Offensive Line

Pensick has the most experience at C. He is the most sound there at the moment and is running with the 1's. BUT Justin Jackson has been blowing coaches away with his athleticism, motor, physicality, and intensity. They have outright said he is the best athlete at the position and the most aggressive. He needs a lot of reps to get to where Pensick is with the mental aspect of the game and the consistency in snaps/coming off the ball, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson ends up being our center somewhere down the line in the fall. If he can make the mental surge and get consistent by practicing with Taylor a lot during the summer, then look for him to move up and take the position.

I could have seen ARod moving to center before I could see him moving to tackle. Just something that seemed to make a little more sense to me since we already have Sirles at the other tackle spot opposite of Moore.

We need 4 OT's without a drop off. With the Rodriguez move, we've now got Moore, Sirles, A-Rod, Qvale all as guys 6'6" or taller, over 300lbs, all with playing experience. That gives us a really good 2 deep.

We also need 4 OG's without a drop off. With Long, Choi, Thompson and some other very talented young guys (Reeves, Klachko, Price, Thurston, Whitaker) we have depth at the OG position as well.

We need 2 C's without a drop off. Pensick and Jackson will be these guys.

With that being said, our O-Line will have a solid 2-deep this year with a lot of young guys right behind them on the come. As one of the BIG 10 announcers said, Nebraska has 23 O-Linemen on the roster right now. That's the most of any Big 10 school they have visited this spring... one of the schools had as few as 8 on the roster.

Sad we have no depth at center, at all. Hopefully someone will step up. I hope that the competition is intense and extremely close so that we can get some depth and experience.

I think we have depth or at least the appearance of it (lets be honest, at this time every year we are talking about depth on the o-line), just no proven starter or anyone with real experience. We have 3 2nd string guys battling it out right now. Not unusual when your starting center for 2 years graduates.

• Fire 1

Pensick has the most experience at C. He is the most sound there at the moment and is running with the 1's. BUT Justin Jackson has been blowing coaches away with his athleticism, motor, physicality, and intensity. They have outright said he is the best athlete at the position and the most aggressive. He needs a lot of reps to get to where Pensick is with the mental aspect of the game and the consistency in snaps/coming off the ball, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson ends up being our center somewhere down the line in the fall. If he can make the mental surge and get consistent by practicing with Taylor a lot during the summer, then look for him to move up and take the position.

Dang straight!

I know we have this discussion a lot about the DB's, specifically the safeties... but it would be nice to finally see a superior athlete win out a position as opposed to the person with the person who knows the scheme the best. Yeah, it's the old Cassidy vs. Smith/Osborne discussion... albeit at center. But I think if JJ can get to a point where he is only a little bit behind Pensick mentally knowing the blocking schemes, it'd be cool to see us roll the dice with him. It may be less safe but gives the OL the higher ceiling.

However, that's never been Bo's MO, so it'll be interesting to watch and see what happens.

Dang straight!

I know we have this discussion a lot about the DB's, specifically the safeties... but it would be nice to finally see a superior athlete win out a position as opposed to the person with the person who knows the scheme the best. Yeah, it's the old Cassidy vs. Smith/Osborne discussion... albeit at center. But I think if JJ can get to a point where he is only a little bit behind Pensick mentally knowing the blocking schemes, it'd be cool to see us roll the dice with him. It may be less safe but gives the OL the higher ceiling.

However, that's never been Bo's MO, so it'll be interesting to watch and see what happens.

scheme, knowing what to do while you are on the field is always going to be first with Bo.......not saying it is wrong, just saying that is who he is!

Dang straight!

Exactly, and what's unfortunate is that if given the first few out of conference games, JJ likely would pass Pensick in the mental department as well - but because he likely won't know the schemes as well going into the season, he won't get that chance...and because he doesn't get that chance he'll have an extremely tough time catching Pensick. Each game he starts, is probably worth 10 practices. Give the kid 1-2 games - for no other reason than his potential. The sad thing is that he'll likely have the schemes by mid-season and earn the starts...but by then we just wasted 6 games of experience for him.

Dang straight!

Exactly, and what's unfortunate is that if given the first few out of conference games, JJ likely would pass Pensick in the mental department as well - but because he likely won't know the schemes as well going into the season, he won't get that chance...and because he doesn't get that chance he'll have an extremely tough time catching Pensick. Each game he starts, is probably worth 10 practices. Give the kid 1-2 games - for no other reason than his potential. The sad thing is that he'll likely have the schemes by mid-season and earn the starts...but by then we just wasted 6 games of experience for him.

The other issue, is that JJ is a senior, and Pensick is a Junior. If 2013 is set up for a run, do you want a 2 year starter at Center?

Dang straight!

The other issue, is that JJ is a senior, and Pensick is a Junior. If 2013 is set up for a run, do you want a 2 year starter at Center?

I didn't even look at that. I retract my prior statement :)

I could have seen ARod moving to center before I could see him moving to tackle. Just something that seemed to make a little more sense to me since we already have Sirles at the other tackle spot opposite of Moore.

We need 4 OT's without a drop off. With the Rodriguez move, we've now got Moore, Sirles, A-Rod, Qvale all as guys 6'6" or taller, over 300lbs, all with playing experience. That gives us a really good 2 deep.

We also need 4 OG's without a drop off. With Long, Choi, Thompson and some other very talented young guys (Reeves, Klachko, Price, Thurston, Whitaker) we have depth at the OG position as well.

With that being said, our O-Line will have a solid 2-deep this year with a lot of young guys right behind them on the come. As one of the BIG 10 announcers said, Nebraska has 23 O-Linemen on the roster right now. That's the most of any Big 10 school they have visited this spring... one of the schools had as few as 8 on the roster.

+1

That's right. It's been a long, long time since we've had talent & depth on the Oline and we're finally starting to get that this year. I just gotta believe Bo & Beck get it.

where are reeves/klatcho/sterup? some more busts for nebraska?

Not busts at all, just young. We've had a few guys step up like Long and Choi so we haven't had to play the others much early. We are finally getting around to taking the time to develop linemen before they see significant minutes.

Pipeline. Woot

Garrison has said in articles that moving ARod is opportunistic because Choi emerged so completely. Choi last year by the end was sometimes a dominant player, me thinks our best Olineman..With last year & as his coming out of left field party behind him, expect to see him compete at a very high level this senior season. .

Have to like the potential of this group...add Morrow as a dominant blocker and runner and this offense could be special.