Braylon Heard moving to DB for the Spring, possibly permanent

Braylon Heard is set to try his hand at cornerback this spring, Nebraska coach Bo Pelini confirmed Thursday.

"I think he has the ability to be really good there," Pelini said.

Heard, a 5-foot-11, 180-pound sophomore, last season rushed 25 times for 114 yards (4.6 per carry) in a backup role at running back. The Huskers return All-Big Ten running back Rex Burkhead as well as experienced sophomores Ameer Abdullah and Aaron Green.

A product of Cardinal Mooney High School in Youngstown, Ohio, Heard played both running back and cornerback in high school. As a junior, he played well enough on defense to earn postseason honors.

"I would've taken him as a corner coming out (of high school)," Pelini said. "I like him as a running back, too. I still think he could be a running back.

"We just presented (the change) to him. A big part of the decision is up to the kid. Is this a permanent deal? We don't know."

LINK

When we first heard mumblings about this a few weeks back I liked the idea. those 3 (now) sophmore backs are all very skilled athletically and it's pretty much a must that in their 2nd year you find ways to get them on the field. It's gonna be difficult enough finding touches for Abdullah and Green, much less Bell and Turner, with Rex back there, so this should ease a little anxiety in the backfield that must certainly be going on.

It may also be a revelation that Heard may have been the farthest from gettin significant touches, or he is the most athelitically skilled so that his services are most needed in the secondary

When we first heard mumblings about this a few weeks back I liked the idea. those 3 (now) sophmore backs are all very skilled athletically and it's pretty much a must that in their 2nd year you find ways to get them on the field. It's gonna be difficult enough finding touches for Abdullah and Green, much less Bell and Turner, with Rex back there, so this should ease a little anxiety in the backfield that must certainly be going on.

It may also be a revelation that Heard may have been the farthest from gettin significant touches, or he is the most athelitically skilled so that his services are most needed in the secondary

my guess is he was the least likely to make any noise playing out of the backfield.....so nothing lost on trying to make a servicable DB out of him.

my guess is he was the least likely to make any noise playing out of the backfield.....so nothing lost on trying to make a servicable DB out of him.

You may be right, and that's no knock on his skills when you've got guys like Burkhead, Green and Abdullah back there.

That's the highest probability in my eyes as well. He just seemed to alway get the least amount of time last year.

I'm honestly getting tired of this crap. Why can't Bo recruit players for a specific position and then let them play the position they were recruited for in the first place? I don't see Alabama, LSU, USC or any other top school playing constant musical chairs with what positions kids will play and it's getting borderline f'ing ridiculous. How in the world is a kid supposed to get better and become excellent at one position when he's there for a season and switches?

Braylon worked too hard to get here to become a Mendoza. The kid is one hell of an athlete and could play for any team in the country in my opinion. If he is better at corner than he is at RB then it should be amazing because I thought he was a natural with the ball in his hands at running back. Hope this works out for him, we could use some playmakers at both positions in my opinion. We only got Rex for one more season.

• Fire 1

Let us not forget, he played DB in HS, pretty good to I hear, perhaps between the players returning at RB, he was the logical choice to make a switch, if one were to make one. He's not moving due to lack of talent at RB, rather his athletic ability to play both sides of the ball. I could be mistaken on this fact, but I seem to remember another player recruited as a RB and Bo, switched him to CB. Prince fared pretty well in that position. Let Bo make the calls, this team is on the rise, we have more young talent across the board, than I can remember since early 90s, not saying that's what we have now, but look at the last three classes and how much talent is there, we've changed conferences, playing a tougher schedule than is our norm, and for the most part, a completely different type of play, For me, it was like a bowl game nearly every week. Some great games, some heartaches, but we finished the season 9-4, considering all the events of the season, I'd say not bad, not bad at all boys. GBR

I'm honestly getting tired of this crap. Why can't Bo recruit players for a specific position and then let them play the position they were recruited for in the first place? I don't see Alabama, LSU, USC or any other top school playing constant musical chairs with what positions kids will play and it's getting borderline f'ing ridiculous. How in the world is a kid supposed to get better and become excellent at one position when he's there for a season and switches?

I'd say for the vast majority of the players, he does let players play the position they were recruited for. So to say he can't do it is a bunch of fooey. Be gone with that nonsense. Also, I'd be surprised if he forces kids to switch positions. I'm more inclined to suspect it's something both the coaches and players agree is best for the player. You should be spewing the same amount of venom at Heard.