The 'We Should Fire Our Coach' Thread

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

snapback.pngCaine Mutiny, on 20 October 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

Being ranked 5th in rushing means nothing if you cant do it against good teams, not to mention against bad teams.. and how good is Northwestern? Nebraska's statistics are against nobodies..

I don't wanna get into a big debate, but no, not really. Both Wisconsin and NW were top 20 rushing defenses when we played them, allowing 100 yards or less a game. We put up over 200 on each

You are living in denial... Big deal about rateings..... Rateings only mean something at the end of the season....

Bo Pelini would do himself a great service if he got rid of Tim Beck and hired someone that knows how to run a Tom Osborne offense.... a physical offense that runs out of the I formation, like Tom did.. just remember this? Tom Osborne didnt win all the time either. It wasnt until he got a great defense, but at least his offense always kept him in the game in his losses.......... no blowouts like the ones Bo suffers from

That's not the way football is played anymore. Hasnt been for over a decade. This isnt high school or pop warner.

So the fact that we are ranked 5th in rushing yards means nothing I guess? Also great point look back at 1997 even T.O. had changed his offense a bit because they style of play was changing. I don't care if it's Northwestern, we won you all were going off how we were going to lose because our defense is terrible and we held them to 301 yards. The Huskers made mistakes but, they overcame them and that's the important part.

Isn't ~301 yards just about their average if you remove the 700+ Indiana outlier? Penn State held them to fewer than 250. Even in games they've won they just go a bit over 320. So, I guess we're average. Points against, we're 72nd, so, yeah... kind of middle of the pack.

I'd agree with most of that, but the "our leader looks like an a$$ in front of every national audience" statment. One that's completely unfair because ever since the aTm game in 2010 whenever a game is on TV they seem to have one camera on Bo the entire time. Of course this is going to catch any little moment of anger that Bo expresses and is complete B.S. because there are several coaches that blow a gasket on TV or on the sidelines or in the press conference and no one makes a big deal about it or cares. Need examples? Brian Kelly at ND, Paul Rhodes at ISU, Mark Dantonio at MSU...............etc, etc.

I guess I'm missing this argument as well. Did no one here catch after Kyler fumbled (3rd turnover) the commentators said "I can't believe Bo is keeping his cool." He stayed very even keel saturday. Not coaching? Did you notice after Taylors first touchdown pass Bo was over talking with Taylor and Joe Ganz? Give me a break boys

• Fire 2
That being said, they have a perfectly good shot at beating Michigan - maybe even rolling Michigan - this Saturday. And then getting blown out by MSU, because this is just a mirror of last season.

Exactly, great post, +1.

The point is there are two different conversations entirely:

1. How has Bo met unrealistic expectations over the course of his five years?

2. What do we have to do to actually make this an awesome season still?

They're two different topics, really.

Fixed it for ya.

Not exactly.

Bo created expectations by taking Bill Callahan's recruits, turning them into a feared defense, and stringing together a pair of 9 win seasons that culminated in satisfying bowl victories.

He "got" Nebraska and his combative style was viewed as passionate, exactly the kind of thing the soft 2007 squad needed.

It was pretty realistic to assume that with Bo recruiting the Huskers would develop a solid defensive culture, always play tough and continue to show improvement. National championships were well down the road. We just thought we might be able to beat a mediocre Texas team in 2010 when it meant everything to us, or not embarrass ourselves in sloppy, ill-prepared outings against our new Big 10 rivals, who turned out to be pretty mediocre when they weren't playing us. We didn't expect to have two of the most lifeless bowl losses in Nebraska history. We're scrambling to contend in our division of the Big 10. And I'd even be okay with that if we didn't look so psychologically fragile and lacking in defensive fundamentals. At which point Bo's "passion" looks a lot more like agitation brought on by thin skin.

When the 2007 defense played like this, we expected heads to roll.

I don't think our expectations are that misplaced.

Last I checked, we still get two more losses to go with our nine win season. If both losses are hard fought, I'll tip my hat to Mr. Pelini.

Struggling to compete in our division? We have lost ONE game in conference play against the best team in the B1G, and we're struggling to compete?

Realistic expectations for a coach in their first 5 years include:

• Winning more games than they lose
  • Making improvements year to year
  • Getting to 9-10 win seasons
  • Playing for division and conference championships
  • Getting into and winning bowl games

Bo has for the most part met these expectations. He has a lot of improvement to do to get us to the next level, but for a coach in their first 5 years he is doing a pretty good job (especially taking in to account the state Nebraska was in after Clownahan and the conference change).

Unrealistic expectations include:

• Going undefeated every year
  • Recruiting for one conference and moving to another and expecting no problems on defense
  • Competing for national championships with his first recruiting class
  • Having a first time head coach go through no growing pains

The fact that we're still competitive with the coaching changes we've had to deal with (losing both our OC and DC in the span of a year) is actually pretty amazing. Also taking in to account we're playing with Bo's first recruiting class, which is almost always a coach's worst recruiting class, and still winning 9-10 games is impressive as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy losing even a single game (just ask my GF, I go to a bad place when the Huskers lose) but you have to give Bo a chance to do his job. If he is still getting us to only 9-10 win seasons in 5 more years then it might be time to look at finding a new coach, but if we do it now we're going to make this program into a laughing stock no established coach will be willing to come to.

• Fire 1

Repeated blowouts against mediocre opponents, constant penalties, constant mistakes, poor coaching, Bo yelling at his own players, coaches, refs constantly. We're going nowhwere in the EASIEST big 10 competition that there ever will be. Shawn Eichorst, do what you came here to do--get rid of this joke of a coaching staff, open up the NU wallet, and go hire Chris Peterson or Gary Patterson or Bob Stoops or SOMETHING. BO MUST GO NOW!!!!!!!!

