CB Parrker Westphal [Northwestern Commit]

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

From Husker Journal. I like his comments...smart kid, no doubt!

JUNE 11, 2012. ALL TEAMS MESSAGE BOARDS PARRKER WESTPHAL, CB, 6-1, 180, 4.5, BOLLINGBROOK, ILLINOIS

Several schools are offering players for the 2014 class Parrker is one of them. He has offers from Cincinnati, Illinois, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State, West Virginia, Florida, Notre Dame and Purdue

“I’m going to take some visits this summer but I don’t know where.” Westphal

“I like Nebraska. I like how they sent Prince Amukamara that’s a big time corner. I like what they do with their DB’s down there. The Nebraska coaches came to my school and talked about Prince and what kind of person he is.” Westphal said

“Academics at Notre Dame are really good they send a lot of kids in the NFL.” Westphal said

“Michigan has really been pushing they want me to commit. It seems like they want me to play early.” Westphal said

From Husker Journal. I like his comments...smart kid, no doubt!

JUNE 11, 2012. ALL TEAMS MESSAGE BOARDS PARRKER WESTPHAL, CB, 6-1, 180, 4.5, BOLLINGBROOK, ILLINOIS

Several schools are offering players for the 2014 class Parrker is one of them. He has offers from Cincinnati, Illinois, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State, West Virginia, Florida, Notre Dame and Purdue

“I’m going to take some visits this summer but I don’t know where.” Westphal

“I like Nebraska. I like how they sent Prince Amukamara that’s a big time corner. I like what they do with their DB’s down there. The Nebraska coaches came to my school and talked about Prince and what kind of person he is.” Westphal said

“Academics at Notre Dame are really good they send a lot of kids in the NFL.” Westphal said

“Michigan has really been pushing they want me to commit. It seems like they want me to play early.” Westphal said

And that is what kids want to hear.

• Fire 1

^^^ Its what recruiting has turned into. Tell them what they want to hear whether its true or not. Not sure if our coaches use these tactics. Haven't really heard any recruits mention that our coaches are pushing them to commit. I know it might be a dirty trick to promise playing time but it seems to get the big time recruits to commit.

^^^ Its what recruiting has turned into. Tell them what they want to hear whether its true or not. Not sure if our coaches use these tactics. Haven't really heard any recruits mention that our coaches are pushing them to commit. I know it might be a dirty trick to promise playing time but it seems to get the big time recruits to commit.

I don't think we push them to commit, but I have read where a few have said they could play early.

Like it or not to recruit well you need some salesman in you. While I don't want our coaches to be shady, snak-oil types I think we do need to work on the shmoozing and closing more.

I don't think we push them to commit, but I have read where a few have said they could play early.

Key word here is "could". That is nebulous enough to apply to almost anybody they recruit, IF they are good enough and it puts the onus on the player to preform.

I think it's probably fairly standard fare to mention that you "could" play early but that is a far cry from promising playing time. That could backfire.

Most reports I've read say our coaches offer opportunities, not promises. That should cover things both ways.

• 8 months later...

I think the coaches here need to push the wanting guys to come in and play right away. Stay away from the "if you earn it" stuff. Why you ask? Not because they won't have to earn it, because they will, but the fact is, of course the coaches want a lot of guys to come in and play early.

It's not lying to them. You want them to play early, just leave out the "earn it" part like every other school's coaches do. They get them on campus telling them they want them to play early(which is true), but once they sign and get on campus it's up to them(which you leave out of the conversations during recruiting). That's how things work now. Leave the "if you earn it" stuff out of conversation and just consider it is understood.

Michigan only wants him to commit right away so they don't have to worry about him taking any further visits, or they will just cut his offer lol. Telling a kid they will play early is always their selling point. I believe Bo doesn't say they will play early, but if they beat out the competition, they could see the field. Earn your roll on our field basically.

Earn it Westphal, you will appreciate it more. Ask Amukamara :)

Michigan only wants him to commit right away so they don't have to worry about him taking any further visits, or they will just cut his offer lol. Telling a kid they will play early is always their selling point. I believe Bo doesn't say they will play early, but if they beat out the competition, they could see the field. Earn your roll on our field basically.

See my post above yours. I think our coaches need to change their approach in this aspect of recruiting for the reason you say. It's what the kids want to hear, so let them hear it, just don't guarantee anything and I wouldn't mention anything about earning it as that seems like that should be something understood.

See my post above yours. I think our coaches need to change their approach in this aspect of recruiting for the reason you say. It's what the kids want to hear, so let them hear it, just don't guarantee anything and I wouldn't mention anything about earning it as that seems like that should be something understood.

I know, I read your post. I was trying to reference my response in with yours, without having to multi-quote lol. I don't know if I like the idea of telling kids they can play early, but there is a way of selling it without making them feel promised, like Michigan, tOSU and a lot of SEC teams do. Something along the lines of bringing up the depth in that position and let them know its possible for them to make an impact within their first couple years, but they would have to fight for it.

Yup. They need to understand that nothing is promised and that they need to earn it. That doesn't mean we can't sell them on opportunity and explain how exactly they could contribute early, but they need to come in with the right mindset. You stop emphasizing team and individual responsibility and you get the Callahan era.

• Fire 1