Ten reasons to be excited in 2012

Not sure if I'm sipping the kool-aid this year; I see us being another 3-4 loss team. But that's not bad at all. This squad is young and we have almost no seniors starting this year. If Abdullah can shine, or maybe even Heard, than next year will be our time to shine. It'll be Martinez' senior year, well have a much more experienced squad, and a much easier schedule.

But for this year, if we can pull off wins versus both Michigan and Michigan State, we'll be likely to face Wisconsin in Indianapolis, which is where the fun will start.

i wouldn't necessarily call this a young team. We were younger last year, we have a pretty balanced lineup between sophomores-seniors.

I am actually excited for year two under Beck. I can't remember the last time we actually had an experienced QB returning with the same OC and the actual same offensive scheme (I am still unsure WTH we are, but at least it is year 2 with the "same" system). This alone should be worth at least one extra win.

Not mentioned, but I am also excited about the addition of Joseph. Seems to be none of the questionable comments that were out last year about Raymond changing things. I really think (if comments are true) that Joseph might be able to be somewhat Marvinesque in hi ability to teach the young kids how to be physical and basically take a passing game out of the other teams OC game plan. With the experience coming back in Green, Evans, Smith, SJB, Stafford, Osbourne even MO and the new kids we are looking to be, IMO, very, very good back there. A great group of DB's can really make an average line look great ie 2010.

I think this will enable Bo to be more aggressive with his game plans defensively knowing our DB's can go man occasionally and still cover well.

As mentioned above, O line, O line, O line. It starts up front. I can care less how great Martinez's mechanics are. If he has no time, he is screwed. I think Beck, see above, will help this by adjusting the plays this year to take advantage of our speed and DC's selling out to stop the run. I also think that the addition of Marrow and Cross should help as well. They appear to be HUGE guys that DB's after a few pancakes, will be reluctant to come in to the box as readily. Throw in QE laying guys out and we have the makings of an incredibly physical O. Something we haven't seen in a while.

Optimistically, clearing up the stupid penalties and catch 2-3 more passes per game we win 2 more games. This, without improving in anything, but mistakes.

I am optimistic this year. Under the radar for sure will help. Not an underdog mentality, but like our last year in the BigXII we got everyones best shot, same as the B1G last year in that we got everyones best shot.

I am actually excited for year two under Beck. I can't remember the last time we actually had an experienced QB returning with the same OC and the actual same offensive scheme (I am still unsure WTH we are, but at least it is year 2 with the "same" system). This alone should be worth at least one extra win.

Not mentioned, but I am also excited about the addition of Joseph. Seems to be none of the questionable comments that were out last year about Raymond changing things. I really think (if comments are true) that Joseph might be able to be somewhat Marvinesque in hi ability to teach the young kids how to be physical and basically take a passing game out of the other teams OC game plan. With the experience coming back in Green, Evans, Smith, SJB, Stafford, Osbourne even MO and the new kids we are looking to be, IMO, very, very good back there. A great group of DB's can really make an average line look great ie 2010.

I think this will enable Bo to be more aggressive with his game plans defensively knowing our DB's can go man occasionally and still cover well.

As mentioned above, O line, O line, O line. It starts up front. I can care less how great Martinez's mechanics are. If he has no time, he is screwed. I think Beck, see above, will help this by adjusting the plays this year to take advantage of our speed and DC's selling out to stop the run. I also think that the addition of Marrow and Cross should help as well. They appear to be HUGE guys that DB's after a few pancakes, will be reluctant to come in to the box as readily. Throw in QE laying guys out and we have the makings of an incredibly physical O. Something we haven't seen in a while.

Optimistically, clearing up the stupid penalties and catch 2-3 more passes per game we win 2 more games. This, without improving in anything, but mistakes.

I am optimistic this year. Under the radar for sure will help. Not an underdog mentality, but like our last year in the BigXII we got everyones best shot, same as the B1G last year in that we got everyones best shot.

Exactly!

I don't know what offensive scheme we are either but agree year two of it is a good deal for us. Oline-Oline-Oline.......I don't expect them to be anything close to great but there should be some real-deal improvement.

Is it Sept yet??

We will have 22+ wins over the next 2 years. Save it in Microsoft Word to hold me to it, but that's my bold and confident prediction that I'll be happy to eat crow on if it comes to it.

That's definitely possible. The 2013 schedule will help get us there. I see that lineup and I see Indy waiting.

