Diamond formation

I don't care if we run the Diamond Formation or the Power-I, if we don't block like we mean it nothing's going to work.

Everyone is so concerned about the wallpaper in the penthouse, and we haven't even dug down to bedrock yet.

i'm convinced a large portion of that stems from the fact that we run out of 15 different formations, with a different blocking scheme for each. we can't consistently get a single one of them right. Our OL has to learn to block for the option, zone read, spreadish crap...some pro-style formations, TE heavy power sets, etc. if we had an offensive identity maybe our OL could form one as well, and with that comes consistency. If we aren't consistent in anything we do (and don't anyone give me any BS about the defense "figuring" us out - that's the least of our worries), then I'm convinced that we are never going to break that 10 win barrier.

I don't care if we're G-Tech option, Oregon zone-read, a Missouri spread, or a Leach air-raid attack - as long as we're consistent and we execute our offense - not let the defense dictate so much of the game...we'll improve. The formation, the offense...doesn't really matter if you can't execute - and we can't execute trying to be all of the above. no college team could.

I don't care if we're G-Tech option, Oregon zone-read, a Missouri spread, or a Leach air-raid attack - as long as we're consistent and we execute our offense - not let the defense dictate so much of the game...we'll improve. The formation, the offense...doesn't really matter if you can't execute - and we can't execute trying to be all of the above. no college team could.

Amen.

Amen.

If we where an air raid offense I would no longer be a Nebraska football fan even the spread for me is just painful to watch. I like ground and pound all the way straight running it up the middle and try and stop me. And recruit huge 320 pound lineman from all over and turn it back into the pro factory for lineman it once was.

Amen.

If we where an air raid offense I would no longer be a Nebraska football fan even the spread for me is just painful to watch. I like ground and pound all the way straight running it up the middle and try and stop me. And recruit huge 320 pound lineman from all over and turn it back into the pro factory for lineman it once was.

We didn't use huge 320lb lineman when we were a power run team though, we used smaller, agile linemen. It's normally pass first offenses that go for the huge guys.

Why? What does the offense matter if we're good at it?

The N on our helmet doesn't mean "Option." It's just the base set we were most successful at over the last few decades. We could run anything and it wouldn't matter - even the West Coast Offense - as long as we were able to move the ball and score effectively.

That has to be the bottom line. You can't marry yourself to one style of offense.

• Fire 1

I don't care if we run the Diamond Formation or the Power-I, if we don't block like we mean it nothing's going to work.

Everyone is so concerned about the wallpaper in the penthouse, and we haven't even dug down to bedrock yet.

i'm convinced a large portion of that stems from the fact that we run out of 15 different formations, with a different blocking scheme for each. we can't consistently get a single one of them right. Our OL has to learn to block for the option, zone read, spreadish crap...some pro-style formations, TE heavy power sets, etc. if we had an offensive identity maybe our OL could form one as well, and with that comes consistency. If we aren't consistent in anything we do (and don't anyone give me any BS about the defense "figuring" us out - that's the least of our worries), then I'm convinced that we are never going to break that 10 win barrier.

Agreed.

It's a recurring gripe throughout the Pelini era. One I hope Beck fixes. As a DC, Pelini prepares for a new offense every week, so it's only natural he'd be inclined to build an offense that is all of those things. What worries me is I remember when he started, he used to talk about his defensive scheme being able to stop any offense with just minor adjustments here and there week-to-week. We didn't have to change defensive scheme to challenge K-State one week, and then Okie State the following. This year, he's talking about being "multiple" as a defensive unit now as well. Not a good sign.

Amen.

We didn't use huge 320lb lineman when we were a power run team though, we used smaller, agile linemen. It's normally pass first offenses that go for the huge guys.

Used to is not now im not comparing to the 90's and such. I want lineman the size wisconsin recruits and develops. I want a pro factory.

The N on our helmet doesn't mean "Option." It's just the base set we were most successful at over the last few decades. We could run anything and it wouldn't matter - even the West Coast Offense - as long as we were able to move the ball and score effectively.

That has to be the bottom line. You can't marry yourself to one style of offense.

I want running as long as there is no offense such as the west coast, Or the spread. If it becomes something that is primarily passing I can consider myself being done watching Nebraska football. Your talking to the guy that sets the setting on NCAA 12 to the option attack and 100% running no matter what.

I want running as long as there is no offense such as the west coast, Or the spread. If it becomes something that is primarily passing I can consider myself being done watching Nebraska football. Your talking to the guy that sets the setting on NCAA 12 to the option attack and 100% running no matter what.

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

• Fire 1

Not sure how multiple formations change how a Oline blocks? last I checked 99% of our formations were TGCGT, the difference that changes blocking schemes is the defense, a 4-3 is a different blocking scheme than a 3-4. But if we are 2 tight end, or diamond or 1 back with 4 wide and you want a iso run to the right it is going to be blocked by the OL the same regardless of the formation. Now if your saying that a belly option is going to be blocked different that a spread, or a zone read than yes you are correct but this isnt high school ball we need different blocking schemes, hell run blocking and pass blocking are much more different than if a Tackle has end contain or doubles down of a DE.

Not sure how multiple formations change how a Oline blocks? last I checked 99% of our formations were TGCGT, the difference that changes blocking schemes is the defense, a 4-3 is a different blocking scheme than a 3-4. But if we are 2 tight end, or diamond or 1 back with 4 wide and you want a iso run to the right it is going to be blocked by the OL the same regardless of the formation. Now if your saying that a belly option is going to be blocked different that a spread, or a zone read than yes you are correct but this isnt high school ball we need different blocking schemes, hell run blocking and pass blocking are much more different than if a Tackle has end contain or doubles down of a DE.

While I agree with all of that, the sad truth is that we're not good at ANY blocking schemes - at least not consistently.