NCAA puts Nebraska on 2-yr. probation for textbooks case

Nexus

On a serious note... what happened here and why was it inproper? When I was in school I had a part of a scholarship that included a book gratuity... it never ended up being spent on books but that's beside the point. Don't athletic scholarships fund books? If they don't they should

The problem is that they fund required books but not suggested other books. The bookstore was also giving them the optional books which is a violation (apparently).

And I think it went like this -

Manager to minimum wage clerk - "OK, Bob, when the football players come in to get their books, you give them the books that are on the list for the course. I'm going to help Miss Smith with the, ahem, inventory. Do not disturb us or you are fired."

Bob says in squeaky voice "OK boss"

Football player comes in. "Me need book. You got?"

Bob looking at lists, "Which list? The required or recommended?"

"Me late for teacher talk, need books now!"

And the rest is history

• 4 years later...

So we're off probation, then, right?

We've been off probation for a while, but the "repeat offender" window for major violations doesn't expire until February, 2017, meaning if we were to have another of these "major" violations, we could get slapped with large penalties.

No word so far on whether that window is allowed to lapse. It's only a few more months anyway.

• Fire 1

We've been off probation for a while, but the "repeat offender" window for major violations doesn't expire until February, 2017, meaning if we were to have another of these "major" violations, we could get slapped with large penalties.

No word so far on whether that window is allowed to lapse. It's only a few more months anyway.

Ya, god forbid if we should pay for non mandatory textbooks for our STUDENT athletes again.

Thanks. I'm great with dates. ;)