S Su'a Cravens [USC Commit]

Nexus

We are and have always had a hard time recruiting in the exotic locals. Even in our heyday. No step back and realize we have not played for the MNC in 12 years. That makes these kids about 5 years old when that happened last. As hard as it is to admit, we are currently an "also ran program". Until we begin to compete on the national stage it will be hard to "steal" anyone away. Getting taken to the woodshed twice (almost) 3 times this past year doesn't help. Win your division, when your conference and get to the BCS and kids will look this way. This is the "what's in it for me generation". Can I play in a BCS game, can this school get me to the next level, great TV exposure etc....

This staff has to acknowledge this and go after more "sure" things even if they do not have the stars. We are wasting time on kids who enjoy getting the attention, but have no intention of ever coming here. Cut bait and move on.

Winning cures everything. Look at Boise St (conference be damned) they play and have great success against some traditional "big boy" schools. They are a prime example of getting kids who WANT to play for you and are getting COACHED up.

It is a glaring issue when we have projected starters who are walk-ons. Bama, LSU, USC, OSU, OU, UT, Michicken etc probably do not have walk-ons starting. Love the program, but we are not going to win the division, let alone the conference on kids who did not take or were not offered schollies from other big time schools.

you mean the walk on that is picked to be First team All Big 10 this year?

We are and have always had a hard time recruiting in the exotic locals. Even in our heyday. No step back and realize we have not played for the MNC in 12 years. That makes these kids about 5 years old when that happened last. As hard as it is to admit, we are currently an "also ran program". Until we begin to compete on the national stage it will be hard to "steal" anyone away. Getting taken to the woodshed twice (almost) 3 times this past year doesn't help. Win your division, when your conference and get to the BCS and kids will look this way. This is the "what's in it for me generation". Can I play in a BCS game, can this school get me to the next level, great TV exposure etc....

This staff has to acknowledge this and go after more "sure" things even if they do not have the stars. We are wasting time on kids who enjoy getting the attention, but have no intention of ever coming here. Cut bait and move on.

Winning cures everything. Look at Boise St (conference be damned) they play and have great success against some traditional "big boy" schools. They are a prime example of getting kids who WANT to play for you and are getting COACHED up.

It is a glaring issue when we have projected starters who are walk-ons. Bama, LSU, USC, OSU, OU, UT, Michicken etc probably do not have walk-ons starting. Love the program, but we are not going to win the division, let alone the conference on kids who did not take or were not offered schollies from other big time schools.

Yea, a diamond in the rough. As mentioned above 1 out of 200. So does this say the coaches can't recruit? Miss on recruits or due to number (lack of schollies) we can only recruit so many positions per year?

I stand by my comment. Having multiple walk-ons starting, we will never win our conference. Division is a stretch.

Wait until the end of the year to see where he ends up. Same with our lack of first teamers on D. Pre-season picks mean nothing. I hope he lives up to the billing. The O line needs him and then some.

Yea, a diamond in the rough. As mentioned above 1 out of 200. So does this say the coaches can't recruit? Miss on recruits or due to number (lack of schollies) we can only recruit so many positions per year?

I stand by my comment. Having multiple walk-ons starting, we will never win our conference. Division is a stretch.

Wait until the end of the year to see where he ends up. Same with our lack of first teamers on D. Pre-season picks mean nothing. I hope he lives up to the billing. The O line needs him and then some.

He was second team last year so i dont think he needs to live up to the hype, he already been established.

As far as your recruiting questions go, i dont think its a matter of the coaches cant recruit its the talent pool available that would actually consider coming here at the moment. Look what happend with Tyler Moore. The only reason we got him is he was a legacy. Otherwise he would have been in the SEC probably at Florida. He comes here and starts right away as a true freshman. Our other recruits are good solid prospects but not like guys like Moore or Peat, that have great talent, and they really dont need a whole lot of developing like some of our other recruits. We start going to some BCS games and winning our confrence, i think we can start stealing guys like Cravens but its always going to be really hard to recuit here because of our locaton, Lincoln is a small town with nothing compared to where alot of these kids grew up, and sometimes thats just not what kids are looking for, sometimes its exactly what they are looking for, its more then just football with most of these kids.

It is very interesting when people on this board are putting Michigan in the same breath as the LSU's and the Bama's of the world. Not realistic.

Not realistic today, that's for sure. Hoke has done a helluva job recruiting, however. They're bringing in the athletes, and unfortunately they *may* be approaching that status. You're right though. They're not there yet. Maybe in a few years.

Michigan is going to be our primary competitor for the division for years to come I think. Sparty will have some nice teams and Iowa will collect a trophy scalp or two every year, but the Wolverines are stocking the cupboard. That's gonna be a huge game for us every year going forward.

It is very interesting when people on this board are putting Michigan in the same breath as the LSU's and the Bama's of the world. Not realistic.

Not realistic today, that's for sure. Hoke has done a helluva job recruiting, however. They're bringing in the athletes, and unfortunately they *may* be approaching that status. You're right though. They're not there yet. Maybe in a few years.

Michigan is going to be our primary competitor for the division for years to come I think. Sparty will have some nice teams and Iowa will collect a trophy scalp or two every year, but the Wolverines are stocking the cupboard. That's gonna be a huge game for us every year going forward.

Agreed. When you peel back the layers of Michigan's season last year they played 8 games at home and 4 on the road. They were 2-2 on the road and did not beat a ranked opponent and lost to Iowa. Their schedule was set up for them to make a big time run last year with the talent that Rich Rod recruited. If Michigan starts with a sputter, expect some of those kids to begin to look around.

They didn't beat a ranked opponent on the road, but they did beat us and VaTech, who both finished ranked. That was a pretty weak sched though. They only played three teams that ended up ranked. They played Purdue and Illinois, while we played Wiscy and PSU. Slightly different.

Exactly my point. To anoint Brady Hoke or Michigan the next big thing would be a bit premature at best. Go through our schedule this year and last year and go 11-2 and then maybe we will talk.

Agreed. When you peel back the layers of Michigan's season last year they played 8 games at home and 4 on the road. They were 2-2 on the road and did not beat a ranked opponent and lost to Iowa. Their schedule was set up for them to make a big time run last year with the talent that Rich Rod recruited. If Michigan starts with a sputter, expect some of those kids to begin to look around.

Here's to hoping.