Backup QB

Will Armstrong really want to redshirt if he has an opportunity to be in on those 20-30 plays? With Stanton coming, I'd venture to guess Armstrong will want any game experience he can get this year even if it is only 20-30 plays.

If we use Brion Carnes' playing time last year as a bench mark for this year, those 20-30 plays might actually be really high balling it. I mean, did Carnes even take 20 snaps last year? He only played in three games. Of the snaps I remember him taking they were almost entirely useless - he had two rushing attempts for a net loss of six yards and two passing attempts (which he completed) totaling 26 yards. If you're a player do you find that useful? Is it really worth wasting an entire year of football on a handful of meaningless plays in garbage time?

This is assuming Martinez stays healthy this year and we don't have to worry about who the starter is. But given Martinez does stay healthy, and using last years back up play as a bench mark, I think burning the redshirt would be a colossal mistake.

I don't know if we can use last year's situation as a benchmark. Martinez needed all the snaps he could get since it was his first year in Beck's offense. And we've come to learn we didn't really have a #2 last year.

No. We had a number two last year. His name is Brion Carnes. It blows my mind that a True Freshman could possibly be passing him up on the depth chart. Hell, I know Armstrong is a hell of a talented QB. I think he's gonna be one of the best we've had at Nebraska if he can hold off Stanton later down the road. That said, Brion was recruited out of high school for a reason too. The guy was a talented ball player, and had a very good arm. Not to mention, he's got some moves when he decides to run. I was rooting hardcore to see the kid out there last year, and really wish he would have gotten more time out there to show a thing or two.

All the things being said may not be true. for all we know Brion may be just fine and still right in the mix. Sure don't hear much about him anymore. I've always though Kellogg looked like a heck of a gunslinger. I'd like to see him in a game situation. I just hope we don't waste a year of Armstrong's career by naming him the number 2 and then giving him 3 snaps all season.

As far as Brion, if he truly is the number four man on the QB line now, I would almost guarantee he is leaving this program. Again, IF that is true. I just don't see how you go from backup to number four in one off season? Maybe Bo is just gift wrapping Brion and sending him down to his brother Carl? I would bet Carl might be able to use a QB at Florida Atlantic, right back down in Brion's home state.

I'd like to see Beck some up with some mad scientist offensive gadget set with RK3, T-Mart and Rex all in the same backfield. It would be worth putting those guys on the field at the same time just to see the unnerved look of the other team's DC. :lol:

This x1000!

I would love to see Beck put together some unique packages with guys like Jamal, Brion, Taylor, Ron, Rex, Ameer, and Imani mixed together. We could have one of the deadliest backfields in the conference, maybe the country if utilized properly.

The guys on BTN seem to think that Tommy Armstrong should be the clear #2 and they sounded like they would be shocked if they heard otherwise. I think Dinardo even named him the brightest up and comer for Nebraska on the Legends preview show. I'm really torn on whether or not to redshirt him mostly because I want Armstrong and Stanton to get as much time as they can to play here, but that may be counting the chickens before they hatch...

The guys on BTN seem to think that Tommy Armstrong should be the clear #2 and they sounded like they would be shocked if they heard otherwise. I think Dinardo even named him the brightest up and comer for Nebraska on the Legends preview show. I'm really torn on whether or not to redshirt him mostly because I want Armstrong and Stanton to get as much time as they can to play here, but that may be counting the chickens before they hatch...

I didn't see the show, but my gut says he is the real #2. I don't think coaches want the faithful calling for TA if we show lack of progress during the season at QB. I would imagine they are trying to keep pressure off him, and themselves by identifying him as #2. And he might be the best we have, just not ready yet to take over the whole offense. It will be interesting to see how things go this year, especially hitting conf games.

We all pretty much know that if we have an inconsistent offense like the past few seasons, then we won't see any improvement next year as well. Doubt we'd see a three year starter get the clipboard as a senior, so if we sputter again, this year would be the ideal time to try something different (TA).

With that said - hope Taylor plays awesome, Kellogg gets some snaps during games and we can RS TA because we are doing good enough.

Just a matter of time before we hear about Brion being moved to a different position. Where could he play? I'm thinking receiver because that might be the easiest position to grasp.

