Lane Kiffin lies about voting USC number 1

Lil' Red

Kiffin clarified his comments to USA TODAY on Thursday. He said that he meant that if he was a member of the media or another coach, he wouldn’t pick the Trojans because the program is still under scholarship restrictions.

pinocchio.jpg

It isn't a lie, and it isn't even a broken promise.

“I would not vote USC No. 1, I can tell you that,” Kiffin had told reporters earlier in the week.

The context here must have been misunderstood or omitted.

Of course, he also said it rather incompletely. "I would not vote USC no.1 if I were a member of the media", but maybe that was what was asked of him. "Hey Coach, do you think USC is being rated too low in the media?" I can't think of any motivation Lane Kiffin could possibly have to be deceptive on this matter, so I'd chalk it up to carelessness on either the reporting media, or the coach himself, or both.

It isn't a lie, and it isn't even a broken promise.

“I would not vote USC No. 1, I can tell you that,” Kiffin had told reporters earlier in the week.

The context here must have been misunderstood or omitted.

Of course, he also said it rather incompletely. "I would not vote USC no.1 if I were a member of the media", but maybe that was what was asked of him. "Hey Coach, do you think USC is being rated too low in the media?" I can't think of any motivation Lane Kiffin could possibly have to be deceptive on this matter, so I'd chalk it up to carelessness on either the reporting media, or the coach himself, or both.

Maybe lie isn't the precise term but he was misleading.

Here is the quote with some context:

When a reporter said Arizona Coach Rich Rodriguez had voted USC No. 1, Kiffin said, "I would not vote USC No. 1, I can tell you that."

Link

In context. Out of context. Who cares? Kiffin is a retard for voting USC #1 in the first vote of the season after saying he wouldn't. That's the key: "after saying he wouldn't". Sometimes I think Lane Kiffin does things like this just to stay in the news.

That's a misrepresentation of what Kiffin said though, NUance.

To say, "Lane Kiffin voted USC #1 after saying he wouldn't" implies that Kiffin said, "I will not vote USC #1."

However, what he actually said was, "I wouldn't vote USC #1." Which of course is an incomplete statement but should be clear that he isn't making a declaration of his own future actions. Wouldn't under what circumstance? Wouldn't if what?

Even the context supplied --

When a reporter said Arizona Coach Rich Rodriguez had voted USC No. 1, Kiffin said, "I would not vote USC No. 1, I can tell you that."

I think his explanation has been sufficient. Kiffin is saying he would not vote USC #1 if he were somebody else, someone from the outside looking in. On the other hand, he himself has tremendous confidence in his own team. The odds ought to be stacked against them, he's arguing. They are still suffering (yeah, maybe :P) from lesser numbers enforced by the probations. We're making something out of nothing here.

As long as we're having a grammar discussion in various other parts of the board --

In grammar, the subjunctive mood (abbreviatedsjv or sbjv) is a verbmood typically used in subordinate clauses to express various states of unreality such as wish, emotion, possibility, judgment, opinion, necessity, or action that has not yet occurred...(Wikipedia)

i.e, I wouldn't [if...etc, implied]...and not to be confused with the much, much, more common indicative, i.e., I am not going to... Happy subjunctive awareness day! ;)

Despite any conventions of grammar, I understand that Lane Kiffin voted his team #1 after saying this: “I would not vote USC No. 1.″ Therefore, he is an idiot for creating the controversy. Unless that's what he wanted to do--for some weird publicity craving. Then he's merely a jackass. :lol: