OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

There are mumblings that Miles would be open to Erik Strickland being on the staff.

And Tim Miles has turned that CSU program around. Sorry "some people" can't actually look at his past work and see what a credible coach the guy is. Nebraska wasn't going to get any "big name" guys like Stevens, Smart, Marshall. They were pipe dreams that the majority here knew that, but wished/dreamed big that the 1% chance may happen.

Miles had to hold open tryouts to fill the roster when he first got to Ft. Collins. That is a Division 1 program that had to scour the campus to field a full team. That is crazy. He inherited a mess then took them to the CBI two years ago, the NIT last year and the big dance this year. With what CSU had coming back(pretty much everyone) a repeat visit and potential win was very probable there.\

An assistant like Coleman is someone that this program has needed BADLY for years. His AAU ties to Chicago are very good, like his former teams were AAU champs, and a national force.

Was I iffy on the name when it first came out, yeah. But after digging deeper and learning more about the guy, you have to like the potential move.

There are mumblings that Miles would be open to Erik Strickland being on the staff.

And Tim Miles has turned that CSU program around. Sorry "some people" can't actually look at his past work and see what a credible coach the guy is. Nebraska wasn't going to get any "big name" guys like Stevens, Smart, Marshall. They were pipe dreams that the majority here knew that, but wished/dreamed big that the 1% chance may happen.

Miles had to hold open tryouts to fill the roster when he first got to Ft. Collins. That is a Division 1 program that had to scour the campus to field a full team. That is crazy. He inherited a mess then took them to the CBI two years ago, the NIT last year and the big dance this year. With what CSU had coming back(pretty much everyone) a repeat visit and potential win was very probable there.\

An assistant like Coleman is someone that this program has needed BADLY for years. His AAU ties to Chicago are very good, like his former teams were AAU champs, and a national force.

Was I iffy on the name when it first came out, yeah. But after digging deeper and learning more about the guy, you have to like the potential move.

I agree. Nebraska isn't nearly as bad off as that. He struggled a lot in his first two seasons at Colorado State, but if Almeida and Diaz could get/stay healthy he could have a fairly decent team to work with next year.

FWIW, Danny Nee did a radio interview today with 93.7 The Ticket discussing the challenges of the Nebraska coaching job. He really likes the idea of Scott Sutton leading Nebraska but also had good things to say about both John Groce (but doesn't think we have a shot at him) and Rob Jeter. The podcast was a good listen if you're curious to hear his thoughts as well as some reminiscing on his 1996 NIT championship team.

Is Scott Sutton Eddie Sutton's son?

T_O_B

G>B>R

I agree. Nebraska isn't nearly as bad off as that. He struggled a lot in his first two seasons at Colorado State, but if Almeida and Diaz could get/stay healthy he could have a fairly decent team to work with next year.

I would not be shocked one iota if Diaz doesn't return. I would look at Ubel and Talley, and hopefully an in-shape Almeida and think "Well, there is something to work with".

FWIW, Danny Nee did a radio interview today with 93.7 The Ticket discussing the challenges of the Nebraska coaching job. He really likes the idea of Scott Sutton leading Nebraska but also had good things to say about both John Groce (but doesn't think we have a shot at him) and Rob Jeter. The podcast was a good listen if you're curious to hear his thoughts as well as some reminiscing on his 1996 NIT championship team.

Is Scott Sutton Eddie Sutton's son?

T_O_B

G>B>R

Yes

I would not be shocked one iota if Diaz doesn't return. I would look at Ubel and Talley, and hopefully an in-shape Almeida and think "Well, there is something to work with".

Exactly. And someone needs to give him Akoy's (sp?) cell number. (although I don't think you can recruit until the tourney is over)

Does anyone have any ideas on why we can't hire a great men's basketball coach?

OK here we go.

Ever since Bob Davaney came and we ended up with back to back NC's Nebraska has been a football school. After Davaney Osborne gave us 25 years of success. Never winning less than 9 games a season and many of those years were 9 win seasons when a team didn't play 11, 12 or 13 games in a season. Nebraska also went to 25 straight bowl games and the Osbourne Era ended with three more NC's in his last 4 years. When your fan base doesn't really notice that BB is being played until sometime around mid-January and there is maybe 6 weeks of the season left and then combine that with mediocre teams... Well there you have it. What coach wants to come into a situation like that?

T_O_B

G>B>R

Exactly. And someone needs to give him Akoy's (sp?) cell number. (although I don't think you can recruit until the tourney is over)

According to Sam McKewon, Akoy already holds a CSU offer, so Miles is already familiar with him. He's also showing heavy interest in Akoy's teammate, Sophomore Tre'Shawn Thurman.

Ever since Bob Davaney came and we ended up with back to back NC's Nebraska has been a football school. After Davaney Osborne gave us 25 years of success. Never winning less than 9 games a season and many of those years were 9 win seasons when a team didn't play 11, 12 or 13 games in a season. Nebraska also went to 25 straight bowl games and the Osbourne Era ended with three more NC's in his last 4 years. When your fan base doesn't really notice that BB is being played until sometime around mid-January and there is maybe 6 weeks of the season left and then combine that with mediocre teams... Well there you have it. What coach wants to come into a situation like that?

T_O_B

G>B>R

So what came first, the chicken or the egg? I don't believe the explanation of why we can't hire a great men's basketball coach is because we're a "football" school. We have an awesome women's volleyball team--which plays to packed arenas during football season, the women's basketball team is rising, we are very good to great in wrestling, solid in soccer, swimming, and gymnastics.

Well....wow, as completely unconvinced I am of MIles being "the one" him turning us down would be incredibly embarassing.

From the Journal Star "

Tim Miles, the men's basketball coach at Colorado State, flew back home from Lincoln on Friday, and told The Coloradoan he plans to speak with CSU administrators about an offer from Nebraska

Could he just be using us as a way to get a raise?