Big Ten - Pac 12 Alliance dissolves...

Being that the PAC has gone from a 10-team con with a round-robin format to a 12-team con with a CCG I don't seee why they continue with the 9-game sched.

Because of the California Four.

USC, UCLA, Cal and Stanford were split up with two in each division (allowing the California recruiting to still be equally advantageous to the other non-California based teams in both divisons) BUT all four still want to play each other every year. To accommodate that, the conference uses a 9 game schedule.

2 [NCAA mandated] halves of the conference with 4 teams having 2 protected cross-over rivalries. It makes as much sense as the NFL's sense of geography.

I don't think the NFL really has a geographical sense of commitment. They make enough money to fly any team to the DRC for a game if they wanted to...as long as it was televised, of course.

Was hopping to get a game with Arizona down in Tucson. There are a lot of Neb folks living in southern Ariz and through out the state. Was sure that wouldn't happen when Stoops was coaching here. Now that Rich-Rod is the new coach, thought that would be a good time get a couple of games between them. Some very good players in this area, would help if Nebraska got some more exposure in this area. I think playing a team like Ariz would only help the SOS, with the other teams they have to go up against. in Pac-12 play. They always seem to beat one of the big boy's every year. and they have been a tough to beat at home, ask Iowa. And I would only have to drive about 5 miles :lol:

GBR!!!

The problem is that no one knows exactly how much SOS will be weighted in the new playoff world for another 2 years - given historical precedent it's safer to assume that wins will trump SOS until the results show otherwise...so my answer to that question will be that no major changes will occur until 2020 or so

I would say tie goes to SOS. Two 11-1 teams. One with SOS of 15 and the other with a SOS of 98. give it to the one with 15

I think the only way teams start scheduling harder is if a 10-2 team with a SOS of 15 gets the nod over a 11-1 with an SOS of 98...we'll see what happens

Was hopping to get a game with Arizona down in Tucson. There are a lot of Neb folks living in southern Ariz and through out the state. Was sure that wouldn't happen when Stoops was coaching here. Now that Rich-Rod is the new coach, thought that would be a good time get a couple of games between them. Some very good players in this area, would help if Nebraska got some more exposure in this area. I think playing a team like Ariz would only help the SOS, with the other teams they have to go up against. in Pac-12 play. They always seem to beat one of the big boy's every year. and they have been a tough to beat at home, ask Iowa. And I would only have to drive about 5 miles :lol:

GBR!!!

and ND had our 2013 rematch with Dennis Erickson cut off because he couldn't win ONE more game vs craptacular competition last year. Aside from Cal Southern, you can't rely on that conference for anything.

Being that the PAC has gone from a 10-team con with a round-robin format to a 12-team con with a CCG I don't seee why they continue with the 9-game sched.

Because of the California Four.

USC, UCLA, Cal and Stanford were split up with two in each division (allowing the California recruiting to still be equally advantageous to the other non-California based teams in both divisons) BUT all four still want to play each other every year. To accommodate that, the conference uses a 9 game schedule.

This is 100% correct. Also, it was a real challenge to add Utah and Colorado because the northern schools had to take a hit in their recruiting of southern California.

I really don't care how it happens but I would really prefer to see more major teams playing each other. I get tired of the money games against FCS teams etc. Even teams like Fresno St and Wyoming are better than Idaho St, University of the Pacific, South Dakota St (I know they almost beat us but I don't care). I liked the idea of pairing up with a another conference to assure there would be decent match ups regularly. I know we usually get a bigger name team in the noncon but if they set it up in a rotation then you could plan ahead as you would know what teams would be rotating on in the years to come and get excited for potential match ups. If it didn't hurt our chances to make it to the championship playoff I say go to a 9 game conf schedule or set up the match up with another BCS conference to maximize the amount of better games out there. In case you are asking I do consider even Nebraska vs Indiana as a better game than Nebraska vs McNeese St just saying.

Perhaps we're seeing the first wave of answers to last month's question, "Will teams schedule tougher opponents so they will make the playoff?" Does this mean the PAC decided that it's more important to get to 11-1 than to reach 11 or 10 wins with a quality SOS?

Everybody wants 7 home games. That becomes more difficult when you play a 9 game regular season and have a home and home with another BCS school. Much easier to schedule a smaller school and guarantee a home game or even two.

I really don't care how it happens but I would really prefer to see more major teams playing each other. I get tired of the money games against FCS teams etc. Even teams like Fresno St and Wyoming are better than Idaho St, University of the Pacific, South Dakota St (I know they almost beat us but I don't care). I liked the idea of pairing up with a another conference to assure there would be decent match ups regularly. I know we usually get a bigger name team in the noncon but if they set it up in a rotation then you could plan ahead as you would know what teams would be rotating on in the years to come and get excited for potential match ups. If it didn't hurt our chances to make it to the championship playoff I say go to a 9 game conf schedule or set up the match up with another BCS conference to maximize the amount of better games out there. In case you are asking I do consider even Nebraska vs Indiana as a better game than Nebraska vs McNeese St just saying.
Perhaps we're seeing the first wave of answers to last month's question, "Will teams schedule tougher opponents so they will make the playoff?" Does this mean the PAC decided that it's more important to get to 11-1 than to reach 11 or 10 wins with a quality SOS?
Everybody wants 7 home games. That becomes more difficult when you play a 9 game regular season and have a home and home with another BCS school. Much easier to schedule a smaller school and guarantee a home game or even two.

This is exactly right. It's all about economics. That extra home game brings in too much cash to switch it out for a larger school who would want a home/home series.

or 6 home games and two neutral sites :rolleyes:

9 conference games, 1 cross conference game, 1 cross sectional rival, leaves one slot open for Sacramento State. Problem solved!

Dang I wanted to see us play Colorado (!?!). I miss the big 12..

great point. we just missed a prime opportunity to restore our greatest rivalry.

not to mention, the buffalo (i.e. american bison, tatanka) is my favorite animal.

kramer-is-shocked-981.gif

i know: that's not how you spell 'Oklahoma'.

• Fire 1

great point. we just missed a prime opportunity to restore our greatest rivalry.

not to mention, the buffalo (i.e. american bison, tatanka) is my favorite animal.

Holy Hack sighting.

Well I never said they were a rival just wanted to relive some good memories. Of course Oklahoma was and will forever be remembered as our greatest rival..