Michigan vs Alabama

Creed

It's not true...

That's what I figured. Because it doesn't make sense. His claim was that the level of animosity between the teams was high enough to supersede conference loyalty, but I was strongly dubious because conference loyalty is really, in most ways, an extension of personal team loyalty. (But he isn't an idiot, and he's football obsessed and has been since he was a kid, so I felt compelled to ask.)

For the record, I've never seen anything to indicate that. (Meaning, teams rooting against conference mates.) It actually feels like a lot tighter of a knit than the Big 12 ever did, for pretty obvious reasons. Speaking for myself, I still feel a little of the "new weird guy" thing, but that will pass as time goes on. Already has a little. (It started after that comeback in Lincoln against OSU.) j/k :lol:

Anyway, thanks for answering. I was pretty sure that was the case.

There are special scenarios where it would happen and each team I'm sure has an exception.

I have no problem rooting for 11 out of the 12 teams to win OOC. The other one I hope loses every game except for the ND game. I hope a meteor hits the field during that contest.

I root for other B1G teams, just not U of M. Even SEC fans don't always root for their conference. I know plenty of USC fans that revel in UGA OOC losses, myself included, and you can bet many Yellow Hammers were rooting for the Ducks two years ago.

I remember being the only guy rooting for OSU v UF in an Atlanta bar a while ago and damn near dying when Michigan lost their Rose Bowl.

Is this a must win for the B1G considering:

• This is the biggest non-conf game for the B1G and no others come close (sorry games against ND haven't been eye catching since 1995). IMO, the B1G needs more of these big non-conf games. Winning over MAC teams and ND doesn't help.
  • Barring a Mich win vs Bama and undefeated season, no B1G team is expected to be in the NCG race.
  • No big non-conference wins for the B1G in the last 7-8 years. Maybe OSU over Oregon is Rose and OSU over Arkansas (vacated).
  • With OSU & PSU out of the bowl picture the B1G bowl match ups will be terrible and record will reflect that.
  • A win will help offset the negative publicity with PSU & OSU.

It's an uphill battle with Ala being ranked #1/2 and Mich around #10 (some saying that is too high) but a win would certainly help with the the B1G's poor reputation.

Whatever. Everyone on Huskerboard KNOWS Nebraska is always in the title hunt! Hell we're the favorites!

From what I gathered the 'tradition' of B1G conference mates rooting against each other is a holdover from the olden days when a MNC was even more mythical and a strong case can be built for why the Rose Bowl winner is the true national title winner.

Nowadays the system requires everyone's SOS to be high (even in the current BCS system) so it doesn't make sense to root against your conference mates as much and I think people are coming around the idea.

I think had Fitz been eligible for Michigan, they might have stood a chance. Their defense will do enough to shut down what will probably be a less than stellar offense in Tuscaloosa, but they won't stop them all the time. Alabama will score about 20-24 points. Which means if Michigan is going to win, they're going to need to score on at least 3-4 of their possessions, and I just don't see that happening. Bama is going to make Shoelace throw the football, and I don't think he has the talent to match up against a top-quality secondary.

Alabama wins in Jerry World, 23-10.

There are special scenarios where it would happen and each team I'm sure has an exception.

I have no problem rooting for 11 out of the 12 teams to win OOC. The other one I hope loses every game except for the ND game. I hope a meteor hits the field during that contest.

Yeah, you guys have one of the great rivalries in all of sports. That's some serious bad blood. I'm surprised you put the caveat on the ND game. But I hate them, too.

And after reading a few more posts, I'm getting an understanding of why my friend said what he did.

@exswoo: That added some clarity, and actually kind of lends a little credibility to what my buddy was saying. It's a tough league. That might be part of it. It is tangibly more physical than where we came from. Maybe those 60 minute fist fights add an element of hostility. (Maybe. That's a reach.)

Hmmm, lets see, Bama will pound the ball the entire game, their defense will get a turnover or two, they will probably hurt Robinson.

Michigans offense relies on the QB running around for 15 seconds and tossing the ball up.

Yeah, its not a really good match up.

Bama 31

Michigan 13

Lay the 10.5