Mel Kiper chimes in on Husker Draft potential via Robin Washut

knapplc

RobinWashut

Kiper said @JrodVCrick could go as early as 2nd rd and would fit best as a DE in a 3-4 defensive scheme. Similar to Adam Carriker. #Huskers\

RobinWashut

Kiper said @BRASKA_4 was one of most intriguing def. prospects in draft. Projected him 3rd rd, but could go earlier if team takes a chance.

RobinWashut

Kiper on Dennard: "He’s an incredibly athletic, a tremendous ability to get off the ground, good ball skills, a tough kid, hard-nosed kid."

RobinWashut

Kiper on @BRASKA_4 "Instinctively, this kid’s off the charts. Just a tackling machine." Compared him to Jonathan Vilma coming out of Miami

RobinWashut

Other than Dennard, Crick and David, Kiper didn't see any other #Huskers drafted. Said Austin Cassidy had a chance, but likely undrafted FA

All posts courtesy of Robin Washut via Twitter.

Really interesting comments about David, but to me the biggest shocker was the fact that Kiper thought Cassidy had a "chance" at being drafted.

Cassidy is ranked around 20th at the SS position for the draft. Last year 18 safeties were taken (both FS and SS). So Cassidy isn't likely to get drafted. Caputo is in about the same boat. He is ranked in the 15 to 20 range among centers available for this draft. But only 6 to 8 guys get picked. So it's not likely he will get drafted either. But they'll both probably get invited to a camp someplace.

If O'Hanlon didn't get drafted, there's no way Cassidy does. Anyone notice that about everyone but Husker fans have good things to say about Cassidy?

Agree on both counts. Let it never be said that Taylor is the only one that gets harshly derided.

Last year's graduating class was danged good, so it's no surprise. We have some starpower this year, though, headed for the draft.

Let it never be said that Taylor is the only one that gets harshly derided.

Nobody has ever said that. But since there are 10 threads deriding Martinez to every one thread for the rest of the players on the team combined, it's fair to say that he is the target more often than any other player. By far.

• Fire 1

If O'Hanlon didn't get drafted, there's no way Cassidy does. Anyone notice that about everyone but Husker fans have good things to say about Cassidy?

That is funny actually. I've noticed the same thing. When broadcasters or other sports analysts talk about the defense, they always mention Cassidy and I'm always scratching my head saying what the hell does he have to do with Nebraska's defense? Good point. We sure ;have some talented young athletes at the safety position I pray they get a chance to get out there and show thier stuff. Glad to see Cassidy graduate and get on with his life. Nice kid, but pretty soft for a safety.