Martinez QB Camp Update

Since we probably don't need another Taylor Martinez thread I figured I would tack this on here. This is a blurb from Brian Christopherson's blog report about Football 202:

*** The clinic included a viewing of the Huskers doing summer conditioning workouts.

Hard to take much of anything by watching 100-plus guys run wind sprints. I did notice Taylor Martinez was finishing first in many of the line sprints. That might be expected because of his speed, but it did catch my notice that he was going full bore during a June conditioning drill.

I'd have to count myself among those thinking Martinez wasn't fully healthy last year, which was (to my mind) a contributing factor to the coaches telling him to slide most of the time. That 2010 ankle injury was probably worse than anyone let on. Here's hoping that's an indicator that Martinez is, finally, fully healed from that injury.

Since we probably don't need another Taylor Martinez thread I figured I would tack this on here. This is a blurb from Brian Christopherson's blog report about Football 202:

*** The clinic included a viewing of the Huskers doing summer conditioning workouts.

Hard to take much of anything by watching 100-plus guys run wind sprints. I did notice Taylor Martinez was finishing first in many of the line sprints. That might be expected because of his speed, but it did catch my notice that he was going full bore during a June conditioning drill.

I'd have to count myself among those thinking Martinez wasn't fully healthy last year, which was (to my mind) a contributing factor to the coaches telling him to slide most of the time. That 2010 ankle injury was probably worse than anyone let on. Here's hoping that's an indicator that Martinez is, finally, fully healed from that injury.

We had some discussions about this, and it's the only reasonable solution I can come up with too. There was an indecisiveness about his running and a general lack of agility. He was straight line or bust, and even then, he was getting caught by guys he wouldn't have been caught by in 2010.

I'm sure many of us remember one of his first career touchdowns, where he juked his way into the end zone missing several tackles. The competition we were playing wasn't fierce by any definition, but it's something we haven't seen since those early games he played.

Boy if he gets his speed back from when he was a freshman our offense will be down right dangerous. My guess is by the time TM graduates he will own most of the record books and everyone on here will be wondering how we will ever replace him. Watching some of those highlights from 2010, he was running by guys like they were standing still. Ive never seen anyone get up to speed and hit a hole that fast.....ever. The last 2 years were just practice, it all comes together for him this year. Just stay healthy.

Boy if he gets his speed back from when he was a freshman our offense will be down right dangerous. My guess is by the time TM graduates he will own most of the record books and everyone on here will be wondering how we will ever replace him. Watching some of those highlights from 2010, he was running by guys like they were standing still. Ive never seen anyone get up to speed and hit a hole that fast.....ever. The last 2 years were just practice, it all comes together for him this year. Just stay healthy.

that goes for the whole team, i know people say were deep at positions like DT and RB, but idk if were deep or if we just have alot of inexperienced bodies and people are confusing that for depth, i am hoping that next year we can truely say we have alot of experienced depth because we put it on some teams this year and our 2nd and 3rd string players get some playing time.

and if t-marts ankle injury was as bad enough it took him a year and half to get fully healed from it, then that and the fact that he is indeed going all out in June tells me he is a serious team player and that he is ready to step into that big time team leader role that we need, on offense.

You know, it really was funny as hell to watch. Tmart would go blazing by those Washington or KSU guys who could barely swivel their head as he left them in the dust. Lol!

Oh yeah, he gets that Crouch-like acceleration going again the Big10 defenses are going to hate us in a big way.

I am really happy to see Taylor taking solid initiative to make himself a better player. He not only wants himself to be successful, but in the doing, help the team get more W's.

Yep. Even if he can't be a 'rah-rah' type of guy, I think this season it will be more of a reflection of receivers/O-line than Taylor's mechanics. I really think NU needs the offense to be dominant this year, and hope they can get it done.

I can actually see both facets of the offense improving...I especially see the WR's playing a more productive role and performing better. We'll see.

I hope so. I don't care so much about his mechanics as I do him getting the ball to receivers that can catch. Hope it's a good year.

Umm, it's his mechanics that keep him from getting the ball to his receivers. It's his mechanics that keep him from throwing catchable balls.

Eric Crouch does come to mind. ;)

Yep. Those two had/have simply unreal gap speed. For the life of me I couldn't say which one was quicker. Bo Jackson had it too.

Taylor's acceleration is definitely on-par with Crouch's, but Taylor can't juke or move laterally at all really. Crouch was much better at that and that's where the difference lies. Get Taylor moving in a straight line and he'll blow by anyone though.

I honestly don't think Crouch can compare to Taylor as far as those first 2-3 steps. Top-end speed, they've gotta be dang near equal, but I think Taylor gets to that higher gear quicker. Video references below...that burst by Taylor at 2:03 is just unfathomably quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLMIlXTTwI8

I am really happy to see Taylor taking solid initiative to make himself a better player. He not only wants himself to be successful, but in the doing, help the team get more W's.

Yep. Even if he can't be a 'rah-rah' type of guy, I think this season it will be more of a reflection of receivers/O-line than Taylor's mechanics. I really think NU needs the offense to be dominant this year, and hope they can get it done.

I can actually see both facets of the offense improving...I especially see the WR's playing a more productive role and performing better. We'll see.

I hope so. I don't care so much about his mechanics as I do him getting the ball to receivers that can catch. Hope it's a good year.

Umm, it's his mechanics that keep him from getting the ball to his receivers. It's his mechanics that keep him from throwing catchable balls.

Umm, I guess Zac Lee's mechanics were the same as they dropped boatloads of his passes too.

I think 3:00 is an example of a time he would have scored a TD in his freshman year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0p_HqSfT-M

But I also see merit in him having a year where he learned that the offense doesn't have to rely on his ability to make a big play. If he can combine the two... his ability to make the big play and the knowledge that he doesn't have to make miraculous plays (that often wind up as interceptions or keeping the ball when he should hand it off) he will be great.

I'm just gonna say it right now - with even minimal progression in his passing skills, if he regains his pre-injury speed, we're a Big Ten contender. And that's with all the questions I have on defense (and I have a lot).

Yeah. I think we have shown a fairly decent ability to go deep on the playaction, and we have the guys to stretch the field as well. The part where we can realistically get the most mileage from Taylor now is a return to his billed gamebreaking skills. He doesn't need to carry the load. He just needs to be able to hit the big gainers. Average 10-15 run plays a game.

Umm, I guess Zac Lee's mechanics were the same as they dropped boatloads of his passes too.

Taylor's mechanics and his inconsistent delivery absolutely play a role in some of it.

So did Zac Lee's throwing arm injury...the one he that hamstrung him starting the Ark State game and especially during VT when he re-hurt it.