DE Kylie Fitts

Nexus

The NCAA could start by making medical hardships count against your 85. Then hold schools accountable for graduating incoming scholarship players. I thought the NCAA came up with some formula and a way to pull scholarships from schools for not graduating student athletes, but haven't heard much about it.

The NCAA could start by making medical hardships count against your 85. Then hold schools accountable for graduating incoming scholarship players. I thought the NCAA came up with some formula and a way to pull scholarships from schools for not graduating student athletes, but haven't heard much about it.

They don't???

I thought I read somewhere that Alabama had something like 15 medical hardships this year.

They don't???

I thought I read somewhere that Alabama had something like 15 medical hardships this year.

no they dont count agasint your 85

and yes alabma had 15 of em in the last 3 years. Another way around kids not panning out, opening up more room for them to steal guys like Jonathan Cook.

Glad kids are taking notice of these things. I'm hoping some big time sh#t like this goes down at Alabama and LSU.

I seriously want to know what is eventually going to put an end to the SEC's bullcrap recruiting tactics. I know it's all about money, so it's unlikely to change. But it's honestly destroying a lot of the parity in college football. Why do people think Bama whooped on ND so badly on Monday? It's NOT because Saban is THAT good of a coach. He's a good coach... but not THAT good. It's because they've been taking all comers as far as recruits go and figuring out the numbers later.

It just really sickens me and I'd imagine a lot of other fans to hear ESPN and the media at large suck the SEC's nuts so bad when they're so blatantly cheating in order to build depth and talent that other teams can't. I just hope somehow we find a solution to this crap... and SOON!

I have worked in management before, so I've fired people. But I was in Coach Silvey's office when a girls soccer player's scholarship money was cut and it had nothing to do with off the field issues or the classroom. Afterwards we both looked at each other and he told me that it would never be done at his program again. So Wed better work harder at evaluating talent. Those of you who say we need to start forcing attrition, try it.

I have worked in management before, so I've fired people. But I was in Coach Silvey's office when a girls soccer player's scholarship money was cut and it had nothing to do with off the field issues or the classroom. Afterwards we both looked at each other and he told me that it would never be done at his program again. So Wed better work harder at evaluating talent. Those of you who say we need to start forcing attrition, try it.

EZ.....

I completely agree. I work in management and the one single worst think I absolutely hate doing is firing or letting someone go under me. I absolutely hate it.

NOW.....put that in the situation where a coach has to do that to a kid that he knows if he doesn't have that scholarship, his future college career is done and he comes from a family that doesn't have a pot to piss in.

EZ.....

I completely agree. I work in management and the one single worst think I absolutely hate doing is firing or letting someone go under me. I absolutely hate it.

NOW.....put that in the situation where a coach has to do that to a kid that he knows if he doesn't have that scholarship, his future college career is done and he comes from a family that doesn't have a pot to piss in.

The big thing people don't understand is that this is not a business.

We all want to win the big one. A BCS game. A national championship. But we want to do it with our integrity.

If it involves waiting for years where our schedule sets up favorably and a few break hopefully go our way (like 2013!!), that's what we'll have to do. I'm perfectly content being in legitimate NC contention every handful of years as opposed to 3 times in 4 years or every year or what have you... If it means we have to become dirtbags and start treating the young kids we bring onboard as members of a family like numbers instead of people.

• Fire 1

wouldn't the pretty simple solution for forced attrition be that when you offer a scholarship to a student/athlete it is for

4 to 5 years, depending on redshirts. that way the coaches are forced to honor their word that they are going to look

after the kids, because that is what they are.

i just get so po'ed when some coach says it is all about the kids and developing young people and then all the stories of

forced attrition, not renewing the scholarships, and the abuse of medical scholarships happen.

the people that i really blame are the university presidents who allow this to happen at their respective schools. they are

ones that could could put a stop to this next week.

I'm going to look like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth here.

But, you can't just offer a 4-5 year scholarship without some type of stipulations on keeping it. If I get a scholastic scholarship and once I get to college only keep a 1.8 GPA, I'm not going to have that scholarship very long.

So, just simply saying that a scholarship is 100% guaranteed for 4-5 years isn't really the answer either.

wouldn't the pretty simple solution for forced attrition be that when you offer a scholarship to a student/athlete it is for

4 to 5 years, depending on redshirts. that way the coaches are forced to honor their word that they are going to look

after the kids, because that is what they are.

i just get so po'ed when some coach says it is all about the kids and developing young people and then all the stories of

forced attrition, not renewing the scholarships, and the abuse of medical scholarships happen.

the people that i really blame are the university presidents who allow this to happen at their respective schools. they are

ones that could could put a stop to this next week.

IIRC, they put something in that you COULD offer a four year scholarship but I haven't heard about anybody doing it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong or maybe they just talked about doing that but it didn't get finalized.

I'm going to look like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth here.

But, you can't just offer a 4-5 year scholarship without some type of stipulations on keeping it. If I get a scholastic scholarship and once I get to college only keep a 1.8 GPA, I'm not going to have that scholarship very long.

So, just simply saying that a scholarship is 100% guaranteed for 4-5 years isn't really the answer either.

no your right there has to be stipualtions in the grant in aid paperwork. behavorial, classroom progress, etc, but those are already there.

i'm just saying that you recruited the kid and had to have them then through no fault of the kid another player is better than him wants to come

to your school you should not be able to bascially discard the first kid.

How about this.

If you offer a kid a scholarship and he comes to college, works his butt off in the class room, keeps his grades up and is working towards his degree but it doesn't work out on the field, the football program can let the kid go from the football team, but he is guaranteed the scholarship to school and the academic help the athletic program offers. And, that scholarship does not count towards the 85 anymore.

Meaning, if it doesn't work out on the field, the kid is still guaranteed his education and the football program is footing the bill. BUT, the football team can move on to someone who is excelling both in the class room AND on the field as far as the team goes.

How about this.

If you offer a kid a scholarship and he comes to college, works his butt off in the class room, keeps his grades up and is working towards his degree but it doesn't work out on the field, the football program can let the kid go from the football team, but he is guaranteed the scholarship to school and the academic help the athletic program offers. And, that scholarship does not count towards the 85 anymore.

Meaning, if it doesn't work out on the field, the kid is still guaranteed his education and the football program is footing the bill. BUT, the football team can move on to someone who is excelling both in the class room AND on the field as far as the team goes.

that is a whole can of worms that would be opened on top of the medical scholarships.

i just feel that if you are going to offer and accept someones commitment to come play and study at your school then there needs to a 4 to 5 year commitment on

the schools end.