CBSSports.com 2012 Preseason All-Big Ten Team

OFFENSE

Quarterback

• Denard Robinson, Michigan

Also considered: A few more dual threat quarterbacks like Ohio State's Braxton Miller, Nebraska's Taylor Martinez and Illinois' Nathan Scheelhaase deserve consideration, but none have accomplished nearly as much as Robinson.

Runningbacks

• Montee Ball, Wisconsin
  • Rex Burkhead, Nebraska - Burkhead didn't have a lot of trouble making the transition from running against Big 12 defenses to Big Ten defenses in 2011. The Nebraska running back rushed for 1,357 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2011 while being the most reliable back in the conference not named Montee Ball.

LINK

What's with all the Badgers? Is the author from Wisconsin or something? Six Badgers on first team. Seven if you include the punt returner. And not one Blackshirt.

I spent about 10 minutes editing it myself. I thought it would be okay to include the names, but not the comments. And include only the comments for the couple of NU players who got the nod.

You should have at least left the NU players in.

none have accomplished nearly as much as Robinson

I stopped reading here. For the record, I would pick Robinson to have a slightly better year than Martinez (but I think it will be close). But I don't understand this statement. The only way that Robinson has accomplished way more than Martinez is if you think 10-2 is way better than 9-4 and an individual player is solely responsible for their team's win-loss record.

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that people just have this "idea" in their heads of how good Robinson is that is not close to reality. His statistics have been nearly identical to Taylor's. He might be better, but the statement that Martinez hasn't accomplished "nearly as much" as what Robinson has is a pile of feces.

• Fire 1

I've never understood the hype around Denard Robinson. He's a great runner, and only a slightly better passer than Taylor.

i think after this year that statement will be false, with all of the work Taylor has put in this off season i think Taylors passing game is going to be greatly improved. i havent heard anything about Robinson putting in a bunch of work to improve his game this summer (granted thats probably because I dont follow Michigan football hardly at all) I really think by the end of the up coming season we as husker fans will be able to say we have a much more complete QB in Taylor than Michigan has in Denard.

none have accomplished nearly as much as Robinson

I stopped reading here. For the record, I would pick Robinson to have a slightly better year than Martinez (but I think it will be close). But I don't understand this statement. The only way that Robinson has accomplished way more than Martinez is if you think 10-2 is way better than 9-4 and an individual player is solely responsible for their team's win-loss record.

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that people just have this "idea" in their heads of how good Robinson is that is not close to reality. His statistics have been nearly identical to Taylor's. He might be better, but the statement that Martinez hasn't accomplished "nearly as much" as what Robinson has is a pile of feces.

+1, I think it is media-based. He has a 'flash' to him that gets the college football world excited about him. But I think the biggest difference is O-line blocking. It's a lot easier to get a mediocre passer great looks down the field if the line has been blocking properly to get your team good rushing yards to set up the pass. Such a calling card of T.O.'s teams.

What's with all the Badgers? Is the author from Wisconsin or something? Six Badgers on first team. Seven if you include the punt returner. And not one Blackshirt.

After last season which Blackshirt deserves to be preseason all-conference? I wouldn't pick any of them. As a fan who follows the team closely I can tell you who I think is going to have a big year and maybe get all-conference honors at season's end, but can you blame them for not picking any in the preseason?

After last season which Blackshirt deserves to be preseason all-conference? I wouldn't pick any of them.

I agree with this. This might be wishful thinking, but maybe they'll be better as a unit this year because the expectations are lower and there are no "stars." Not that I think Crick, Dennard or David acted like stars, but it might have been distracting hearing about them all the time, and when you hear about how awesome these indivoduals are, you might start thinking your team is going to automatically be awesome and unconsciously work a bit less hard because you know they'll pick up the slack

After last season which Blackshirt deserves to be preseason all-conference? I wouldn't pick any of them. As a fan who follows the team closely I can tell you who I think is going to have a big year and maybe get all-conference honors at season's end, but can you blame them for not picking any in the preseason?

For one I’d give the nod to Damien Stafford over Ibraheim Campbell of NW at safety. Campbell is the best player on a terribly crappy defense--worst in the B1G 10. Sure he had 90+ tackles last year. But that’s not necessarily a good thing for a safety. The guy only had four pass breakups all season. Stafford had ten last year--seven of them in conf play. Ibraheim Campbell is young, and will be a solid player. But he is a bit undersized. Stafford has more size, and more athletic ability. And Stafford can lay the wood on huge game-changing hits. Would you rather have Stafford or Ibraheim Campbell on your defense this year? I'd take Stafford in a heartbeat. I think he is underrated.

Another Husker I'd consider is Steinkuhler. He doesn't have the game of tOSU DT Jon Hankins, one of the best DTs in the whole nation. But Steinkuhler might be better than Akeem Spence of Illinois, the other guy on the cbssports list above.

To me it feels like we will be awesome this year because we are flying under the radar and most pundents out there think we have too many ? on either side of the ball to make any noise in out div and i think we will shock alot of pepole with how good this D will be and how much more balence the O will have. I just think the big red monster is ready to be awaken! GBR!!