to a cycle for about a week, but I am making sure that I go for the full 2 weeks on this cycle.

Quick question: How tall are you!? It sounds like you don't have too much of an issue losing BF considering your initial weight. This plateau that your stuck in may warrant a caloric boost for about 3-4 days (pretty much taking a break sort off the low-cal diet). After your cutting cycle, trying increasing your cals by about 1-2 thousand more a day for approx 3 to 4 days. In addition, try keeping the food selections about the same, just increase them and increase your fat intake a bit (this will help with reaching your caloric boost). After the 3-4 days, drop it right back down to your 2,300 calorie consumption. At times....what people need to bust them out of a plateau with regards to diet is to just take a break and consume more cals (a few cheat meals doesn't hurt). I've done this with great success, as well as many others (this may give you that metabolic boost you need). Make sure you're sleeping fairly well 7-8 hours a night if you can and drink a ton of water.

Did you completely rock a hard one when you saw this thread? I bet you have been waiting a long time to post a picture of your self without your shirt on a message board frequented by 99.9% dudes. The narcissism in our culture is sickening anymore.

um no....So quick to judge to man....I just enjoy fitness and wellness and came here to help out if anyone needs any advice. I am not an "expert" nor am I am on here to get attention.

Are you being serious? If you don't like what you see or read in this thread, then don't read it...

• Fire 3

Been through some crazy weight fluctuations over the last 14 months. Last November I was up to 330lbs (I'm 6'3"). Started eating a really healthy diet and started running, by July I was down to 260. Since then I haven't done a lot of cardio but I lift weights 2-3 times a week, I'm about 295lbs right now. I'm glad I've put on some muscle, but not too happy about the fat I've put on with it. Definately need to keep my diet in check and start running again. I actually ran 2 miles the other day, so I'm not in terrible shape for a guy my size.

• Fire 1

This is a most interesting thread with lots of good info. My history of exercise was mostly running for track and cross country. Weight lifting wasn't a part of any routine in my high school in the 60's. (Graduated in 1970). I started playing basketball in college and became addicted. I've been fortunate enough to play BB in leagues then at the local Y (3 days a week). I started lifting in the late 80's. Nothing heavy, just enough to shape up some middle age spread. I recently had foot surgury that will keep me off the BB courts till at least summer and not really sure I'll ever play again. Are ellipitical machines the best source of cardio exercise for this situation? I don't enjoy swimming at all. I'm 5'11" and 185 lbs now and would like to keep my girlish figure. Any tips would be appreciated.

With your history of foot problems, Ellipticals are a very low impact way to get cardio in. I really think the answer to combat "the spread" is putting in 4-5 hours a week at the gym(or other physical activity), 1/2 cardio and 1/2 weights, eating low cal 4 days per week, and finding something you like doing that isn't sitting-and then do it.

You man want to calculate the percentage of body fat that you have. 15 % is healthy for a man. To lose another 10 lbs you would have to be carrying 38 lbs of fat at 195 which is 19.7%. Your % of body fat is a much better indicator of your health than is your total weight. An excellent book about all of this s "Fit Or Fat" by Covert Bailey. Good luck and stay healthy. That's the important thing. When you get to be an old timer like BRI [ :) ] you may want to do less weight and more reps.

Body Fat Formula For Men

Factor 1

(Total body weight x 1.082) + 94.42

Factor 2

Waist measurement x 4.15

Lean Body Mass

Factor 1 - Factor 2

Body Fat Weight

Total bodyweight - Lean Body Mass

Body Fat Percentage

(Body Fat Weight x 100) / total bodyweight

T_O_B

G>B>R

Fat is typically not the enemy (consumed), but has been well documented in research that visceral fat in certain regions of the body, specifically the superior iliac crest region(area above the hip) and your fat deposition on your back, just below your scapula, has been shown to be high indicators for heart disease risk and how well you metabolize carbohydrates (per Charles Poliquin specifically). Sugar, specially the breakdown into glucose, is typically the big culprit in fat deposition in many white Americans and then general population. I have, however, have friends and have met people that handle carbohydrates very well. They can eat a TON OF THEM and still stay quite lean. Healthy fat consumption is very beneficial for your body (esp. Omega-3 fatty acids) and can help combat inflammation in the gut and throughout your body. 15% BF isn't unhealthy in my opinion from all the research I've gathered, but when you start getting higher, it's typically an indicator of multiple factors: poor diet and stress are the top two that immediately come to mind. I'll do what I can to help people out and I hope to learn some new and useful information from this board as well.

...and this has to do with my post how?

T_O_B

G>B>R