Michael Rose's take on this years recruiting class

The chance to prove it on the field will come soon enough. For the next 12 days, Rose will be wearing that recruiting hat, doing his best sales pitch for his future team.

And when it's all said and done, he thinks Nebraska fans are going to like what this class looks like. "Some Husker fans complain that we're reaching and not getting guys they really want, but I think if Husker fans just wait a little bit longer they'll realize that we got a really good class," Rose said. "I don't think the stars or ratings will matter. ... You bring in a two-star, he's going to come out a four or five-star product. That's all that matters. It's not what comes in, it's what comes out."

I LIKE the sound of that teaser. I guess we just need to wait and see what unfolds in the next couple of weeks.

reality folks....yes we can coach up and make better players out of some 2 and 3 star kids, it happens......but it's a helluva lot easier to coach up a kid with top tier talent, that's the way it is and the way it always will be....we need top tier kids in this program, that end up at Alabama, LSU and USC.

You know, I used to think that too until I saw 4 and 5 star kids come here and they were terrible! So, sorry-it ISN'T the stars that matter, it's what comes out.

Yes, all 5 star recruits turn into great talent and take their teams to National Championships. Alabama, LSU, USC, Texas, those teams have been getting top tier talent from day one, they never had to settle for mid tier talemt and work thier to the top. Pathetic.

Are you being sarcastic? I hope so. In the event you're serious- How many of those top tier kids flopped at Alabama, LSU, USC, Texas. Look at Texas! Oh my gosh! All that talent and they have played like crap for the past 2 years! Look at the teams who had those 2/3 star kids and did well. I like to watch those kinds of teams. Their coaches actually coach them. Take Suh for example. He was nada until Bo came. Now look where he is and where he's going! Look at Danny Woodhead!! Good grief! He didn't even play D1 football and look at him now. He's a running back for the New England Patriots for crying out loud!! Sorry, I'm not drinking that 'star kids are the best' koolaid.

The chance to prove it on the field will come soon enough. For the next 12 days, Rose will be wearing that recruiting hat, doing his best sales pitch for his future team.

And when it's all said and done, he thinks Nebraska fans are going to like what this class looks like. "Some Husker fans complain that we're reaching and not getting guys they really want, but I think if Husker fans just wait a little bit longer they'll realize that we got a really good class," Rose said. "I don't think the stars or ratings will matter. ... You bring in a two-star, he's going to come out a four or five-star product. That's all that matters. It's not what comes in, it's what comes out."

I LIKE the sound of that teaser. I guess we just need to wait and see what unfolds in the next couple of weeks.

reality folks....yes we can coach up and make better players out of some 2 and 3 star kids, it happens......but it's a helluva lot easier to coach up a kid with top tier talent, that's the way it is and the way it always will be....we need top tier kids in this program, that end up at Alabama, LSU and USC.

You know, I used to think that too until I saw 4 and 5 star kids come here and they were terrible! So, sorry-it ISN'T the stars that matter, it's what comes out.

Quality recruits(your 4 and 5 Stars) that came here and were coached by the former staff?? If that is your basis you are need to rethink that mentality a hair. Yes there are recruiting busts here and there, but you are gonna probably win more games with better talent like Hunter said than having a lot walkons play significant roles on the team.

yes, exactly. Good coaches who can coach up talent and all, I love it! But all things equal, I'd still rather have better recruiting classes.

Right now we are less than two weeks from LOI signing day and we have more openings than I can ever remember. We have 11 commits right now. I know we have a small class, but it isn't that small. We have room for what? 17? 18? more? I don't know the exact number, but that's a lot of ground to be made up in a very short amount of time. Maybe we'll get that flurry. Maybe we have all these silent commits. I hope so.

No matter how good the coaches are, recruiting is still a numbers game.

It was stated just the other day on the Finebaum program that every team to win the MNC in the last ten years, had a top two recruiting class within two years of winning the championship. That pretty much means something.

I think we have a pretty good class, nothing special, unless Peat comes. But thinking we have these great coaches that turn 2 star players into giant killers is just wrong. Bo has been here about the same amount of time as Saben at Bama, 2 NC and we have won the Big 12 North twice. What is the difference. Better coach, yes. Better talent by miles. (no pun intended). Where will each finish next year, Bama top 5 most likely and hopefully Nebraska will be in the top 15. That is along reach in talent and theirs just keeps getting better and better and we keep just getting average to average.

I am not saying we will ever recruit like Bama or USC, LSU, but we should be able to recruit like Michigan and Ohio State, maybe even Oklahoma. We have major work to do on the recruiting front it seems to me. But this is a good class with quality players, but we need to get 25 of them to even have a chance of closing ground on the elite.