Heard he is being tried at punt returning....I am being serious. THIS IS MY SERIOUS POST.

Seriously?

Yes....seriously. I've heard this from a couple of "insiders," but don't take it as the gospel.

Watching some of T. Armstrong's highlight reels.....he looks very impressive as we've all seen. The kid has a cannon for an arm. I am really excited about him playing QB.

No. We had a number two last year. His name is Brion Carnes. It blows my mind that a True Freshman could possibly be passing him up on the depth chart. Hell, I know Armstrong is a hell of a talented QB. I think he's gonna be one of the best we've had at Nebraska if he can hold off Stanton later down the road. That said, Brion was recruited out of high school for a reason too. The guy was a talented ball player, and had a very good arm. Not to mention, he's got some moves when he decides to run. I was rooting hardcore to see the kid out there last year, and really wish he would have gotten more time out there to show a thing or two.

All the things being said may not be true. for all we know Brion may be just fine and still right in the mix. Sure don't hear much about him anymore. I've always though Kellogg looked like a heck of a gunslinger. I'd like to see him in a game situation. I just hope we don't waste a year of Armstrong's career by naming him the number 2 and then giving him 3 snaps all season.

As far as Brion, if he truly is the number four man on the QB line now, I would almost guarantee he is leaving this program. Again, IF that is true. I just don't see how you go from backup to number four in one off season? Maybe Bo is just gift wrapping Brion and sending him down to his brother Carl? I would bet Carl might be able to use a QB at Florida Atlantic, right back down in Brion's home state.

I don't believe we really had a #2 last year.......at least in terms of the coaches having confidence in him.

For all the athletic talent Brion seems to have, the persistent rumor remains that he is having difficulty mastering the offense.

And if our coaches don't think you know the scheme........you don't play and you don't advance..............(see Jamal ...exhibit # 1)

I don't believe we really had a #2 last year.......at least in terms of the coaches having confidence in him.

For all the athletic talent Brion seems to have, the persistent rumor remains that he is having difficulty mastering the offense.

And if our coaches don't think you know the scheme........you don't play and you don't advance..............(see Jamal ...exhibit # 1)

We had a #2 last year! His name was Rex Burkhead
  • Fire 1

Will Armstrong really want to redshirt if he has an opportunity to be in on those 20-30 plays? With Stanton coming, I'd venture to guess Armstrong will want any game experience he can get this year even if it is only 20-30 plays.

If we use Brion Carnes' playing time last year as a bench mark for this year, those 20-30 plays might actually be really high balling it. I mean, did Carnes even take 20 snaps last year? He only played in three games. Of the snaps I remember him taking they were almost entirely useless - he had two rushing attempts for a net loss of six yards and two passing attempts (which he completed) totaling 26 yards. If you're a player do you find that useful? Is it really worth wasting an entire year of football on a handful of meaningless plays in garbage time?

This is assuming Martinez stays healthy this year and we don't have to worry about who the starter is. But given Martinez does stay healthy, and using last years back up play as a bench mark, I think burning the redshirt would be a colossal mistake.

Ya but he has dropped to the 4th string QB, so how well do you think he would have done last year, and Taylor needed all the snaps he could get last year in a new offense. I expect to see alot of backups this year to build depth.

I didn't see the show, but my gut says he is the real #2. I don't think coaches want the faithful calling for TA if we show lack of progress during the season at QB. I would imagine they are trying to keep pressure off him, and themselves by identifying him as #2. And he might be the best we have, just not ready yet to take over the whole offense. It will be interesting to see how things go this year, especially hitting conf games.

We all pretty much know that if we have an inconsistent offense like the past few seasons, then we won't see any improvement next year as well. Doubt we'd see a three year starter get the clipboard as a senior, so if we sputter again, this year would be the ideal time to try something different (TA).

With that said - hope Taylor plays awesome, Kellogg gets some snaps during games and we can RS TA because we are doing good enough.

Great post, exactly how i feel. Its better on Tommy to redshirt and not put pressure on him like we did Cody Green. If Taylor goes down for any significant amount of time, pull his redshirt and we may never see Taylor back at QB again, sounds like he could be that good.