The Gauntlet - Three of Four Games in Prime Time

The Gauntlet  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted 2-2. My reasoning:

9/29 - Wisconsin: No Russell Wilson, plus the loss of seven assistants and three starting O Linemen, will create enough turmoil to bring Wiscy back down to earth. Plus, if there's one thing Bo Pelini has consistently shown it's that, no matter how good your run game, you cannot beat him with an immobile quarterback. Danny O'Brien, see: Kirk Cousins / James Vandenberg. May God have mercy on your soul. I'm counting this as a win.

10/6 - @ Ohio State: Playing Urban Meyer in Columbus under the lights, after that comeback last year, with a health Braxton Miller... this could turn into a track meet, one I can only hope we're contenders in. It's not that we can't beat this team. I just find it highly unlikely. I'm counting this as a loss.

10/13 - Bye Week: Nebraska gets a week to catch their breath in the middle of this run.

10/20 - @ Northwestern: In 2010 we had a week and a half to prep for Texas, a team that finished 5-7 and was clearly on the ropes. We stunk up the joint, at home, and got beaten. Badly. I want to believe we've learned our lesson and we won't spend two weeks getting so far into our own heads we come out stiff and uninspired. It's possible, but I don't see us losing this game. I think vengeance will be dished out. In heaps. I'm counting this as a win.

10/27 - Michigan: We poached Rick Kaczenski from the Iowegians to help figure out how to stop mobile quarterbacks. And while Shoelace was superlative against us last year, he's shown a propensity to turn the ball over far too often. However, I think Brady Hoke has some real mojo working in Ann Arbor, and even though this game is at home, under the lights, and even though we should be better against Robinson this year, I'm still not sold enough on this Husker team to count this as a win. I hope I'm wrong. But.. I'm counting this as a loss.

I think the intent was passes that were in the playing field. Of course the graph is exaggerated but there were a couple passes to the first down marker. I was at game with my wife and I thanked the coaching staff for that loss. If they would have run the ball straight up the middle and punted instead of throwing the ball and stopping the clock the game may have ended differently for them.

3-1.

I think we lose a close one at Ohio State (probably due to our own mistakes) and it's going to be a defensive game. OSU offense isn't going to start coming into it's own until the last few games of the season, but we'll find a way to lose that one. Also, B1G teams are crappy on the road, especially at night. Wisky will lose (so much new staff, and they won't be remotely tested in the non-con). D-rob plays bad away from A2, and UM will quite possible have 3 losses coming in to our game.

• Fire 1

Bo figuring out how to stop a mobile QB would change my entire opinion of how these games could go. I'm at 2-2 right now. The only reason I see the 2 losses happening is because of Miller and Robinson. It's pretty sad that we're all chalking up a loss to Ohio State because we can't stop a sophomore QB.

Otherwise I think we match up just fine with OSU/Michigan. I think Mattison will outcoach Beck, and Urban will outcoach Bo - but I don't think by enough that the game is out of our reach. If we can stop (or limit) Miller/Robinson both games are definitely winnable. Nothing to this point makes me think Bo can stop a mobile QB though so I'm sticking at 2-2.

The ONLY reason I have hope about facing Braxton Miller and Dennard Robinson is that we picked up Rick Kaczenski to coach the D Line. In the last two years against Michigan the Iowegians went 2-0, with the 2011 game really telling in that they held Robinson to 17/37 passing and 55 yards rushing.

We got Kaczenski, presumably, to help contain mobile quarterbacks - his forte and Bo's Achilles heel. I just hope we let him do his thing and don't constrain him to this ridiculous bend-but-don't-break thing Bo's been doing lately.

If we force Kaczenski to run front-four containment scheme we've been running the past few years we're going to be hard-pressed to beat either OSU or Michigan.

• Fire 2

I think 2-2 is the safe play. 3-1 is possible. I have a hard time seeing 1-3 or worse or 4-0.

Its hard to predict this far out. There are alot of unanswered questions for the huskers and the teams they face in that stretch. Depending on what we see after the season starts, those opinions can change

• Fire 1

I realistically see us going 1-3 in this stretch.... Nothing in particular other than that's kinda where we are as a team in relation to these teams. I do think all will be close games and the outcome will lie somewhere between TMs ears an in his arm. I had us going 8-5 this year so I have to be consistent. Obviously I hope we can flip my guess but I'm getting tired of unrealized expectations so I'm may be lowballing a little.

Anyhooo....still gonna be rootin and boozin and cussin just like every year since 1975!!!! GBR!!!

The ONLY reason I have hope about facing Braxton Miller and Dennard Robinson is that we picked up Rick Kaczenski to coach the D Line. In the last two years against Michigan the Iowegians went 2-0, with the 2011 game really telling in that they held Robinson to 17/37 passing and 55 yards rushing.

We got Kaczenski, presumably, to help contain mobile quarterbacks - his forte and Bo's Achilles heel. I just hope we let him do his thing and don't constrain him to this ridiculous bend-but-don't-break thing Bo's been doing lately.

If we force Kaczenski to run front-four containment scheme we've been running the past few years we're going to be hard-pressed to beat either OSU or Michigan.

I really like your thinking.

I go to sleep every night after praying for Bo to learn to stop a mobile QB.