The 'We Should Fire Our Coach' Thread

I neither agree or disagree with the OP. I am a Bo fan, but by no means a Bo apologist, if we get our a$$es handed to us again by Michigan and quite possibly Mich St what do we say then? Again, I like Bo, but by no means do I think he's earned a pass. I can't understand why members jump all over other members for criticizing Bo and the staff. Its been 5 years and we're really not any better off now than we were when he started. If we have accepted mediocrity and don't mind not factoring in any major poll than ok, but I really can't blame someone for hoping for or expecting something better.

Very confused as how Bo is responsible for fumbles.

Look...here's a different perspective. It may not be Bo's fault that his players commit turnovers and continuously commit stupid penalties. But it is his responsibility.

On a side note, one of the issues on this forum is that there's a small group of posters (not you, akita) that play the "I'm a bigger fan than you" card by calling any critiquing of Bo out as being entirely anti-Pelini. It makes many of these discussions almost impossible, because people make it black and white when it's always not so black and white.

Again - these mistakes are not Bo's fault...but they are his responsibility.

Bo as of two weeks ago was in no trouble with the boosters. He has a very powerful one on his side totally, he is the reason we have Bo and the Peterson and Clownahan bills are paid. Many think Bo was hired by Coach Osborne, he was but it was signed sealed and delivered much earlier. Bo will make it through this year no matter the losses is my guess. But I think next year will be the tell tale sign. We have a weak schedule next year, supposedly good recruits coming in on the defensive side. Bo will be here through next year, I can almost promise you that. But there better be a close dance with a BCS game.

I hope he gets it turned around, as accountability says, we can not do another Sollich. For him to be gone he has to fail terribly and in honesty he has not done that. He has lowered the name of Nebraska to an all so ran, but that was started before he took over.

Very confused as how Bo is responsible for fumbles.

Look...here's a different perspective. It may not be Bo's fault that his players commit turnovers and continuously commit stupid penalties. But it is his responsibility.

On a side note, one of the issues on this forum is that there's a small group of posters (not you, akita) that play the "I'm a bigger fan than you" card by calling any critiquing of Bo out as being entirely anti-Pelini. It makes many of these discussions almost impossible, because people make it black and white when it's always not so black and white.

Again - these mistakes are not Bo's fault...but they are his responsibility.

Agreed undone ... but after each game doesn't Bo enter the presser and tell everyone about all the mistakes and how "they are gonna get fixed?" Seriously, this has been going on for five (5) years. For the life of me ... a little Coach Boone would do well ... "you drop the ball ... you run a mile ... you miss a block ... you run a mile". I don't know what Bo's consequences are ... but I declare ... the consequences certaintly are not that great ... cause it has not been fixed ... 5 years later. I coach tennis ... I don't have my students committing the same mistakes as they move from Freshmen on thru to their Senior year. I'd like to think that my coaching has something to do with that ... and the ownership the student takes upon himself to get better. Thus ... I just don't get these Huskers. Snyder can take two star athletes and have them execute, hold on to ball ... tackle ... why can't we?

http://bigrednetwork.com/story/sticking_through_a_slump/

Going back to Bob Devaney, every Nebraska head coach has showed some regression around season five (give or take a year). Devaney had immediate success, going 9-2 or 10-1 in each of his first five seasons and winning the Big Eight four times. He even played for a national championship in his fourth year. Then in seasons six and seven the program took a huge step backward with back-to-back 6-4 seasons. Petitions circulated to fire the coaching staff.

Osborne's slump was milder. The 9-3-1 record he compiled in his fourth season as head coach was the worst of his career as was the fourth-place conference finish. The fifth season didn't start much better as he lost a home opener to unranked Washington State and his team dropped to 4-2 after a home loss to Iowa State. The team rallied to win five of six with a narrow victory in the Liberty Bowl. Osborne was told by a booster that had he lost the bowl game, he would have been fired.

