The Religious Discussion of 2012

You can't prove that there isn't a god any more than you can prove that there is a god.

Which is why it is called "Faith." Put your trust in God and put your worldly thoughts and doubts to the side.

It also doesn't mean that there isn't God. It also doesn't mean that Jesus didn't get tortured, died and was buried and on the third day rise again in glory. It only means that you choose not to believe his statements. chuckleshuffle

Over 2500 years ago, the entire Greek world believed the Earth was controlled my Gods and Goddesses, and almost nobody believes in that anymore. 2000 years from now, people may view Christianity/Buddhism/Islam as stupid and have some other form of belief system in place. Who are any of us to claim religious superiority?

The reason the religion went away is because they had nothing concrete to reinforce their beliefs. I like Greek mythology a lot, but it's just that: a myth.

The difference with Christianity is that God sent his only son to Earth to do 2 things:

1) reinforce faith in Him

2) to take away our sins so that we could have eternal life, as long as we believe in Jesus Christ

Whether you choose to believe that or not is up to you. I hope you believe in your heart that Jesus gave us the ultimate gift, but if not, there is nothing that I can do about it.

Exactly, there's no proof. There's nothing concrete to reinforce it.

^^^

You can't prove that there isn't a god any more than you can prove that there is a god.

Which is why it is called "Faith." Put your trust in God and put your worldly thoughts and doubts to the side.

If it's all about faith then why did you tout your proof?

http://www.huskerboa...post__p__923186

I'll put my trust in reason, not faith, but thanks for the offer. Believe me . . . I used to be heavily involved in the church. Those days have passed. They might for you too.

The reason the religion went away is because they had nothing concrete to reinforce their beliefs. I like Greek mythology a lot, but it's just that: a myth.

The difference with Christianity is that God sent his only son to Earth to do 2 things:

2) to take away our sins so that we could have eternal life, as long as we believe in Jesus Christ

Whether you choose to believe that or not is up to you. I hope you believe in your heart that Jesus gave us the ultimate gift, but if not, there is nothing that I can do about it.

Zoroastrianism predates Christianity by many centuries and still exists today. If our litmus test is longevity, Christianity isn't the forerunner.

There are a number of parallels between Jesus' life/deeds/birth/godhead and those of Horus, Romulus and Gilgamesh, among others. The virgin birth, the son of god, the king of kings, these were all themes being used by other religions at the time the New Testaments were written.

An Omnipotent God has no need of a savior to wipe away sins. If He wanted our sins wiped away, he'd just wipe them away. He would also have made us sinless, and we would never have been placed in this sinful world in the first place - we would have been put in Heaven with God where he wants us. The whole Earthly existence we live is completely unnecessary, and contraindicates a loving, fatherly God.

The difference with Christianity is that God sent his only son to Earth

Can you "prove" God sent his only son to Earth, or do you just keep saying that over and over again with no proof?

Well they haven't invented the time machine yet, so I guess you will just have to wait.

Can you "prove" God sent his only son to Earth, or do you just keep saying that over and over again with no proof?

Well they haven't invented the time machine yet, so I guess you will just have to wait.

So, that's a 'no' then.

And while we're waiting can we agree that believing in something other than Christianity isn't necessarily ignorant?

It also doesn't mean that there isn't God. It also doesn't mean that Jesus didn't get tortured, died and was buried and on the third day rise again in glory. It only means that you choose not to believe his statements. chuckleshuffle

Over 2500 years ago, the entire Greek world believed the Earth was controlled my Gods and Goddesses, and almost nobody believes in that anymore. 2000 years from now, people may view Christianity/Buddhism/Islam as stupid and have some other form of belief system in place. Who are any of us to claim religious superiority?

I see it as a religion based on guilt, shame, and fear. An omnipotent being that is somehow so codependant that it requires everyone to continually beg forgiveness for being as they were made by said omnipotent being, or it will have you tortured for the rest of eternity is not something I can subscribe to. And I don't belive the concept of sin.

And I can hope your eyes get opened at some point in your life and you can see past what you have been told, and ask questions for yourself. Yes, I did grow up going to chuch, but as I got older, and asked questions it became clear to me that it was not something I could be a part of. I have heard it said before that the fastest way to make Christians into agnostics or athiests is to have them actually read the Bible, and that was certainly the case for me.

• Fire 1

What about the qoute that God made man in his own image? Wasn't Adam the first human God made? :dunno

I believe you are misinterpreting the word "man". The word "man" used in this context generally refers to humans in general. So if he created Adam and just Adam and no females, then we could say that God is a Him. But he didn't, he created Eve and females along with males so we can't really assign a gender to God.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And now I'll interject some of my own personal beliefs. First of all, there is absolutely NO PROOF (and I underlined, italicized, and bolded it so you get the message) that God or Jesus or the Holy Spirit (you know, the Trinity) is/was a physical being. The proof that a lot of Christians (and followers of other religions as well) cite comes from their own faith that God does exist in some shape or form and that there is a life after this. However, they often fail to look deeper into any "miracles" that are used as "proof". There is an underlying, (perhaps scientific) reason behind everything. Things don't happen just because.

I always get a kick out of the hypocrisy I see behind religion. My favorite is the whole, it's my way or we'll burn you at the stake. Committing murder isn't good, but if you're murdering a heretic or a non-believer than it is PERFECTLY OKAY as if the definition of murder changes...

My personal belief is that we as humans should treat each other with respect and be kind to each other until a person has done something (and this excludes religion, politics, etc...) that makes them a "less honorable" person. For example, I met a strange while I was in Colorado. We talked and talked and talked for hours upon hours about anything and everything and we became really good friends. A couple of the things we didn't mention when we first talked were political and religious views. So I asked her. She said she was atheist (I'm Protestant) and conservative (I view myself as more liberal).

NOTHING CHANGED. Nothing should have changed, because even though our views were completely polar she was still the very nice, charming, well rounded young lady. And I was still me. I think you get what I'm trying to say.

Before I get hammered on by those who will think that I'm standing on my high-horse, I acknowledge that I am not the best person--hell I acknowledge that I'm worse than a majority of you guys.

I only opinion-ate what I believe is right much in the same that any one who thinks differently vocalizes what he or she thinks is right. To think any less of a person simply because of their beliefs is extremely petty. Thoughts are not actions.

I'm still not sure what some people would consider proof. The proof is around you each and every day. As far as proof about Jesus, I don't know what you want. A YouTube video showing him walking on water?

I'll be quite honest, I read the Bible and believe in its words, but there is a great deal of the Bible that is missing from its original version. Certain books were removed from the Bible over time by denominations so that the book's words would fit their denomination better, and they could use the Bible to manipulate people. You have no idea how much I would love to know what was really in the entirety of the original Bible. I've heard stories, and some of the things in it may be what people are looking for in terms of "proof" or answers.

There were a couple of times when I have questioned the existence or intent of God. Once was four years ago when my cousin--who was also my best friend at the time-- died of leukemia. The other was about a year and a half ago after I had an ugly breakup with my girlfriend at that time. I won't get into specifics, but those things really changed my outlook on life. I realized that God is the only real thing in this world, and once I did, things just began to look up. I realized that God has a plan greater than you can even imagine.

I hope you guys find the answers you're looking for. Instead of looking at the Bible as proof of God's existence--since most of you seem to be skeptical of the Bible--just look at the things around you. None of it would have been possible without a "higher power" at work. That higher power is God, and He loves each and every one of us more than you can imagine. The least you can do to repay Him for His love is to believe in Him and to live your life according to His words. Dedicate your life to serving Him, and forget about worldly worries and doubts.

• Fire 2