Why not Brion Carnes

I am sure that this topic has been brought up before, but I could not find a thread on it so here we go. Why is it that Brion Carnes is not able to even push Taylor Martinez for the starting position. He doesnt even get much "clean up" time during blowouts (not that there have been a ton of those anyway). I remember Cody Green battling it out with Taylor Martinez and Taylor won obviously but there was sme debate. I suppose my question is why are we so invested in Taylor Martinez? Why has Bo Pelini stuck with him so long? Would anyone argue that Brion Carnes has more natural ability as a pure passer, better throwing motion, better footwork, and comes from a better pedigree of football? Manatee High School is one of the best high schools in the country. Why has Brion Carnes never been given a chance in live action? Is there something that I am missing? Like I said, maybe I have missed other conversations on this topic. I just feel like we have all our eggs in this basket and the basket isnt producing champioship results. We cant throw verticals, bubble screens, slants, sprint outs, or 5 yard outs. Surely the coaching staff sees this. Every year we get our hopes up that Taylor Martinez is going to make this vast improvement and it just hasnt happened. He has been the QB for the better part of 3 years and has made only minimal improvement. And yet not much talk about the second QB. Why is this?

I will tell you why. Brion Carnes college choices came down to western kentucky and nebraska. If nebraska didnt offer late carnes would be a treetopper

I am sure that this topic has been brought up before, but I could not find a thread on it so here we go. Why is it that Brion Carnes is not able to even push Taylor Martinez for the starting position. He doesnt even get much "clean up" time during blowouts (not that there have been a ton of those anyway). I remember Cody Green battling it out with Taylor Martinez and Taylor won obviously but there was sme debate. I suppose my question is why are we so invested in Taylor Martinez? Why has Bo Pelini stuck with him so long? Would anyone argue that Brion Carnes has more natural ability as a pure passer, better throwing motion, better footwork, and comes from a better pedigree of football? Manatee High School is one of the best high schools in the country. Why has Brion Carnes never been given a chance in live action? Is there something that I am missing? Like I said, maybe I have missed other conversations on this topic. I just feel like we have all our eggs in this basket and the basket isnt producing champioship results. We cant throw verticals, bubble screens, slants, sprint outs, or 5 yard outs. Surely the coaching staff sees this. Every year we get our hopes up that Taylor Martinez is going to make this vast improvement and it just hasnt happened. He has been the QB for the better part of 3 years and has made only minimal improvement. And yet not much talk about the second QB. Why is this?

I will tell you why. Brion Carnes college choices came down to western kentucky and nebraska. If nebraska didnt offer late carnes would be a treetopper

he was a cheap insurance policy we never had to make a claim on...........

He's only Played two years and the second year clearly wasn't 100% health wise. I really don't care if he throws the ball under hand this year if he comes out and leads our team to a bunch of victories. It seems to me that many of the folks on this board who continue to complain about TMart refuse to acknowledge how poor our receivers played in several games, dropping multiple passes etc. I say we give the junior a chance to continue to improve before we start replacing him with guys that look totally clueless when they get in. I will say, I hope Bo and co do a better job getting the younger guys in the game when the game permits. There's no doubt we will need these young guys at some point. Also don't forget, last year TMart had his share of ugliness, but, do you remember how horrible our defense looked at times? Last years results were a total team effort....both good and bad.

From what little we saw of Carnes last year, he's not even close to Martinez. He looked horrible in the option game, both on his pitches and his reads (not to mention he's much slower than Martinez). Our offense runs a lot of option, so Carnes' inability to run it effectively (or at least close to Martinez' ability) hinders him greatly.

Not to mention Martinez has been the starter for two years now, and has two years left. He has been building a rapport with our current receivers for two years now. That chemistry (especially next year when they've all played three years together) will pay dividends.

I suppose when I say three years I am referring to most of the spring before he started. it just feels like the job has always been his. Brion Carnes has never really been given a chance. Let's not forget that we were the only school that offered Taylor Martinez as a quarterback. We are Nebraska, we should have a much better selection of quarterbacks. What anyone argue with that? And I would Hardly call 13 touchdowns and eight interceptions some success. Is that the standard now at Nebraska have we lowered our expectations so far that this has become acceptable? Where is Jamal Lord when you need him?

This really shouldn't be even discussed. Martinez is better then Carnes and he's definitely better than Jamal Lord ever was. End of story.

You'll get to see Carnes during the Idaho St. game for sure so you've got that to look forward too.

Ahh..........nothing is guaranteed with this coaching staff's substitution philosophy.................(not a complaint........just a reflection on past decisions)..........

Brion Carnes has never really been given a chance. Let's not forget that we were the only school that offered Taylor Martinez as a quarterback.

And the guy you're slobbering about was going to Western freakin' Kentucky, the worst d-1 school at the time, before he decided to come here.

Well whoopty freakin' doo!!!!