Frank Solich won 42 games over his first four seasons, won a Big 12 championship and had taken the Huskers to a national championship game. In his fifth season, NU had its worst finish in forty years at 7-7. Still, a year later his squad had improved to 9-3 when he was fired before the bowl game by Athletic Director Steve Pederson. Solich went on to become the head coach at Ohio University, where he has the highest winning percentage of any coach at the school since the 1940's.

I remember reading another article, one I can't find right now, that showed how other coaches in other programs have the same problems. Pelini came into this program and got the best recruits he could get at the time. Look at the talent he has coming down the pipeline. This team is going to be a beast starting next year and going on into the future. It's embarrassing to see fan reactions to TWO losses. It sickens me to think we might fire our coach and put our program back another 10 years because of TWO losses.

If the haters had their way Devaney would have been fired, Osborne would have been fired, and we would have ZERO national championships.

What K state is doing in every facet of the game is really finally opening my eyes to the fact Bo may not be our guy. at KSU, I dont see any of the problems on the field. and when was the last time you saw Bill Snyder lose his composure with anyone to make his team and players play better.... there is no skitzo on the sideline. i think he is the benchmark of college football right now...his kids play hard for him and themselves and it shows up in dominant wins.

Tell me who is available who would actually want to coach here and would stay here? I can clearly remember people being critical of TO... Do you remember the debacle after Solich was fired? This was even after Solich corrected problems on defense and hired Bo. This team when playing well is capable of beating any team with the excpetion of the top 5 teams or so when they are not hurting themselves with silly mistakes. Why would you want to start of comepletely and risk not even being competitive for several years when something like this can be corrected? The stars are currently aligned for K-State and there is no doubt there.

What K state is doing in every facet of the game is really finally opening my eyes to the fact Bo may not be our guy. at KSU, I dont see any of the problems on the field. and when was the last time you saw Bill Snyder lose his composure with anyone to make his team and players play better.... there is no skitzo on the sideline. i think he is the benchmark of college football right now...his kids play hard for him and themselves and it shows up in dominant wins.

Tell me who is available who would actually want to coach here and would stay here? I can clearly remember people being critical of TO... Do you remember the debacle after Solich was fired? This was even after Solich corrected problems on defense and hired Bo. This team when playing well is capable of beating any team with the excpetion of the top 5 teams or so when they are not hurting themselves with silly mistakes. Why would you want to start of comepletely and risk not even being competitive for several years when something like this can be corrected? The stars are currently aligned for K-State and there is no doubt there.

risk being not competitive for several years? We are not even remotely competitive now... how would anything change and what would be the risk?

Robsker,

I am with you nearly 100%, but I truly have the fear that we would not pay to get a good coach. The university was not onboard with what happened the last time due to finances.

Do you feel the program is willing to drop 8-9 million a year for top end coaches. I don't, I think we should, but just do not think it will happen. I want an established coach, one proven he can win on the big stage. They cost money. Hell bama spends more on saben than we do on all of our head coaches, or close to it. Smart makes 1.8 was the last I heard. Not sure if that is correct, but that is with a defensive head coach. Considered the best in the business and they Kirby Smart that much as DC.

the money to be made is there, but we always try to do it the cheapest way, have the boosters finance it. Some of them could do it in a bat of an eye if we had the right guy coming on board.

I have no names as I have not really thought about since we fired Clownahan. And trust me Bo was the farthes thing from what I wanted at the time. But now I think he could do it if he had help. He has some great qualities, and he respects our traditions and I think he really wants to stay here. I have never believed the whole world wants him and we are so lucky to have him schpeal.

Yeah, it's a tough argument when you say the team continues to be unfocused, lacking execution and prone to stupid mistakes, so don't blame the coach.

That's pretty much what head coaching is all about, especially when the team is stocked with four and five year veterans who were your recruits.

