Why not Brion Carnes

I didn't know that we were throwing out credentials here. But since you started I will say that I have been a coach at the collegiate level and the high school level. I actually like bo pelini as a coach. But let's remember that this is the first time he has ever been a head coach. We did overuse Rex Burkhead last year. And by overusing Rex we lost a future running back in our program. As far as the quarterback position is concerned, I'm just asking questions. I'm just wondering what is his thinking. And I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking the same thing that I'm thinking.

Just think, in 07 we could only get I Bleed Red and his playing credentials to post on this board. Now we're getting coaches! Progress!

Absolutely! True-blue cfb coaches who just can't understand why one qb plays a lot more than the other. It just doesn't get any better!

I didn't know that we were throwing out credentials here. But since you started I will say that I have been a coach at the collegiate level and the high school level. I actually like bo pelini as a coach. But let's remember that this is the first time he has ever been a head coach. We did overuse Rex Burkhead last year. And by overusing Rex we lost a future running back in our program. As far as the quarterback position is concerned, I'm just asking questions. I'm just wondering what is his thinking. And I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking the same thing that I'm thinking.

Just think, in 07 we could only get I Bleed Red and his playing credentials to post on this board. Now we're getting coaches! Progress!

Absolutely! True-blue cfb coaches who just can't understand why one qb plays a lot more than the other. It just doesn't get any better!

Why is there need for personal attacks? (awaits personal attack)

Here is what I believe and take it for what its worth. In our offense a healthy Martinez makes us go. Here is why. We all know about his running ability that really hasnt been the same since Kansas St 2010. When he gets healthy and the rumor now is that he finally is healthy, he CAN make cuts. Something he hasnt been able to do for a while now. Martinez knows it, his teammates know it and so do the coaches.

I think alot of the optimism going on is because Taylor is healthy and we are finally going to see the offense explode. The improved passing will be nice but, its Taylors healthy running ability that will improve our passing game. Anyone ever take notice we never saw many boot legs or sprint outs etc... Just makes me think it was all part of protecting Taylor's high ankle sprain.

Its just a thought with no proof, just my gut feeling

I am sure that this topic has been brought up before, but I could not find a thread on it so here we go. Why is it that Brion Carnes is not able to even push Taylor Martinez for the starting position. He doesnt even get much "clean up" time during blowouts (not that there have been a ton of those anyway). I remember Cody Green battling it out with Taylor Martinez and Taylor won obviously but there was sme debate. I suppose my question is why are we so invested in Taylor Martinez? Why has Bo Pelini stuck with him so long? Would anyone argue that Brion Carnes has more natural ability as a pure passer, better throwing motion, better footwork, and comes from a better pedigree of football? Manatee High School is one of the best high schools in the country. Why has Brion Carnes never been given a chance in live action? Is there something that I am missing? Like I said, maybe I have missed other conversations on this topic. I just feel like we have all our eggs in this basket and the basket isnt producing champioship results. We cant throw verticals, bubble screens, slants, sprint outs, or 5 yard outs. Surely the coaching staff sees this. Every year we get our hopes up that Taylor Martinez is going to make this vast improvement and it just hasnt happened. He has been the QB for the better part of 3 years and has made only minimal improvement. And yet not much talk about the second QB. Why is this?

1) Why are we so invested in Taylor?

Because he's been our quarterback for two straight years now. You don't just give a guy that much playing time with fairly decent results and then just hand the reins over to someone else.

2) I love the argument that if we put Brion Carnes in, instead of Taylor, that we will win championships. It makes perfect sense...

3) Every year we get our hopes up that Taylor is going to make vast improvements...

Every year? So what, last year? Good sample size. And to be honest, he made great improvements last year. He made much better decisions on the option play and he knew when to scramble and when to attempt a pass.

Finally, anyone who says Taylor has been our quarterback for a better part of 3 years has obviously not been watching this football team.

Tell that to Zac Lee.

Just sayin.......

• Fire 1

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. I guess if you dont have at least 2000+ posts, and you try to fit in a conversation, you're just an idiot?

Clack - I don't know if I am seeing the same thing, but it worries me that if TM gets injured, we don't have a single quarterback with ANY playing time. He should get some playing time, just to give him some game time speed experience. Pinkel does this with his young qb's. It has worked pretty well for him. OK....I have my armor on...attack away

The comments by Martinez at Fan day are telling. He mentioned Armstrong and not Carnes. IMO, Armstrong will be our #2 guy. Carnes is way down the list. If he gets in during a game this season, we are in tough times. I will try and find the article.

IIRC, he was specifically asked about Armstrong.

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. I guess if you dont have at least 2000+ posts, and you try to fit in a conversation, you're just an idiot?

Based on your post count you don't even qualify for idiot.

^_^

The comments by Martinez at Fan day are telling. He mentioned Armstrong and not Carnes. IMO, Armstrong will be our #2 guy. Carnes is way down the list. If he gets in during a game this season, we are in tough times. I will try and find the article.

IIRC, he was specifically asked about Armstrong.

Thanks. I remember him mentioning Tommy, but couldn't find the article or context. What we have missed as much as a now 3 yr starter is a guy to push the number 1. Hopefully Carnes, Tommy etc steps up and gives Bo a viable option at #2.

Kind of like last season with AA, Green, and Heard. No guy really (until later) separated himself as the real #2.

I can't believe this thread made it to 2 pages. Are we really asking why the 2nd string QB, whom we've seldom even seen, isn't ahead of the incumbent QB with 2 years starting experience? Really?

And you're a coach? I'd think you'd know the difference between what the fans see and what the coaches see.