Well a bold statement per Sam McKewon about Taylor Martinez and the Huskers, "....this is a guy that's got to turn the page a little bit and get better as a thrower, get better as a leader, get better as a huddle manager, get better at changing the plays. If he can do that, this offense is a 400 yard, 40-point a game offense." (at approx. the 1:29 mark of the OWH video posted below).

I respect Sam's insight, knowledge, and opinion of the Huskers. He typically provides some great feedback on the Huskers and will tell it like it is. His statements got me pretty excited about the team, however, he makes it clear that there are aspects of Taylor's game that need to improve. Then Sam goes on to elaborate about how the o-line needs to improve as well. I figure I would post this in this discussion forum considering he gives some possible reasons as to how the Huskers can be successful this upcoming season. Check it:

http://sports.omaha....y-show-july-31/

Sam is the best writer who covers Nebraska football, and no one else is even close. How he snuck past the anti-Husker guard dogs at the Herald baffles me. (That's not entirely fair, Jon Natawa (sic?) does good work, but Lee and Dirk are hugely prominent at the Herald, and they go out of their way to find any and all negatives and then enhance them over all else. So to me, the Herald is often absurdly hostile to what is one of if not THE biggest passion in the state. Same as Travis Justice. He was all over Omaha media forever, and I can still hear him on the radio talking about how his brother has a Hawkeye tat on his arm. Why do we have these people covering sports in Omaha?)

Anyway, I agree with Sam (as usual). Good link btw, Chaddy :thumbs. We almost have an embarrassment of riches at the skill positions on offense. Still disappointed about Green leaving because I thought he had the potential to be an incredibly explosive player, but the WR corps is one of the best in the nation, Cotton is (imo, naturally) quite undervalued at TE. He blocks well, and he has dependable hands. Probably won't run a fly route for a 80 yarder, but he'll reel in that hook pass on third and five. And, of course, we've got Reed to cover that home run route. (If healthy. Worried about that a little...Kyler is a guy that can give a DC a tough night's sleep. Hope he's 100%.) Don't even need to mention Superman. (Just did!) Ameer needs to hold onto the ball, but if he gets that figured out he'll be a nice back for us for a number of years. Same with Heard. I know there is still some talk about him playing a little D too, but I'd be shocked if he wasn't strictly with the RBs by mid-season. And I like the way he runs. Braylon actually impressed me just a hair more than Abdullah, and I'm an Ameer fan.

So, sure, it all comes down to Taylor. (Actually, no. It all comes down to the line first, then the burden transfers to Taylor.) I thought he made tangible progress as a QB last year. Yeah, the double-take inducing touchdown runs were absent last year, but I'd bet an awful lot that was mostly a reflection on how the coaches felt about the backups. It seemed pretty clear he was told to avoid contact whenever possible, every time. That, and a high ankle sprain PLUS a turf toe injury are bad. Those two injuries seem to linger for an extended period of time. But I think it was more of the coaches pulling back on the reins than physical limitation that kept the big runs down last year.

Yes, his throwing motion is ugly. Harrison Beck had much better form. Mechanics ain't everything. Taylor made wiser decisions, held onto the ball much better, and directed the offense far more comfortably and adeptly than his first year as a starter. And the kid was a redshirt freshman starting at QB after all. That's tough...for any kid. Never mind one who wasn't a quarterback for his whole playing career from Pee-Wee on up like a lot of starting D1 kids were. I think the offense could be very dangerous next year, but it isn't Taylor that worries me a little. It's the guys up front. If they play well...look out.

And really, offense isn't my concern anyway. Defense scares the sh#t out of me. If they aren't markedly better this season, this board is going to be ugly for awhile. And I don't see reasons for optimism there, I see big empty spaces where Lavonte and Dennard and Crick used to roam. In my heart of hearts, I hate to admit that I think the D will hurt us next year, often. And man...I really hope I'm wrong about that.

• Fire 2

I think we can make a move this year, and we need to. The BIG is just going to get tougher, we need to get over this plateu before we get left behind. We're in the second year of Beck's O and we have plenty of guys back. Skill positions should be much improved, should actually have a respectable passing threat. On D we should be more accustomed to BIG offenses, we've made a couple good hires, and Bo should be back to being de-facto DC. ST's should be good with Maher and the return guys back. New kick-off rules probably help us.

Getting momenum on the field could help us get momentum off of it, give recruiting for this and next class a nice boost.