Legends and Leaders. Do you still hate the names?

NUance

How long will Jamal Lord remain QB?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looks like to vote is running about 2-1 against. The two-thirds majority still hate the names. The other one-third either like them, or doesn't particularly care (but doesn't hate them). This poll last year probably would have been about 90% hating them. I'll predict right now that five years from now more people will like the names (or be ambivalent) than will hate them.

• 4 weeks later...

after a yr in the big 10, the divsion names just suck... i just don,t see where the divison names fit, it more of a personal want i believe from someone in the committee that decided on this...maybe delany...i am allmost positive that the majority of fans don,t like the div names...is there anything we can do to try to get the names changed.

I'm still not a fan of the names. The problem stems from the divisions...we still very easily could have gone "East/West." I put that the term in parentheses because they need not be perfectly divided between the two, it just has to be close enough for fans to understand. Plenty of other conferences have cheated when it comes to accuracy...

The SEC has never actually been divided along an East-West line, as Vanderbilt (SEC East) in Nashville (86°47′00″W) was always west of Auburn (SEC West) in Auburn (85°28′51″W) They broke it down that way in '92 to create balance (three powers and one newcomer in each division) but used the somewhat facetious title anyhow.

SEC.jpgred is ideal line... blue is the current line

Need less to say the 2012 expansion further muddied the waters but they kept division names since people were used to them and one simple addition isn't that difficult to learn. I think the divisions could be fixed just by swapping Missouri and Auburn and adjusting permanent conference rivals.

Current:

USC - Texas A&M (effective '13 or '14 currently v. Arky)

Missouri - Arkansas

Georgia - Auburn

Alabama - Tennessee

Florida - LSU

Kentucky - Miss St

Vandy - Ole Miss

With Auburn-Mizzou Swap

Auburn - Alabama

South Carolina - Arkansas

Georgia - Texas A&M

Tennessee - Missouri

Florida - LSU

Kentucky - Miss St

Vandy - Ole Miss

Same story with the PAC-12 although its less well known. Their divisions are North/South but their schools are not actually divided that way. Utah (PAC South) is far North of Cal and Stanford (both PAC North) and while its difficult to see from the map Colorado (PAC South) in Boulder (40°1′10″N) is actually North of both California PAC-12 North Schools with Cal at 37°52′18″N.

PAC.jpg

So clearly we don't have to actually divide the Big Ten along an East/West line to call ourselves that, it just has to be close.

We could do East/West but for balance a North/South may be even better.BigTen-4.jpg

I just don't want to see the current divisions or names. They're nonsensical, pretentious and difficult to remember.