Diamond formation

The diamond is a lot like the wishbone, which is obsolete (for the most part) in football. Some high schools still do it, but not many. If the diamond were our base, I think it'd be pretty tough to get recruits to come here, so that's a bit of a no-no. Also, with the speed of today's defenders, it's really tough to stretch play laterally, which is a big part of the wishbone/diamond offense.

Personally, I've always been a fan of an offense that has a crap load of formations but mostly the same plays out of those formations. Giving the defense different looks while running similar plays can be extremely confusing.

Option football is our identity. How do you not see that?

Is it?

Mostly. Belly G option, power option, zone read, etc...most of our play action is off of option looks

Streeter, you are 100% right. I like how our offense is very reminiscent of TO's old offenses style-wise and some people complain about running the ball too much or being too predictable. Do they not remember what the teams were like in the 90's? I was really young during the glory years, but I still remember the attitude that those teams used to have. "Yeah, we are gonna run the ball 80% of the time, but you try and stop it." I love that mentality, and I think we are slowly trending that way.

2011's offense was as pleasing of a performance as I have seen in a while. Some people disagree, but I like where the offense is headed. We moved the ball pretty well on some really good defenses last year, let's not forget that.

I fully agree too.

It seems most posters here are creaming their jeans regarding the one comment from Bo about passing the ball more. I hope it was just a comment and nothing more as I seriously doubt we'll ever return to an elite status with fluffball. Most young fans think something like a fun & gun offense would bring us mid 90s glory. But I think the more we trend toward that, the worse the results. We don't have the tradition or recruiting to round up the Dan Marino's & Jerry Rice's.

But we "do" have the tradition and proven recruiting capability to be extremely successful with smash mouth. Yes, I know it's a different world than 15 years ago but on the upside who recruits and develops defenses to stop that anymore? That's right.....nobody.

The door is open for us if we take it. Go for it Bo!

• Fire 2

We better find something to do with turner besides playing BEHIND inferior talented players who happen to line up correctly.

Sort of wonder why Ameer can fumble multiple times and maintain his #2 position and JT makes one bad play in a nothing Minnesota game and gets benched?

You think two Texans were talking about that a few times?

Well, as soon as he quits dogging it at practice "and" can start remembering what his route is "and" stops dropping easy passes I'm sure Bo will listen to your ultra-keen advice. Who knows? He just might even develop the ability to block someone over 140 lbs. It could happen!

The diamond is a lot like the wishbone, which is obsolete (for the most part) in football. Some high schools still do it, but not many. If the diamond were our base, I think it'd be pretty tough to get recruits to come here, so that's a bit of a no-no. Also, with the speed of today's defenders, it's really tough to stretch play laterally, which is a big part of the wishbone/diamond offense.

Personally, I've always been a fan of an offense that has a crap load of formations but mostly the same plays out of those formations. Giving the defense different looks while running similar plays can be extremely confusing.

We, we ran the obsolete option in the 90s with marginal at best recruiting (until after we starting winning all those NCs) and still won a lot of games. A "lot" of games.

We, we ran the obsolete option in the 90s with marginal at best recruiting (until after we starting winning all those NCs) and still won a lot of games. A "lot" of games.

Something I think that gets over looked in all this is how important blocking is. In the 90's, we had some mutants on our offensive line, which kept us constantly in the top 10 in rushing, using the obsolete option...

Loving the diamond and we need more of it getting best players on the field. We have been shaky on the option and other than the double option against Michigan I don't recall many plays where it succeeded...maybe just me but I recall more option plays where we missed the pitch, came up early against the sideline, or it just got stuffed. Bring me some diamond!

b82d8_mikeleach2.jpg

He agrees.

So do i.

haha nice pic!

We better find something to do with turner besides playing BEHIND inferior talented players who happen to line up correctly.

Sort of wonder why Ameer can fumble multiple times and maintain his #2 position and JT makes one bad play in a nothing Minnesota game and gets benched?

Well, as soon as he quits dogging it at practice "and" can start remembering what his route is "and" stops dropping easy passes I'm sure Bo will listen to your ultra-keen advice. Who knows? He just might even develop the ability to block someone over 140 lbs. It could happen!

So I take it you want him to go back to Texas also?

If the coaches keep him on the bench he's next and don't think that isn't a possibility.

If that happens we can probably kiss off the state of Texas as far as blue chip recruits go

So I take it you want him to go back to Texas also?

If the coaches keep him on the bench he's next and don't think that isn't a possibility.

If that happens we can probably kiss off the state of Texas as far as blue chip recruits go

Where in the world does "wanting him to go back to Texas" come from? It just seems to me that it doesn't matter one iota if he's from Texas, Nebraska or Mars. He's gotta earn it. Period.

Giving starting positions away because they're from "Texas" or wherever would be a supremely titanic disaster. If that's his attitude, he can follow the route of C. Green, J. Dailey, C. Dukes, etc.

I knew somebody was going to say this.

Listen, I'm normally one of the first people to get on my soap box and defend the offenses we ran under Tom Osborne. People back then said that our offense was obsolete, and we kept winning.

The problem, however, lies with the system put in place to make that kind of offense successful. We had tenure at very important positions on this staff for a long time, which built cohesion and trust. We had a much larger scholarship limit. We had a coach/coaching system in place that built good depth in practice, and this depth meant more consistency on gameday, which meant bigger wins and more chances to get back ups in.

The current Nebraska often has trouble doing the most basic fundamental things, especially on the offensive line. It's a lot tougher today to build quality depth than it was 15+ years ago. It's tougher to keep coaches at one place for more than a few years today, as well.

I'm obviously not saying it'd be impossible to run that kind of offense again, but it would be challenging, and would require a high level of sophistication and coaching aptitude. Furthermore, there is a monstrous difference between recruiting kids to play in Osborne's later offenses and recruiting kids to play in a base diamond formation. Do you think Georgia Tech misses out on some high quality recruits because of their flexbone? The answer is yes, they do. High-caliber college athletes won't waste their time with that. Again, we showed here for many years that you don't need high-caliber athletes to win. But, I must revert back to the fact that we had a system in place that worked, and that system is pretty much irrelevant here right now.