Very Encouraging Class

Wisky had the 10th best class in the Big10. I wonder what their fans are saying. We get the number 3 class, and you would think we had a losing season around here. It was a great class, we start winning the Big10 and we can compete with OSU and Michigan, but we still probably wont finish above them. Its the way it is, no talent in NE.

(8th ranked fwiw)

And you're assuming our programs are equal. No offense to Wisconsin, but they are at the highest point they've ever been (at least as far as I can remember). It'll take more than a poorly ranked recruiting class to get them off their cloud. Besides, they are used to it. They've never been better than 6th, usually around 8th.

Ultimately, Wisconsin can get away with it due to the style of football they play. Tom Osborne could get away with it (even though he had some highly ranked classes in his day). And honestly, I think Beck has us headed in a direction where Nebraska should be able to get away with it. If he doesn't he's the wrong man for the job. I DO NOT think that we could have won with Callahan/Watson without top 10-15 classes. I think to run those sort of offenses you need elite tallent. But I think Beck has us heading in a different direction, hopefully one that won't require that level of tallent. However, every time I hear the word "multiple" I think "complex" and "we need better athletes". That word is still getting tossed around so I'm still worried.

Bo and the defense on the other hand...I think he proved this year how dependent that defense is on elite playmakers. If you look at this class from just a defensive perspective...I believe he got them. I'm not all that happy with the class as a whole, mainly because it's a numbers game and we undersigned. But on the defensive side of the ball we plugged an imediate hole at DB, and stockpiled some DTs, LBrs. I am worried about the DBs 2 years from now, but next year's JUCO signees should fix that.

A lot is riding on Beck now though. Bo took 11 guys out of this class. That leaves Beck w/ 6. Beck likely is only going to get 2-3 guys into the 2-deap considering about 50% wash out. Tough job he has. That's where I'm most worried. Offensively we missed.

Frank was fired because he wasn't going to keep us to what we were accustomed to. Bo gets to stay because we are accustomed to it now! So ask yourselves. If Bo had followed TO how would you feel about him now?

Who knows? He'd be taking over an established winner instead of the sh#t pile Callahan left behind.

• Fire 3

Frank was fired because he wasn't going to keep us to what we were accustomed to. Bo gets to stay because we are accustomed to it now! So ask yourselves. If Bo had followed TO how would you feel about him now?

Who knows? He'd be taking over an established winner instead of the sh#t pile Callahan left behind.

Ouch, that one is worth +10. Can't wait for the response.........wait that would need to have facts to back it up so I doubt we'll get one

Silly?

Rushing YPG & YPC go seriously down from 2010 but we have to "pretend" to believe we didn't have good Oline play?

you probably don't need me to tell you this, but the biggest reason for that is now residing in DC. helu provided a huge homerun threat that we didn't have this year. the other reason is that martinez was clearly less fast (and fearless/reckless) than last year. we had a lot less 80 yard runs. that has little to do with blocking (maybe perimeter blocking, but i think that was generally very good). our offense was clearly a lot more efficient and consistent though. last year was largely boom or bust. this year we were able to string together a lot longer of drives, particularly of the type where we shoved the ball down people's throats. obviously burkhead deserves credit for getting the most out of every run, but even he needs blocking to go forward.

and i don't think 21 sacks is bad at all considering we threw the ball 300 times and had a kid with less than stellar awareness playing quarterback. (though i do think taylor made great strides in that department as a sophomore.)

Honestly, talent-wise Bo came into a better situation in 2008 than he would have in 2004, by far.

The previous team fell apart and Bo did a great job putting it back together. But they didn't suck. The HC just messed up spectacularly and lost his team.

Honestly, talent-wise Bo came into a better situation in 2008 than he would have in 2004, by far.

The previous team fell apart and Bo did a great job putting it back together. But they didn't suck. The HC just messed up spectacularly and lost his team.

bo would have won 9 games in 2004. obviousy by fielding a better defense, but just as importantly by not trying to force what offensive talent we had into a west coast offense and continually hanging the defense out to dry. also, the team psyche was in much better shape, coming off of a 10 win season and still having some core values in place, rather than the toxic atmosphere by the end of the callahan era.

agreed that the overall athleticism was better in 2008, though the roster was seriously imbalanced (both by by position and class). the question posed though was about bo taking over for TO, a much more favorable situation.

• Fire 1

If the bold statement was true Frank would have been fired after the 2002 season. There was a lot more going on regarding Frank's firing than was made public. It wasn't as simple as wins and losses.

I think you have a good point in that Bo wouldn't have been as well-received (or, his "honeymoon" wouldn't have lasted as long) if he had succeeded Osborne rather than Callahan. The state of Nebraska Football was far different after Osborne left compared to Callahan, as we all know.

The "honeymoon period" has long since ended with Bo. He doesn't get the grace of "better than the last guy" anymore, and hasn't for over a year. The honeymoon was over for all but the unrealistic die-hards back towards the end of 2010.

If the bold statement was true Frank would have been fired after the 2002 season. There was a lot more going on regarding Frank's firing than was made public. It wasn't as simple as wins and losses.

I think you have a good point in that Bo wouldn't have been as well-received (or, his "honeymoon" wouldn't have lasted as long) if he had succeeded Osborne rather than Callahan. The state of Nebraska Football was far different after Osborne left compared to Callahan, as we all know.

The "honeymoon period" has long since ended with Bo. He doesn't get the grace of "better than the last guy" anymore, and hasn't for over a year. The honeymoon was over for all but the unrealistic die-hards back towards the end of 2010.

Kap, I heard the same thing regarding Coach Solich, and also believe that the reason were why he didn't get the Navy job, that many thought he was a shoo-in for. It could be just hearsay though, so I can't definitively stand behind what I'm saying. However, the 2002 season and the blowout losses 2003 made firing him more 'justifiable'.

Kap, I heard the same thing regarding Coach Solich, and also believe that the reason were why he didn't get the Navy job, that many thought he was a shoo-in for. It could be just hearsay though, so I can't definitively stand behind what I'm saying. However, the 2002 season and the blowout losses 2003 made firing him more 'justifiable'.

It wasn't Navy.......it was Army...........and he could have had the job............he chose NOT to take it................