Listen, you don't have to be an attention starved teenager juiced on Captain Morgan and cough syrup to speculate just how hot Bo Pelini's seat is right now. Or how much hotter it would be if that field goal had been two feet to the left. It's very hot and Bo knows it. Some coaches could use all the doubters and haters and turn it into a rallying cry to save his job. That was how the team entered the Northwestern game, and if anything it looked like the pressure was screwing them up even worse. The brilliant last quarter rally is similar to the rallies against Wisconsin this year and Ohio State last year, which we hoped signaled something the team could build upon. But they didn't.

That being said, they have a perfectly good shot at beating Michigan - maybe even rolling Michigan - this Saturday. And then getting blown out by MSU, because this is just a mirror of last season.

Of course Bo survives this season and gets another full season (unless he makes a preemptive escape, and he might be pondering that). But I think everyone now agrees that Season 6 needs to look a lot better than Seasons 4 and 5.

Because college football is an entertainment product.

• Fire 2

premature....

Premature? You call 5 years of seeing the same problems time and time again premature? You may want to check the definition of premature. Maybe some of you could ask your wives or girlfriends and they could probably tell you exactly what premature is. 5 years of Bo's teams and staff bickering on the sidelines, players making the same mistakes, bone headed penalties, and stupid ass turnovers.....no, that's not in any way premature to be calling for a change of pace. Matter of fact, a lot of programs don't even give guys 5 years anymore. I could always see where people were coming from with wanting Bo gone, I just never quite felt like it was time, but after this game it's pretty clear that a change may not be a bad thing. As long as it's the right change.

Nebraska won, this is where you go cheer on your"new team" until they lose again.

BUH BYE!!!!!!!!!

hahahaha.........suck a richard.

Same warning. Suspension or ban will follow with another violation.

How is it that in other threads people are getting insta-suspensions for comments like "FO", but these clowns only get warnings? Some consistency from the mods please?

That being said, they have a perfectly good shot at beating Michigan - maybe even rolling Michigan - this Saturday. And then getting blown out by MSU, because this is just a mirror of last season.

Exactly, great post, +1.

The point is there are two different conversations entirely:

1. How has Bo met expectations over the course of his five years?

2. What do we have to do to actually make this an awesome season still?

They're two different topics, really.

Exactly, great post, +1.

1. How has Bo met unrealistic expectations over the course of his five years?

Fixed it for ya.

I'd be pretty stoked if we won the conference championship. And really, we probably wouldn't even have to win out to make the title game, but we certainly have to beat Michigan. That goal hinges on this weekend. If we lose, we have virtually no chance. If we win, we'll be in the driver's seat.

Just to be on the safe side; let's just go ahead and win out.

Exactly, great post, +1.

1. How has Bo met unrealistic expectations over the course of his five years?

Fixed it for ya.

Not exactly.

Bo created expectations by taking Bill Callahan's recruits, turning them into a feared defense, and stringing together a pair of 9 win seasons that culminated in satisfying bowl victories.

He "got" Nebraska and his combative style was viewed as passionate, exactly the kind of thing the soft 2007 squad needed.

It was pretty realistic to assume that with Bo recruiting the Huskers would develop a solid defensive culture, always play tough and continue to show improvement. National championships were well down the road. We just thought we might be able to beat a mediocre Texas team in 2010 when it meant everything to us, or not embarrass ourselves in sloppy, ill-prepared outings against our new Big 10 rivals, who turned out to be pretty mediocre when they weren't playing us. We didn't expect to have two of the most lifeless bowl losses in Nebraska history. We're scrambling to contend in our division of the Big 10. And I'd even be okay with that if we didn't look so psychologically fragile and lacking in defensive fundamentals. At which point Bo's "passion" looks a lot more like agitation brought on by thin skin.

When the 2007 defense played like this, we expected heads to roll.

I don't think our expectations are that misplaced.

Last I checked, we still get two more losses to go with our nine win season. If both losses are hard fought, I'll tip my hat to Mr. Pelini.