Nebraska Alternative (aka Sacrilegious) Uniform Slamma Ramma Extravaganza 2012

My dress blues are traditional. There is nothing traditional about our football unis. They have undergone so many changes over the years that the uniform Johnny Rogers wore in 1970 looks almost nothing like the uniform Rex Burkhead wore in 2011. Blue hairs, please, get over yourselves! Times, they are a changin'.

• Fire 2

I sure as hell won't choose to vacate my stadium spot for the game and refuse to cheer for my Huskers over it, I'll tell you that much. That's ridiculous. Kids like the alternate uniforms, and I want the talented kids to commit to Nebraska. If that means we wear a black helmet once a year, so what?

for 50 years, our boys put on that helmet and those Unis. They took PRIDE in it. If these new kids dont understand the pride associated with it, they probably dont belong here.

Yeah! My buddies didn't die face down in the muck so that this... Also Forge "boys" is not the preferred nomenclature.

• Fire 1

I sure as hell won't choose to vacate my stadium spot for the game and refuse to cheer for my Huskers over it, I'll tell you that much. That's ridiculous. Kids like the alternate uniforms, and I want the talented kids to commit to Nebraska. If that means we wear a black helmet once a year, so what?

for 50 years, our boys put on that helmet and those Unis. They took PRIDE in it. If these new kids dont understand the pride associated with it, they probably dont belong here.

Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-265-199.gif

• Fire 3

Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-265-199.gif

:thumbs

Bingo. And you know what? The players like them. Rex Burkhead likes them, wants to wear them all the time.

Heard an interview with Kain Colter on the radio on the way home today. He was all geeked up about Northwestern's new unis this year, wanted to have it on to walk around in at Big Ten Media Days. The players really like this kind of thing.

That's why I'm on board. Personally, I'd leave the uniforms alone. But I'm not the guy wearing it. If the guys wearing it like this, and they're cognizant of the respect and tradition inherent in the uniforms, that's really all that matters, isn't it?

I think you should let the players make all the decisions for the team. That sounds like a winning plan.

BTW for those who keep repeating 'it's only one game, that's what Ohio State fans were saying three years ago. Now things like this are surfacing...

Ohio-State---chrome-diamond-plated-helmet.jpg

Once you let the tail start wagging the dog it's hard to go back.

Bingo. And you know what? The players like them. Rex Burkhead likes them, wants to wear them all the time.

Heard an interview with Kain Colter on the radio on the way home today. He was all geeked up about Northwestern's new unis this year, wanted to have it on to walk around in at Big Ten Media Days. The players really like this kind of thing.

That's why I'm on board. Personally, I'd leave the uniforms alone. But I'm not the guy wearing it. If the guys wearing it like this, and they're cognizant of the respect and tradition inherent in the uniforms, that's really all that matters, isn't it?

I think you should let the players make all the decisions for the team. That sounds like a winning plan.

BTW for those who keep repeating 'it's only one game, that's what Ohio State fans were saying three years ago. Now things like this are surfacing...

Ohio-State---chrome-diamond-plated-helmet.jpg

Once you let the tail start wagging the dog it's hard to go back.

The metallic helmet thing should be banned. It is just ridiculous and an unfair advantage on a sunny day.

[The metallic helmet thing should be banned. It is just ridiculous and an unfair advantage on a sunny day.

I agree although I tend to think it will hurt the team wearing them almost as much as the opponent. Luckily there hasn't been any confirmation of that abortion actually being used this year.

I'm just not a fan of the whole push for alternate uniforms in general. The push isn't from schools that want to honor past squads or the occasionally used tradition (ND green unis), it's from clothing manufacturers who want to use teams as marketing arms to sell more product.

I will never support a major University becoming secondary in it's own decision making process to that of an outside corporation.

[The metallic helmet thing should be banned. It is just ridiculous and an unfair advantage on a sunny day.

I agree although I tend to think it will hurt the team wearing them almost as much as the opponent. Luckily there hasn't been any confirmation of that abortion actually being used this year.

I'm just not a fan of the whole push for alternate uniforms in general. The push isn't from schools that want to honor past squads or the occasionally used tradition (ND green unis), it's from clothing manufacturers who want to use teams as marketing arms to sell more product.

I will never support a major University becoming secondary in it's own decision making process to that of an outside corporation.

I like a once a year change of uniforms. When teams do the alternates right, they are awesome. I just don't like the Oregon new uniforms every game.

My personal favorite.