Just go away. We beat NW and we are moving forward. Again JUST GO AWAY!

T_O_B

I'd agree with most of that, but the "our leader looks like an a$$ in front of every national audience" statment. One that's completely unfair because ever since the aTm game in 2010 whenever a game is on TV they seem to have one camera on Bo the entire time. Of course this is going to catch any little moment of anger that Bo expresses and is complete B.S. because there are several coaches that blow a gasket on TV or on the sidelines or in the press conference and no one makes a big deal about it or cares. Need examples? Brian Kelly at ND, Paul Rhodes at ISU, Mark Dantonio at MSU...............etc, etc.

I guess I'm missing this argument as well. Did no one here catch after Kyler fumbled (3rd turnover) the commentators said "I can't believe Bo is keeping his cool." He stayed very even keel saturday. Not coaching? Did you notice after Taylors first touchdown pass Bo was over talking with Taylor and Joe Ganz? Give me a break boys

How DARE YOU bring facts into this. Only perception and pre-conceived opinions allowed. Take your logical fact talk elsewhere.

How DARE YOU bring facts into this. Only perception and pre-conceived opinions allowed. Take your logical fact talk elsewhere.

Haha thanks accountability. It's hard to even read some of this stuff anymore

premature....

Premature? You call 5 years of seeing the same problems time and time again premature? You may want to check the definition of premature. Maybe some of you could ask your wives or girlfriends and they could probably tell you exactly what premature is. 5 years of Bo's teams and staff bickering on the sidelines, players making the same mistakes, bone headed penalties, and stupid ass turnovers.....no, that's not in any way premature to be calling for a change of pace. Matter of fact, a lot of programs don't even give guys 5 years anymore. I could always see where people were coming from with wanting Bo gone, I just never quite felt like it was time, but after this game it's pretty clear that a change may not be a bad thing. As long as it's the right change.

We won the game!

premature....

Premature? You call 5 years of seeing the same problems time and time again premature? You may want to check the definition of premature. Maybe some of you could ask your wives or girlfriends and they could probably tell you exactly what premature is. 5 years of Bo's teams and staff bickering on the sidelines, players making the same mistakes, bone headed penalties, and stupid ass turnovers.....no, that's not in any way premature to be calling for a change of pace. Matter of fact, a lot of programs don't even give guys 5 years anymore. I could always see where people were coming from with wanting Bo gone, I just never quite felt like it was time, but after this game it's pretty clear that a change may not be a bad thing. As long as it's the right change.

Nebraska won, this is where you go cheer on your"new team" until they lose again.

BUH BYE!!!!!!!!!

hahahaha.........suck a richard.

We won the game!

Bo Pelini would do himself a great service if he got rid of Tim Beck and hired someone that knows how to run a Tom Osborne offense.... a physical offense that runs out of the I formation, like Tom did.. just remember this? Tom Osborne didnt win all the time either. It wasnt until he got a great defense, but at least his offense always kept him in the game in his losses.......... no blowouts like the ones Bo suffers from

That's not the way football is played anymore. Hasnt been for over a decade. This isnt high school or pop warner.

CM you are wrong. Period. No blow outs for Ozzie? You obviously don't know anything about the history of Nebraska football.

T_O_B

Alabama, LSU, all run versions of a Tom Osborne offense. Teams that win national championships run Tom Osbornes offense.. Teams that run Tim Beck's offense finish 3rd in there divisions. Imagine if Nebraska ran a Tom Osborne offense, they would have bulldozed over little Norhwestern by 40.. But yet? there are some serious issuses at Nebraska, And one big one is Tim Beck. Because he is wasteing our weight program, our walk ons, our 3 and 4 star offensive line, and our 3 - 4 stars running backs into this weak 1 star spread attack.

If our offensive cordinator doesnt change? We will get routed by Michigan, beaten by Penn State, defeated by Iowa, and rolled over by MSU.......Make no mistake about it...... Bo and Beck have some serious problems to fix.....

Stop rolling the ball bearings and go look for the strawberries.

Please go to a SEC board and bother them.

T_O_B

Being ranked 5th in rushing means nothing if you cant do it against good teams, not to mention against bad teams.. and how good is Northwestern? Nebraska's statistics are against nobodies.. And thats the whole point!!. Northwestern stinks, but they shut our vaunted rushing attack down... and who is Northwestern? Look? I love Nebraska, I hate it with all my heart to see them lose.. We were extremely lucky to win today, But the problem is Northwestern isnt very good.... which means we aint either...(how sad) .. And after 5 years, this is what we are?. Why cant you guys see how disgusting this is..Its pathetic.. Because we dont play football as a team.. Our coaches care more for whats in style than what actually wins football games. Because our coaches think they are football gurus, by doing it this way......This team just about made me puck! Because we should have lost to Little Northwestern.

Let it go dude. You already locked one 'I hate Tim Beck' thread. It's unbelievable how dense you are.

Being ranked 5th in rushing means nothing if you cant do it against good teams, not to mention against bad teams.. and how good is Northwestern? Nebraska's statistics are against nobodies..

I don't wanna get into a big debate, but no, not really. Both Wisconsin and NW were top 20 rushing defenses when we played them, allowing 100 yards or less a game. We put up over 200 on each

You are living in denial... Big deal about rateings..... Rateings only mean something at the end of the season....

What are you trying to spin here Mutiny!? He posted FACTS! This team has run all over good rushing defenses. You're not making a point. Rateings!? That's not even a word!

What are you trying to spin here Mutiny!? He posted FACTS! This team has run all over good rushing defenses. You're not making a point. Rateings!? That's not even a word!

lmao this made me laugh. rateings....