Project the starters

Seems to be some disagreement on David Santos. What LB spot he will play and some posters don't have him starting. I was under the impression he couldve easily burned his redshirt if needed, he was that ready. Thoughts.

They could have burned his RS, but decided to take their lumps last year with who they already had. Looking forward to seeing what D Santos can do. Even though we lose David, our LBers will be much more athletic that last year. This group's upside as a whole is light years from what is was this past season.

holy cow, drown me in Koolaid!........great observation based on what????????? :wtf

Why all the love for Abdullah as Punt Returner? Did Turner have the dropsies in practice or something? To me Turner should be back there for that at the very least and perhaps as KR as well. Frustrating not seeing him on the field more.

Maybe because Abdullah was a mid-season all american? But then the teams quit kicking to him as much.

I saw nothing on punt returns that impressed me. Seems like when the game was on the line we put Burkhead back there just to make sure we secured the ball. As far as the KR success goes, I'd give credit to the blocking more than anything. He did have a nice move on one return that I recall but that is about it. I think Turner would have had a couple TDs this year if given the opportunity.

Seriously? When given the opportunity to return it, he more often than not made the first guy missed and managed to get 15-20 yards. Just cause he didn't take one to the house doesn't mean he wasn't impacting the game.

It seems that Ciante Evans is not predicted by that many to start as a CB. Green seems to be uniformly viewed as starting and then Seisay. Those who do not see Evans as a starter... reasons? Has it more to do with Seisay than Evans... or is it about Evans?

I thought that Evans was starting to be a solid player --- and he has potential to be sure.

Also... Corey Cooper has been moved to OLB. Great athlete. Physical. Any thyought that he might compete for one of the OLB positions? Seems no one thinks so... or perhaps most forgot to consider him. He'll only be a So --- and has some athleticism.

Because Green improved by leaps if not bounds last year to become at least a solid CB, while Evans was still a little sketchy sometimes.

As many question marks as I have about the defensive side of the ball, I feel like we have more options compared to last season, when we were scrambling to find corners and healthy D-lineman.

I'm eager to see who breaks the rotation at DT with everyone healthy. Sure bets for starters are Steinkuhler and Rome. Then you have Randle, Guy, Peat and Kevin Williams fighting for playing time. That group has quite a bit of potential.

LB depth will be similiar to our corners last year. Lots of question marks but lots of options. Compton is a leader and had a great year, Whaley came on towards the end and coaches thought the light finally turned on, if Fisher plays we are in for a long year, between Santos and Zaire I think one, if not both will be impact players.

I like most people think Seisay will start from Day 1. Andrew Green started playing much better, if he has a good spring I look for him to have a solid season. Evans was one of the biggest disappointments from last season. He got way to overhyped, based on him having a few good plays in the Mizzou game in 2010.

If Heard sticks to DB I would almost guarantee he takes a year to redshirt to learn the ropes.

Last thought, LET COURTNEY OSBORNE PLAY! Dude is a playmaker.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems that Ciante Evans is not predicted by that many to start as a CB. Green seems to be uniformly viewed as starting and then Seisay. Those who do not see Evans as a starter... reasons? Has it more to do with Seisay than Evans... or is it about Evans?

I think it has more to do with Green than Evans. Seisay has to be able to replace Dennard, we hope; with the other spot we are still talking about replacing Prince.

A year ago, we all thought it'd be Evans stepping up as the starter opposite Dennard, following his one-game performance vs Missouri or something. He never latched on to that job and I think Green is the incumbent. And not only that, but an incumbent who has developed over the year and shown some pretty positive signs towards the end, especially with regards to being physical.

Is Cooper still at CB? I thought he was down to OLB now, but I am probably thinking of another one of our safeties...

As many question marks as I have about the defensive side of the ball, I feel like we have more options compared to last season, when we were scrambling to find corners and healthy D-lineman.

I'm eager to see who breaks the rotation at DT with everyone healthy. Sure bets for starters are Steinkuhler and Rome. Then you have Randle, Guy, Peat and Kevin Williams fighting for playing time. That group has quite a bit of potential.

LB depth will be similiar to our corners last year. Lots of question marks but lots of options. Compton is a leader and had a great year, Whaley came on towards the end and coaches thought the light finally turned on, if Fisher plays we are in for a long year, between Santos and Zaire I think one, if not both will be impact players.

I like most people think Seisay will start from Day 1. Andrew Green started playing much better, if he has a good spring I look for him to have a solid season. Evans was one of the biggest disappointments from last season. He got way to overhyped, based on him having a few good plays in the Mizzou game in 2010.

If Heard sticks to DB I would almost guarantee he takes a year to redshirt to learn the ropes.

Last thought, LET COURTNEY OSBORNE PLAY! Dude is a playmaker.

Yeah, every single point dead on. I too am completely pumped about the depth on the defensive line. If we have been developing the young men we have on the roster, then we have some 2nd and 3rd year guys that we should all expect to see. I recommend everyone take a look at that depth chart, it is a pretty exciting group of names. Not proven names, but some promising talent when they were recruited. Time to see that coaching ability shine through some of these guys. Baker has got to show me something this year. I believe last season was his worst. I don't know what his statistics looked like and I don't care to look them up, but with my own two eyes I watched the kid get his butt whipped far too many times to count. His hands and upper body strength have got to get better and his first step is still a bit slow and off balance.

Lb'er is such a scary position in my opinion this year. The loss of David is just too hard to look past. Can anyone step into those shoes? I doubt it, but if we can have 2 or 3 guys come in and add some solid playing time without making repeated mistakes, it might be at least a steady group. Not dominating, but steady and reliable I hope. If we dominate, great!

I, like most, was shocked at how bad Ciante looked last year. Really think the kid can still improve though. I expect him to come into the spring frothing at the mouth, ready to fight for that spot. Green certainly made a case for himself though. His play definitely improved, and that is all we can ask from any of these young men. Just keep getting better. Stanley Jean Baptiste still in the rotation? I certainly hope so. He's easily shown he has the athletic ability. With knowledge of the scheme maybe he becomes more involved. My biggest gripe is the man you finished off with. Courtney Osborne!!! Where the hell did he go? What in the world is going on when a playmaker like that is sitting on the sidelines? These coaches begged for playmakers all season long. Aside from Lavonte David, who made more big plays than Osborne 2 years ago? I though Osborne was a superstar and then poof? Gone with the wind. I don't get it, but the time for him to come back was a year September of last year.......I really hope the guy is on the field full time this season.

I'll make this prediction: unless we have about 6 LB's that get injured, Fischer is not going to be starting

He is a Millard North grad like me, so I am puling for him, but he seems timid after the injury. Much like Matt Herian was never the same after his leg injuries.

No offense to your guy, but he was terrible before the injury as well. His body is not meant for college football.