Martinez QB Camp Update

QB coach sees progress from Martinez

Sam McKewon

LINCOLN — As Nebraska tries to land a quarterback for its 2013 class and I'm waxing philosophic on 2012 walk-on Ryker Fyfe, the Husker signal-caller who's actually started 25 games — Taylor Martinez — continues a quest to improve his throwing mechanics. Steve Calhoun, the Los Angeles-area quarterback coach who spent a week with Martinez in the spring, got three more weeks with the junior in May. And Calhoun helped get Martinez an invite to the mid-July Manning Passing Academy, where Calhoun will work as a camp assistant.

The private coach's verdict so far?

“People are going to be quite surprised in how far he's come in such a short time,” Calhoun said.

An update, nothing more. Do with it what you will.

Also, click the link - there's a ton more information in this blog/article. Sam talks about Alt Uniforms, Phil Steele and Football 202.

Beat me to it! Good read. At least, for me, it is someone else saying something good and not the coaches. I will temper my expectations until conference play. Like I said in a previous post, if we can control TO's and penalties we should be at least 1-2 games better. A Martinez, whose throws are capable of getting the D out of the box, forget about it. We could be scary good and surprise some folks. People, myself included, look at Okie lite and his performance that day. Imagine if his mechanics have improved to where that could be the norm? (Not the gaudy numbers per say, but the completions, passes etc...)

Still think Rex will be a huge, huge get for an NFL team. Kid gets no love anywhere outside NU fans. Hopefully this season, with less reps and staying "fresh" he can rip of some "how ya like me now" type highlights. The kid is like an old International Scout, steady, dependable, not much to "look" at, but if I needed something to start in the morning, go all day until the work was done, he would be my pick.

• Fire 4

Beat me to it! Good read. At least, for me, it is someone else saying something good and not the coaches. I will temper my expectations until conference play. Like I said in a previous post, if we can control TO's and penalties we should be at least 1-2 games better. A Martinez, whose throws are capable of getting the D out of the box, forget about it. We could be scary good and surprise some folks. People, myself included, look at Okie lite and his performance that day. Imagine if his mechanics have improved to where that could be the norm? (Not the gaudy numbers per say, but the completions, passes etc...)

Still think Rex will be a huge, huge get for an NFL team. Kid gets no love anywhere outside NU fans. Hopefully this season, with less reps and staying "fresh" he can rip of some "how ya like me now" type highlights. The kid is like an old International Scout, steady, dependable, not much to "look" at, but if I needed something to start in the morning, go all day until the work was done, he would be my pick.

Agree on the Martinez stuff. He doesn't have to turn into the second coming of Peyton Manning - all he has to be is consistent, and that will open up a WORLD of opportunities for this offense.

Love the Rex description. Hilarious. :D

I think the combination of both the his ankle being healed up and the possiblity of Tmart having an improved throwing motion could make him pretty dangerous. I have been waiting for him to finally get the pieces together. He has shown some pretty impressive rushing games, passing games, and even game manager games, but rarely has he put it all together in one game or one season. Last year the coaching staff began to keep him healthy by limiting high risk plays, and he seemed to have a better grasp on how to control the offense, make reads and react a little better, and understanding coverages. Now he is in his first 2nd year of an offense and is healthy and appears to be putting in the effort and hard work to make a push to be much better than last year. I kind of wonder if last year was an eye opener for Tmart...finally realized he cant rely on his feet to make everything happen and is working on making himself a more complete QB. If he continues to work on Throwing motion, I could see him being a pretty amazing QB in 2013, 2012 though could be a pretty fun year to watch our offense though with even a pretty limited improvement from our QB.

Just the fact that T-Mart has taken the initiative himself to get better. That is fabulous. He WANTS to get better. He WANTS to play better this year. HE wants to win. I'm looking forward to see where his hard work will take him this year.

On the flip side, we all know that the other teams are working just as hard as Nebraska is so it will be interesting to see how this year plays out. We have the potential to win it all, we really do-BUT will we execute once we're actually on the field. That is the big question, for me at least, as it has been our Achilles Heel for quite awhile. So, here's to a great year! GBR!!

I think the combination of both the his ankle being healed up and the possiblity of Tmart having an improved throwing motion could make him pretty dangerous. I have been waiting for him to finally get the pieces together. He has shown some pretty impressive rushing games, passing games, and even game manager games, but rarely has he put it all together in one game or one season. Last year the coaching staff began to keep him healthy by limiting high risk plays, and he seemed to have a better grasp on how to control the offense, make reads and react a little better, and understanding coverages. Now he is in his first 2nd year of an offense and is healthy and appears to be putting in the effort and hard work to make a push to be much better than last year. I kind of wonder if last year was an eye opener for Tmart...finally realized he cant rely on his feet to make everything happen and is working on making himself a more complete QB. If he continues to work on Throwing motion, I could see him being a pretty amazing QB in 2013, 2012 though could be a pretty fun year to watch our offense though with even a pretty limited improvement from our QB.

I think his most improved area last year was reading the other teams defense. He changed the play a lot once the defense was set and many of them went for big games. I look for that to continue. Its just something that happens when you play more and see different defenses.

• Fire 1

Hopefully the fans will be patient enough to wait and judge for themselves....

You are talking about Nebraska fans right?

Just a crumb of a plea for patience............not too much to ask is it?

I guess not, but we both know how some of our fans can be amirite?

Hopefully the fans will be patient enough to wait and judge for themselves....

You are talking about Nebraska fans right?

Just a crumb of a plea for patience............not too much to ask is it?

I guess not, but we both know how some of our fans can be amirite?

Yes you are, but for a second I thought you were referring to a form of bituminous fossil fuel........

QB coach sees progress from Martinez

Sam McKewon

LINCOLN — As Nebraska tries to land a quarterback for its 2013 class and I'm waxing philosophic on 2012 walk-on Ryker Fyfe, the Husker signal-caller who's actually started 25 games — Taylor Martinez — continues a quest to improve his throwing mechanics. Steve Calhoun, the Los Angeles-area quarterback coach who spent a week with Martinez in the spring, got three more weeks with the junior in May. And Calhoun helped get Martinez an invite to the mid-July Manning Passing Academy, where Calhoun will work as a camp assistant.

The private coach's verdict so far?

“People are going to be quite surprised in how far he's come in such a short time,” Calhoun said.

An update, nothing more. Do with it what you will.

Also, click the link - there's a ton more information in this blog/article. Sam talks about Alt Uniforms, Phil Steele and Football 202.

This makes me want to: chuckleshuffle:ahhhhhhhh .