9996077-standard.jpg

• Fire 1

its not even a streak of "the same uniform". all the other uniforms we've ever worn look like nebraska football.... these new uni's just arent nebraska football. almost entirely due to the black secondary color. if you're gonna incorporate black, make it the main color. i could respect that. these new ones however, could get lost in the identity of other teams pretty easy. there is such a fine line with the uniforms and i feel it has been crossed.

is it one game? yes. but its a time where we should take advantage of bringing something new and refreshing to the table, something we would be comfortable wearing for a hundred years if we weren't already all in for our traditional look. gives me that "ehhhhhh, what are you doing?" feeling. messing around with the identity of husker football has proven to not work. i feel that throwing black in as an accent color is really poking around with the identity. i cant help the way i feel. take the black out and you have a winner. add black as the main color and you have a winner.

so either all black or no black? all black is more akin to husker tradition? you keep talking about this tradition garbage, but you seem to be the only one who knows what fits the bounds of our tradition and what spits in its face.

mostly black or no black. and look at the timeline.... no black. thats all im sayin. i can respect mostly/all black.... are you mad at my opinion?

mostly just confused.

i'm not saying that all black is more akin to husker tradition necessarily. rather, black as an accent color is not akin to husker traditon. maybe "akin" is the wrong word.... I think "corny" is the word i'm probably looking for.

'corny'? there is no greater nebraska tradition than 'corny'!

• Fire 1

They are growing on me...but...what a wonder opportunity this would have been to have like 5 combos and let the fans do a vote on it, you know?

I just hope people get used to it, because in the future more and more times we will see uniform changes, especially after T.O is gone imo. Tradition doesn't appeal kids as much as facilities, uniforms, student sections etc. They want that college experience and opportunity to play for a good team. If you tell them Nebraska was great in the 70's and 90's that is only appealing to a small minority of the kids we recruit. Listen to every interview. It's facilities, coaches, and a great fan base, and then about a fourth will say the great tradition we have.

this. how old was next year's recruiting class the last time we won a national championship? were they even alive to see touchdown tommie? even crouch was quickly forgotten because of his embarrassing nfl career and overall jerkery.

tradition will always be a point of pride for us 'skers, but it can not be the only appeal.

I have a few things to say to the people of this thread.

1. I am sorry I ever created it. I'm not trying to be funny, I'm dead serious. I know someone else would have soon after, but I regret providing an avenue for some of the disgraceful, piss-poor attitudes and responses that I've seen since the uniforms leaked.

2. Seriously, shame on you guys (the ones pissing and moaning). You know what the University of Nebraska is really about? Well I'll give you one answer as to what it's NOT about;

YOU.

Get over yourselves. You have no rights to be a Husker, unless you donate to the University, in which case congratulations, you bought your way in. You didn't deserve it, you just have cash. It is entirely a privilege that you are able to associate yourself with a program that you "love", and you should start treating it as such rather than a right you were naturally born with.

3. As far as what, or rather who, the University of Nebraska is for, the answer is the students. Not just the student-athletes. Universites exist to serve students; insane right? University athletic programs exist to serve student-athletes, and these alternate jerseys are a gift to our student-athletes for sacrificing more and working harder than you ever will in your life to honor and respect the TRADITION of the school. Which one of you said Adidas should have made a poll for the fans to vote and then keep the results a secret, that way and I think I quote "they would make at least some people happy". Congratulations on being completely blinded by false-importance and thinking that this has anything to do with you or I as fans.

4. Do you even know what the word tradition means? One definition of it is "a long established or inherited way of thinking or acting". You guys just throw this around as your new buzz word without any real idea what the heart behind the word is. Tradition isn't found in varsity style lettering or the exact same hue of red or socks that are 3.75" high up the ankle or red facemasks or anything else like that; tradition is found in the heart, culture, intent and character that lies behind the details which change as time changes. You know what I think the real tradition of Nebraska football is? Serving our student-athletes rightly and graciously. For goodness sake, we had old uniforms with freaking BLUE in the color scheme! Let's do that for tradition's sake eh? And just as a point of detail, we have had black in our uniforms across multiple sports and across multiple decades - get over it or get walking or keep sitting at your computer screen crying.

5. Forge; good riddance to you. I'm sure Bo, Tom and the rest of the staff and players applaud your decision not to attend and support, because they do not want supports like you. They want supporters that consider it a privilege and joy to watch and cheer and have some damned perspective, not demanding and expecting their own personal unrealistic desires but applauding and respecting the team's desire and effort to give everything they have in the pursuit of greatness and in service to you as a fan. How much has the University of Nebraska football team given you to be thankful for? The least you could do is show some appreciation for those 20+ years of greatness you got to witness with those family tickets, and if you don't want to then none of us want you there anyways. Seriously. Don't go.

• Fire 9