Trayvon Martin and "Stand Your Ground" in FL

The point that you are missing or just ignoring is that same area had break ins. Martin went the same route that a burglar would go. then he went to the sidewalk. Then he noticed Zimmerman's truck and walked up to it and then started running. Who in the f#*k does that? Only someone who is running from something that he shouldn't be doing or in possession of. Sorry but if your area has been known to have break ins the last thing you should be doing is acting like you fixing to rob a house. You are putting too much emphasis on the gun.

What?

read the transcript.

Show me the evidence that "Martin went the same route that a burglar would go."

• Fire 1

SYG means that if you are confronted by an attacker and your life is endangered, you are not required to flee if you have the means to defend yourself. This differs from other states (IA is different IIRC) where you have the duty to retreat. It's an extension of the castle doctrine (which 46 of 50 states have). Example: someone breaks into your house, and you have the opportunity to run out the back door. In IA (I believe) you're required to flee if you can. In FL, you are not.

Simply being followed doesn't count. Only if Zimmerman threatened Martin (brandished a weapon, charged at him, etc...) would SYG apply.

Martin only needs to reasonably feel that his life is threatened for SYG to apply. There is no requirement that Zimmerman actually threaten or intend to threaten Martin.

• Fire 1

the post of someone who has been called out? just answer the question. If Zimmerman had some other weapon like a bat, knife, etc would you be saying he shouldn't have had those since to you Zimmerman shouldn't have had a gun?

no.

guns aren't illegal and he can have a gun if he wants. So quit saying that he shouldn't have had a gun.

the post of someone who has been called out? just answer the question. If Zimmerman had some other weapon like a bat, knife, etc would you be saying he shouldn't have had those since to you Zimmerman shouldn't have had a gun?

no.

guns aren't illegal and he can have a gun if he wants. So quit saying that he shouldn't have had a gun.

i am not 100% sure i ever did say he should not have had a gun. however, in my experience, getting charged with a violent felony (even if the charges are dropped or reduced) and having a protection order against you prohibit your possession of guns. i understand that he legally owned the gun he had, just not sure he should have.

no.

i am not 100% sure i ever did say he should not have had a gun. however, in my experience, getting charged with a violent felony (even if the charges are dropped or reduced) and having a protection order against you prohibit your possession of guns. i understand that he legally owned the gun he had, just not sure he should have.

why? so would you be ok having someone else dictate what you can and can't have?

no.

"Charged with" or "convicted of"?

"Charged with" or "convicted of"?

charged with. from my understanding, the feds look at the context of the charge(s) rather than just the disposition. so usually a defendant would want the charge(s) completely dropped and then recharged rather than just reduced. even then, the defendant would still have to hope for the best. again, that is just my understanding and it could be different in florida.

• 1 month later...