Nebraska Prestige

bdubb75

winning is winning, its what matters most. also those teams in the '90's that won titles had top 20 classes. they weren't in the top five ever but TO brought in great athletes and coached the hell out of them. i truely believe in this staff as coaches but they do indeed need to up the talent

Nope. Most of TO's classes, including the ones in the 90s, were in the upper teens to mid-twenties.

Agree with the rest of your post. This staff has to start stepping up. If you're labeled a "Defensive Genius," you cannot have a defense that anyone can run on.

A lot has changed since we were a "top program".

Back when I was considering colleges, (And I hadn't yet totally given up the sliver of a dream of playing some more), Nebraska had some mighty powerful draw..

We had Tom Osborn at the helm who even if you never met him, you still knew there was something magical about him and you'd be a better person by being around him.

We were one of the few teams on the two or three channels that brodcast college football.

We were usually in the hunt at the end of every year for the MNC and ALWAYS in a nice bowl.

ASU was a close second (choice) for me because I already had a brother living near Tempe.

95 %. of the girls living out here at the time had great bodies and seemed to wear halter tops constantly except for when they took them off while cliff diving behind you as you floated down the Salt River surrounded by small "mountains".

But their "winning legend" of a coach was sort of a hothead and I'd had enough of that at home.

It's probably a lot different for "Elite Athletes" who think they can play in the NFL, but there are so many more teams and games shown on TV that you no longer have to go to places with miserable weather to toil for 4-5 years to get yourself seen by pro scouts.

I started showing my scrawny 11year old Son the intricasies of Punting the other day..so he could eventually get a scholarship to DONU or his mom's tOSU, But ...the #1 criteria will probably be what school can get him further after his playing days are over, and hopefully a place where his old man can enjoy the scenery.

a lot of schools can't compete with Stanford, we are but one of many.

I don't see Stanford as that great. Their offense is really good obviously because of Luck and the TEs, along with their RB #33 (that's a sweet number btw) and a good O-Line, but as soft as their defense is, I wouldn't be all that intimidated to play them. I guess it depends on which Nebraska shows up...

But like I said above: until Nebraska wins a BCS game and creates a buzz around the program, it will not be "cool" to play for the Huskers. We've gotta win 11-14 games with the athletes that we have right now and then the better ones will start pouring in.

a lot of schools can't compete with Stanford, we are but one of many.

But like I said above: until Nebraska wins a BCS game and creates a buzz around the program, it will not be "cool" to play for the Huskers. We've gotta win 11-14 games with the athletes that we have right now and then the better ones will start pouring in.

I couldn't agree more. It's a lot easier to sell your program if there is the perception of winning. However, its great to actually win. It all starts this spring. Time to get to work. GBR

Of course we have not lost any prestige. We are the best program and everybody wants to play here! With the amazing recruiting class we have, we'll be winning multiple national titles over the next five years. GBR!!

dspanther05, how dare you be so negatve! That will not be tolerated here!

I'm not gonna lie, your posts are way past the point of irrelevancy. In one week you went from negative about everything (then got criticized for being negative) to unrealistically positive about everything and now you are in a funk worse than the other two: being a jack@$s about everything like these two posts. If you have something beneficial to bring to the board, go ahead and post. That's what this is here for. If you're going to run people off of the site like you are doing by acting like a jr high kid and throwing fits every time somebody says something about your posts, then you're better off finding a new board to post on.

This board finally got rid of redtillimdead, nebraska option, and a couple other 12-year-old posters, and then you came along... seriously...

• Fire 2

Is it lost? The recruiting numbers are just sad to me when Virginia and other schools are above us. Have we lost a step or am I overanalyzing?

i'm seeing Virginia behind us http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/teamrank/2012/all/all showing NU at #24

Anyhow I like our chances and when does a ranking ever matter.

There's your answer. These rankings are fruitless. They mean NADA unless you're selling ad time. I saw where Tommy Armstrong was ranked #5 by one service and #51 by another. Bunk .... Plain and simple. And fruitless until they mature in system and produce !!!

Don't you think that some of this is cyclical? Everyone is holding Alabama up as the current gold standard but they've had their poor years too. I see Nebraska moving up. Bo's had some time to pick the kids he wants, he has coaches that he trusts, it's going to be exciting to see how this all turns out. Call me optimistic, Sally Sunshine Pumper or whatever but I think it's going to be an interesting year. (I'm also one of those types who don't put too much merit into the 'star' rankings. I've seen too many of them in my lifetime end up in the toilet...they simply didn't live up to their hype.)