*** The Official 2012 Grilling Thread ***

It's a little late in the season to start this, but we really should have a specific thread for grilling. If you have any great grilling recipes, any good ideas, tips or tricks, share them here.

Tonight I'm grilling pizza. In the past I've grilled them directly on the grates, but for simplicity's sake I've put my baking stone/pizza stone on the grill tonight. I'll update with some pics later.

Here's a picture journey of my meal tonight.

Starts with a hot grill. I put my baking stone in there for about an hour:

000_hot_grill.jpg

Mise en place: You live and die by your prep. Get everything ready BEFORE you cook.

Anthony Bourdain is famous for perpetuating the line, "Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance." Chop, slice, simmer, saute and shred everything before you start. Everything.

Here we have (clockwise from upper left) shredded mozzarella, granulated garlic seasoning, store-bought pepperoni, and sliced-and-sauteed (in order of sautee, using the same pan): Italian Sausage, red pepper, onions (red and yellow) and white cap mushrooms. The grease from the sausage flavors the veggies. I deglaze the pan with white wine before sauteeing the onions.

00_toppings.jpg

You've already made your dough, your "mise" is done, your stone is HOT, and you've got everything ready to go. Now it's time to make pizza. Blind-bake (cook with nothing on it) your dough first:

01_rawdoughongrill.jpg

Pull the dough off with your pizza peel after maybe two/three minutes. FLIP your dough, so you're putting your sauce/ingredients on the COOKED side:

02_cookedside.jpg

Add your sauce:

02_doughcookedsauceon.jpg

Add all your toppings (I like the pepperoni on top to crisp up):

03_readyforgrill.jpg

Now grill that bad boy until the cheese starts taking on color. Don't overcook, and DO NOT constantly open your grill to check. You'll lose heat and your cheese will never brown. Once done, pull off and let it sit for a minute:

04_finishedproduct.jpg

Slice and serve. Each pizza can be made to order. It takes some practice, and you need a grill with multiple burners, but it can be done. These were fantastic.

It also helps if you have the right tools. You can get a pizza peel at most cooking supply stores. Hockenberg's in Lincoln (and there's another in Omaha on F Street, and one up in Minneapolis) sold me mine. Large cutting boards are handy, and you can get those at Sam's or at the Gretna Outlet Malls:

05_tools.jpg

• Fire 1

Grilling Cuban sandwiches tonight. I can't get my hands on a Cuban roll (don't even know what kind of bread that is) so I'm using ciabatta. Here's the marinade:

Cuban Sandwich Marinade

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon dried oregano

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

4 cloves garlic, peeled and gently smashed with the side of your knife

1/4 teaspoon dried red chili flakes

1 medium onion, sliced

1 cup fresh orange juice

1 lime, juiced

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth

2 bay leaves

I stabbed a 1-lb hunk of pork shoulder with a meat fork so the juices would penetrate well, then set in the fridge overnight to marinate. This AM I put the roast and juices in the crock pot on the lowest setting, and when I get home I'll finish it on the grill, using any juices in the crock as a mop.

Then it's a matter of layering the ciabatta with dijon mustard, deli ham, swiss cheese, pickles and the sliced pork shoulder and grilling that under a brick for maybe two minutes per side on a hot grill.

Grilling Cuban sandwiches tonight. I can't get my hands on a Cuban roll (don't even know what kind of bread that is) so I'm using ciabatta. Here's the marinade:

Cuban Sandwich Marinade

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon dried oregano

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

4 cloves garlic, peeled and gently smashed with the side of your knife

1/4 teaspoon dried red chili flakes

1 medium onion, sliced

1 cup fresh orange juice

1 lime, juiced

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth

2 bay leaves

I stabbed a 1-lb hunk of pork shoulder with a meat fork so the juices would penetrate well, then set in the fridge overnight to marinate. This AM I put the roast and juices in the crock pot on the lowest setting, and when I get home I'll finish it on the grill, using any juices in the crock as a mop.

Then it's a matter of layering the ciabatta with dijon mustard, deli ham, swiss cheese, pickles and the sliced pork shoulder and grilling that under a brick for maybe two minutes per side on a hot grill.

Sounds great! I love Cuban food. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Several years ago I used to eat lunch at little Cuban restaurant a couple times per week. I was heartbroken when it closed.