As Saben says, nothing, not practice, not schemes, not coaches, are more important than recruiting, 365 days a year it is his number one priority.

It was stated just the other day on the Finebaum program that every team to win the MNC in the last ten years, had a top two recruiting class within two years of winning the championship. That pretty much means something.

I think we have a pretty good class, nothing special, unless Peat comes. But thinking we have these great coaches that turn 2 star players into giant killers is just wrong. Bo has been here about the same amount of time as Saben at Bama, 2 NC and we have won the Big 12 North twice. What is the difference. Better coach, yes. Better talent by miles. (no pun intended). Where will each finish next year, Bama top 5 most likely and hopefully Nebraska will be in the top 15. That is along reach in talent and theirs just keeps getting better and better and we keep just getting average to average.

I am not saying we will ever recruit like Bama or USC, LSU, but we should be able to recruit like Michigan and Ohio State, maybe even Oklahoma. We have major work to do on the recruiting front it seems to me. But this is a good class with quality players, but we need to get 25 of them to even have a chance of closing ground on the elite.

As Saben says, nothing, not practice, not schemes, not coahces is more important than recruiting, d up 365 days a year it is his priority.

There you go. And even is Saban and staff were equal with Bo and Co, better talent will win.

Raymond stepped on some toes with the whole look and them and us comment, but it does have some truth in that statement just as you pointed out above.

Even if we end in the top 15-20, with an in experienced staff with young kids that does OT make a winning program.

Yes, all 5 star recruits turn into great talent and take their teams to National Championships. Alabama, LSU, USC, Texas, those teams have been getting top tier talent from day one, they never had to settle for mid tier talemt and work thier to the top. Pathetic.

Are you being sarcastic? I hope so. In the event you're serious- How many of those top tier kids flopped at Alabama, LSU, USC, Texas. Look at Texas! Oh my gosh! All that talent and they have played like crap for the past 2 years! Look at the teams who had those 2/3 star kids and did well. I like to watch those kinds of teams. Their coaches actually coach them. Take Suh for example. He was nada until Bo came. Now look where he is and where he's going! Look at Danny Woodhead!! Good grief! He didn't even play D1 football and look at him now. He's a running back for the New England Patriots for crying out loud!! Sorry, I'm not drinking that 'star kids are the best' koolaid.

Sorry, i was on my phone when i wrote that, and i couldn't choose the emoticon for (insert saracasm) I changed it.

Quality recruits(your 4 and 5 Stars) that came here and were coached by the former staff?? If that is your basis you are need to rethink that mentality a hair. Yes there are recruiting busts here and there, but you are gonna probably win more games with better talent like Hunter said than having a lot walkons play significant roles on the team.

How exactly did we win a NC title in 95, 96 and 98? Oh yea, a successful walk-on program. A bunch of nobody's that weren't highly recruited mixed in with some players that were mid tier.

This is gonna turn into another heated agrument about stars and ratings. I know it. I just don't give two cents about stars or ratings. I would much rather see whatever talent comes in and see it take off in the right direction.

I don't think anyone would argue that Texas has had better recruiting classes than us and brings in more talent than we do. And yet two years ago they weren't even bowl eligible and this year they went 8 - 5. 4 - 5 in the Big 12. All that talent didn't seem to take them anywhere close to a NC title run or a BCS bowl game in the past 2 seasons.

We'll never bring in the talent of an SEC team because they cheat,-over sign and stockpile talent, and are generally located within talent-dense loacations- other than Ohio St, who comes close to SEC cheating- (Urban is also going to over-sign, like he did at Florida) we're not going to get close to Michigan in signing top talent- they have all of what we have to offer and are closer to large pools of talent (Chicago-Detroit-Ohio)- lets face it, we need to get what we can where we can and find those guys that can grow into positions- we do not have the prop48 card anymore so lets get over those days-

Do you think coaching at Texas could be a problem possibly? They have lost several coaches from their Last MNC staff, a few years back.

The false hood that nebraska won in the mid 90's with walkons only is almost laughable. WE had plenty of star power on those teams. Maybe not top two, but in the top ten to 15 on a regular basis I believe.

But again, things have changed since those days. Far more is known about athletes now. Who the really good ones are is easier to know than when Tom was doing it. Nebraska out worked other teams to get the level of player we wanted and needed. Now all you do is look at a report/film on the player. Way easier to see who is good and who is all hype. But now these kids know their worth and play the game. Show me the money so to speak, you have to wine and dine, tweet and text, be in their social network.

Again, ten years of records with different schools, but we have not won since 97 and our path is undoubtly correct. Stars are not important, recruiting is only a part time job, and we get what we want.