OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

I want to prefess this by saying...: I in NO way want this to be construed as racist.

With BB being predomonately inhabited by African American players would it behove us to look for an African American coach? Would it give us a little more of an advantage in recruiting and would it be smar to start recruiting the same players as the Norfolk States of the world?

T_O_B

G>B>R

No, there is a reason they are a 15 seed team. They may have played lights out today, but they will come back down to earth.

As far as hiring a black coach, there are some damn good ones out there, but I dont think players look at the race of the coach when picking a school. Otherwise, Roy Williams, Coach K, Bill Self, Tom Izzo, Jim Calhoun, Jim Boeheim, Brad Stevens etc. wouldn't be successful.

Well after doing some research on most of our current candidates and after watching Ohio tonight, I've seen enough. I know a couple tourney upsets dont make a coach, but Gross gets the nod from me anyway.

I'm sure you'd be saying this if Ohio had gotten their doors blown off.

eyeswear2allthatsholy

But they didn't. Isn't that the whole point?

I want to prefess this by saying...: I in NO way want this to be construed as racist.

With BB being predomonately inhabited by African American players would it behove us to look for an African American coach? Would it give us a little more of an advantage in recruiting and would it be smar to start recruiting the same players as the Norfolk States of the world?

T_O_B

G>B>R

I wouldn't read that as racist. In fact, a few weeks ago, there was quite a bit of commentary going around about how Nebraska has never hired a minority Head Coach in any sport and whether or not other schools used that against us in recruiting. Personally, I like the color blind approach..........just hire the BEST CANDIDATE ! However, there is no denying that this vacancy presents an opportunity to address a "perceived" issue of lack of diversity. Plenty of quality candidates around of all backgrounds.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I wouldn't read that as racist. In fact, a few weeks ago, there was quite a bit of commentary going around about how Nebraska has never hired a minority Head Coach in any sport and whether or not other schools used that against us in recruiting. Personally, I like the color blind approach..........just hire the BEST CANDIDATE ! However, there is no denying that this vacancy presents an opportunity to address a "perceived" issue of lack of diversity. Plenty of quality candidates around of all backgrounds.

What in the hell is diversity?

T_O_B

G>B>R

What in the hell is diversity?

I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship, used in the Civil War era.

Well after doing some research on most of our current candidates and after watching Ohio tonight, I've seen enough. I know a couple tourney upsets dont make a coach, but Gross gets the nod from me anyway.

I'm sure you'd be saying this if Ohio had gotten their doors blown off.

eyeswear2allthatsholy

You may be right. Maybe not. But it didnt happen that way. Plus I see him as most likely the best we can get. I know you feel like we should go after Tom Izzo or Coach K, but that's just not gonna happen, and Nick Saban is not going to replace Bo Pelini either.

Haven't paid much attention to this thread and I'm not gonna take the time to read through it to see if someone has already mentioned this guy. I know he would be a long shot, but what about Danny Manning? He most likely wouldn't stay here long but I'm sure he could at least get this program heading in the right direction, and I'm more than certain this guy would be able to recruit.

Manning has already turned down an interview. So take him off of your list.

Probably been hashed to death, but the continuing rumor of Howland at UCLA has me puzzled. After reading the Sports Illustrated article AGAIN, it's hard to fathom how T.O. could seriously even consider this guy! What a jackal.
SI hasn't really had a strong record as of late on these investigative stories of programs gone bad. They has as much fiction as they do fact. And the interest came more from his end than it did ours. His people came to us. That's very attractive when a good coach wants you.