Manufactured Controversy?

"Wanting it more" is an excuse that's thrown out when someone has no real argument.

Total and complete BS. If you don't "want it more" than your opponent, don't play on my team.

It's an unquantifiable mental state that you can't prove. Allegedly, we "wanted it more" than Texas in 2010, and we were the better team. And it didn't mean jack squat.

Just joined the "Board" today, since the Journal-Star has messed up the lifeinthered blog. Hi to everyone here, I've checked this board in the past and it seems to have honest opions of true Husker fans.

I'll start this out with something that won't make everyone happy, but I think where Peter is coming from is the fact that Coach Bo still has serious issues dealing with the general public and sportswriters/media in particular.

Watch yesterday's post-practice interview and this is so obvious, it's like he thinks he's on trial for something.

I do have some knowledge of his behavior in public and private that has not always been wonderful, but I also know one of his past players who just loves Bo. So what to make from all this?

Losing control of your emotions on the sideline is an indication of passion for the game, but being a jerk in public indicates someone needs some serious counseling. Maybe Dr. Tom has had Bo get some help with this, but in watching that interview yesterday - I doubt it.

When the guys asking you questions are baiting you, or twisting your words to sell ad space and newspapers, you're not gonna want to talk to them. Afterall, they tried to blame the bowl game loss on his sideline outburst, which was proven decidedly false.

Just joined the "Board" today, since the Journal-Star has messed up the lifeinthered blog. Hi to everyone here, I've checked this board in the past and it seems to have honest opions of true Husker fans.

I'll start this out with something that won't make everyone happy, but I think where Peter is coming from is the fact that Coach Bo still has serious issues dealing with the general public and sportswriters/media in particular.

Watch yesterday's post-practice interview and this is so obvious, it's like he thinks he's on trial for something.

I do have some knowledge of his behavior in public and private that has not always been wonderful, but I also know one of his past players who just loves Bo. So what to make from all this?

Losing control of your emotions on the sideline is an indication of passion for the game, but being a jerk in public indicates someone needs some serious counseling. Maybe Dr. Tom has had Bo get some help with this, but in watching that interview yesterday - I doubt it.

When the guys asking you questions are baiting you, or twisting your words to sell ad space and newspapers, you're not gonna want to talk to them. Afterall, they tried to blame the bowl game loss on his sideline outburst, which was proven decidedly false.

He represents the University of Nebraska, if he can't deal with the media on the first day of practice without scowling, maybe its time to reconsider being a head coach and return to being a defensive coordinator somewhere else. I've seen him be good with the media so I'm not asking for a miracle, he can improve. I just don't know how long Dr. Tom will put up with him appearing to be such a jerk?

I don't want Bo to go anywhere, but the last coach I saw be so angry with the media was Paterno. To think that being a positive image in the eyes of the media is not important for a college head coach, is foolish.

Personally I think Bo has done a fantastic job of fixing the culture of the program. I think that was really shown just recently with Ryan Klachko. Now that the programs culture seems to have stabilized, I hope that the playing can stabilize. For this to happen, we need to get our coaching tree on lock down, get the same system in place, keep it in place, and allow players to learn systems. The championships will come eventually, be they conference or MNC's.

He represents the University of Nebraska, if he can't deal with the media on the first day of practice without scowling, maybe its time to reconsider being a head coach and return to being a defensive coordinator somewhere else. I've seen him be good with the media so I'm not asking for a miracle, he can improve. I just don't know how long Dr. Tom will put up with him appearing to be such a jerk?

I don't want Bo to go anywhere, but the last coach I saw be so angry with the media was Paterno. To think that being a positive image in the eyes of the media is not important for a college head coach, is foolish.

You just compared Bo to guy who covered up for a child molester, and got caught... Ok.

When exactly did Bo act like he couldn't deal with the media on day 1? I just watched his whole interview, and he seemed fine. Please give examples.

i get tired of listening to people sit back and judge bo for alot of his actions, i would venture to say that most of us dont know what its like to have every word we say and very move we make put under a microscope and scrutinized. i think bo has gotten better than when he first started and he is going to continue to get better. and if he sucks it up with the media so what, as long as he keeps improving the program then i'll be happy

I'm not a hater...just a little tired of Bo's "grumpy gus" act, wish he would appear to happy just to have practice starting. I know it doesn't matter, the last thing I want for the Huskers is a salesman instead of a coach.

