CFL Roundtable: Nebraska

Our secondary was pretty bad without Fonzie last year.

So, yes - it wouldn't be too difficult to get back to that. Do we want to?

Let's not pretend he was hobbled all year, either. He wasn't. He came back and he played great. If you don't think his production at the end of last year is going to be difficult to replace, then please tell who you think is going to do it!

The way I see it, Green looks like he could be a starter, but unless he takes his game up another notch, he's still a few steps behind Prince. And now there's a spot that's opened up on the other side, you must not be worried about it because of the play of Antonio Bell and Ciante Evans last year?

There is really no other way to put it except that Fonzie is a big loss. Whoever gets that job has really big shoes to fill. No amount of optimism should prevent you from seeing that!

Haha...we're just going around and round in circles. :-) Sure, you're right that Fonzy played great late last year but what about the other 2/3 of the season?

Anyways.....let's just agree to disagree. I say we'll be improved, you say we won't. Whoever is wrong has to buy an ice cold one, deal?

but what about the other 2/3 of the season?

Hang on here, I'm not saying we won't be improved. I'm saying we have to replace Fonz and that's a big deal. I think I am just saying that these guys are right when they talk about losing Fonz, that's a hole that needs to be addressed. If you don't disagree with that then we have been going in circles ;)

so losing crick is meaningless? like all of you said.... crick was obsolete this year. but look how far we got without him.

like i always say... i dont believe in success with age. just because we have players that played last season doesn't mean they're [necessarily] going to be better this season.

but what about the other 2/3 of the season?

Hang on here, I'm not saying we won't be improved. I'm saying we have to replace Fonz and that's a big deal. I think I am just saying that these guys are right when they talk about losing Fonz, that's a hole that needs to be addressed. If you don't disagree with that then we have been going in circles ;)

Jeese, zoogies.

Ok, for the last time......we're talking replacing a starter who was only fully healthy the last four games or so. I think we have great odds of improved play at that position for 8 or 9 nine games easily. Also, good odds for improved average overall play at that position for 2012.

That's all.

I finally watched the video. Judging by the first couple minutes, you'd think we'd had losing seasons. They were laughing at us like we were a joke. I just want to stick it to them so bad. I want to watch Herbstreit talk about the Huskers kicking OSU's butt. (Does anybody have a link to that last year?)

Palmer was insightful, but Robert Smith is a tool. He is openly disdainful of the Huskers, and I really hope he suffered very badly last year when we beat the Buckeyes!

They settled down in the end and asked legitimate questions.

Let's not pretend he was hobbled all year, either. He wasn't. He came back and he played great. If you don't think his production at the end of last year is going to be difficult to replace, then please tell who you think is going to do it!

The way I see it, Green looks like he could be a starter, but unless he takes his game up another notch, he's still a few steps behind Prince. And now there's a spot that's opened up on the other side, you must not be worried about it because of the play of Antonio Bell and Ciante Evans last year?

There is really no other way to put it except that Fonzie is a big loss. Whoever gets that job has really big shoes to fill. No amount of optimism should prevent you from seeing that!

IMO, Green is further along then Prince was as a Junior-to-be. We will not know until after this next season but Green stepped it up big time towards the end of the season and I think actually outplayed Fonzie.

This is the comparison we need to look at, though.

2011 situation: All-American Fonzie, [vacant - filled by Green after a bumpy progression over the course of the entire season]

2012 situation: Green, [vacant - to be filled, possibly by a total unknown]

The whole place where this conversation began is the talking heads this thread is about mentioned this as one of the big losses the defense suffered and one of the major question marks that now needs to be addressed. I really don't see how they were anything but on the mark. If Green makes a Prince-like leap and if we find some savvy newcomers who won't spend the 2012 season working through kinks, then we'll have answered the questions. But this is still as shaky a cornerback situation as we have had in a while.

+ side: safety group should be better than last season, helping out the cover guys in front.

- side: defensive line (pass rush) also needs to step up big from last year. A dominant front four helps out the secondary and right now, I'm not sure if we know we'll get that.

I agree with the guy who said the roundtable focusing on Taylor was to be expected. He's the catalyst of our offense, and whatever happens on that side of the ball goes through him. With the exception of Burkhead and COmpton for the D, he is the biggest leader on the team as well. Shy as he may be, he's the one who's going to get credit for piloting the Huskers to wins and will take the flak when they lose. Of course they're going to spend time discussing his outlook for 2012, as it is paramount for the overall team outlook, moreso than any other player. It's much easier to talk about how the starting QB will do as opposed to a 3 man battle to replace Mike Caputo at center or which of the unknown linebackers will fill the two OLB spots. Those are obviously things we care about as Husker fans, but ESPN probably couldn't give two craps what happens there.

Yes of course they're going to be verbally humping the legs of the SEC teams as opposed to a Nebraska or a Clemson. The last time a non SEC team won the MNC was 2005 when uTerus accomplished it-- that's 6 titles in a row for the SEC. Both Alabama and UF played in that dreadful rematch last year for the MNC that no one I knew really wanted to watch again. Sure, it p#sses off your average CFB fan around here, but ESPN clearly knows how to give the people down south what they want and are therefore in love with the dominant conference in CFB right now, the SEC. They'll pump out SEC love every chance they get as long as they keep winning.

As for the roundtable itself-- I"m sure it was just some more useless ESPN offseason fluff with very little actual substance. In case you forgot... :espnsucks:

I finally watched the video. Judging by the first couple minutes, you'd think we'd had losing seasons. They were laughing at us like we were a joke. I just want to stick it to them so bad. I want to watch Herbstreit talk about the Huskers kicking OSU's butt. (Does anybody have a link to that last year?)

Palmer was insightful, but Robert Smith is a tool. He is openly disdainful of the Huskers, and I really hope he suffered very badly last year when we beat the Buckeyes!

They settled down in the end and asked legitimate questions.

They weren't laughing at our team...they laughed one time because RS said Taylor Martinez throwing the ball is ugly (which it is) and then Palmer robutted and said Chris Klein doesn't throw it pretty either. And then DH laughed when he said Bo Pelini needs to blow up on him, but not as much as he did. I laughed at that too....I don't see how you think they were disrespecting our team.

Haha...we're just going around and round in circles. :-) Sure, you're right that Fonzy played great late last year but what about the other 2/3 of the season?

Anyways.....let's just agree to disagree. I say we'll be improved, you say we won't. Whoever is wrong has to buy an ice cold one, deal?

I tend to think we'll fill the spots better this year than last. However the fact that you're saying Fonzie was hurt most of the season doesn't really back up the argument that we'll be improved. He still won B1G defensive back of the year. To do that while being hurt is insane, and you don't just fill those shoes with a decent Andrew Green. He'll have to make huge strides. I just think we'll be better opposite Green, as opposed to the revolving door opposite Dennard last year.