saunders45 you are right, I watched it again with better camera and audio and he was fine, normal Bo reaction, it's probably just that Sean Callahan looks scared to death when he asks a question :)

I'm not a hater...just a little tired of Bo's "grumpy gus" act, wish he would appear to happy just to have practice starting. I know it doesn't matter, the last thing I want for the Huskers is a salesman instead of a coach.

saunders45 you are right, I watched it again with better camera and audio and he was fine, normal Bo reaction, it's probably just that Sean Callahan looks scared to death when he asks a question :)

Listen man, I mean no disrespect, but I doubt you have ever been a coach. I can tell you when I have had to answer some media questions after a practice that either didn't go the way I wanted or was low on energy or had to chew the team for something, I have trouble putting on that happy face...and I'm a high school basketball coach.

Imagine that at Nebraska with 25 reporters asking stupid questions, I would struggle. I am actually amazed he does as well as he does. You should see how Stoops and Saban treat the media. Bo is fine.

As far as Jason Peter, he is a defensive tackle who smashed his head for a living, had trouble with drugs, then wrote a memoir about it, and now some are surprised he has lower than average intelligence and is an attention whore?? Sounds about right to me.

As far as Jason Peter, he is a defensive tackle who smashed his head for a living, had trouble with drugs, then wrote a memoir about it, and now some are surprised he has lower than average intelligence and is an attention whore?? Sounds about right to me.

I don't think anyone is surprised...we're just taking the opportunity to remind everyone again how unlistenable he is as a radio host.

Playing harder and wanting it more are the deciding factors when all else is equal.

This pretty much sums up my point for me and why I still contend that Peter says a lot of stupid things.

All else is NOT equal between what the 90s Nebraska players had and what they have now. He's dumbing it down and saying desire is the only difference and that's BS. He had a coaching staff with decades more experience, and back then Nebraska had a much bigger advantage as far as facilities are concerned. Then there's the fact that the program wasn't in the middle of being resurrected. It was a well-oiled machine.

If he's arguing that Bo can't motivate and the evidence is that the teams he was on won NC because they wanted it more, then Osborne apparently took 20+ years to learn how to motivate.

I have participated in, coached and officiated sports from grade school through college. (I am now 68 years old.) Playing harder and wanting it more are the deciding factors when all else is equal. There is no substitute for maximum effort. if you do not play harder and want it more, you will not be executing anything. What it comes down to is you and your opponent. Play harder, do your job and play with passion---------- you will almost always win. Anyone who believes any differently, is a fool's fool.

Your sports history has little relevance. I've played sports almost every year of my life. I've played in select baseball leagues and I played on really sad YMCA basketball teams. I know what it means to play at a high level and a low level. And after all of that, I say the idea of "wanting it more" is little else than sensationalist crap.

As I pointed out, the "wanting it more" argument is completely invalid if you really know what it means to be an athlete. Let me pull my quote from above:

Do you think the Thunder wanted to lose to the Heat? Do you think the Patriots wanted to lose to the Giants in the Superbowl, again? Do you think LSU wanted to walk out of the championship game as rematch losers? Of course not.

So, do you think any of those teams wanted to lose? Of course they didn't. "Lebron James wanted it more than Kevin Durant." Complete and utter B.S. There are a multitude of reasons why the Thunder lost to the Heat, for example, none of which involved desire and passion. The Thunder's abysmal three-shooting, poor defense, non-existent James Harden, over-confident Westbrook, the Heat's amazing field goal shooting in the last half of their series, etc., are far more relevant than "the Heat wanted it more." No they freakin' didn't. They had way more experience and executed far better.

I had a coach who said emotion and passion was for before and after competition, focus and execution is what you need on the field, and he was the most successful coach I ever played under. Clearly, he disagrees with you - does this make him a "fool's fool?"

"Wanting it more" is an excuse that's thrown out when someone has no real argument.

Total and complete BS. If you don't "want it more" than your opponent, don't play on my team.

It's an unquantifiable mental state that you can't prove. Allegedly, we "wanted it more" than Texas in 2010, and we were the better team. And it didn't mean jack squat.

Exactly. And I'm not saying desire and passion aren't a part of sports, because they most definitely are, but they're impossible to calculate or measure. We can only analyze what we know, and we know what good execution is and what isn't - we can measure it, we can quantify it, we can describe it with acute detail. As you mentioned, there's no denying Nebraska wanted to beat Texas more, especially after the '09 championship game. And as we all witnessed, it meant absolutely nothing when it came down to it.