What did we learn?

Watching slo mo replays of Taylor throwing the ball after every pass and listening to the commentators pick it over gets old quickly.

Abdullah looked a lot better than last year.

Southern Miss's strategy at the quarterback position is the element of surprise.

Still having trouble slowing down mobile quarterbacks (Alford is smooth. CUSA is in trouble once he learns the offense.). Relatedly, still giving up yards through the middle.

It feels good to be watching football again.

I learned that cocktail weenies in Sweet Baby Ray's honey BBQ sauce are spectacular. And for the first time since Taylor has been starting I feel complete confidence in the guy. I am definitely worried about our D-line. Randle looks better than Steinkuhler to me. I've just never been impressed with him. He's so slow even for a D-lineman. I'd like to see what some of those young guys can do. Hopefully we'll show up against UCLA on defense after having some film on them from their first week.

We are loaded on offense so I feel pretty good about that side of the ball. Liked the carries for the FB too. Was nice to see that.

That Brett Maher is in for a long week at practice and the defense better improve before they play the likes of Denard Robinson (Michigan) or Braxton Miller (Ohio State) or they will get lit up I'm afraid. Alonzo Whaley needs to learn how to tackle this week too.

funny thing said on Big Red reaction when a caller asked about what they thought about his poor performance. One said "well you know that he got married, right?" The other said "What, last night?"

I hope people stay off him. Kicking is so mental and he needs to get his head right.

i agree totally. If he can get his confidence back hell be fine.

I learned that a certain girlfriend of the receiver that separated his shoulder was an emotional wreck in the tunnel. ABC sideline reporter broke that news/lol. Great job reporting that/lol.

I just assumed that she was crying about Rex....

(How I envision the conversation)

NU staffer: "Honey, Tim is going to be fine."

Tim's GF: "Who gives a sh*t about Tim, Rex has ice on his knee!!!!"

• Fire 1

Bo Pelini many times said this game was a difficult one to prepare for.

Aug 30th "Pelini said a lot was thrown at his players in recent days as they prepare for the unknown against a Golden Eagles team with a new coaching staff."

Aug 31st "Southern Miss has a new head coach in Ellis Johnson. His new staff has left the Husker coaches curious as to exactly what the Golden Eagles will do offensively and defensively.

“It’s one of the most unusual openers I’ve ever been a part of, because you don’t have a lot to go off of – offensively, defensively, special teams-wise,” Pelini said. “There’s a lot of guesswork going on as far as what we’re going to see.”

I'm not making an excuse for the play of the defense, it was pretty pathetic by my standards. A lot of mental mistakes.

But i don't believe what we saw this afternoon is what we can expect the rest of the season. So for you hot-heads out there, cool your jets. There is a lot of football to be played.

Bo Pelini many times said this game was a difficult one to prepare for.

Aug 30th "Pelini said a lot was thrown at his players in recent days as they prepare for the unknown against a Golden Eagles team with a new coaching staff."

Aug 31st "Southern Miss has a new head coach in Ellis Johnson. His new staff has left the Husker coaches curious as to exactly what the Golden Eagles will do offensively and defensively.

“It’s one of the most unusual openers I’ve ever been a part of, because you don’t have a lot to go off of – offensively, defensively, special teams-wise,” Pelini said. “There’s a lot of guesswork going on as far as what we’re going to see.”

I'm not making an excuse for the play of the defense, it was pretty pathetic by my standards. A lot of mental mistakes.

But i don't believe what we saw this afternoon is what we can expect the rest of the season. So for you hot-heads out there, cool your jets. There is a lot of football to be played.

I'll buy the idea the players didn't have a lot to go on with regard to schemes, etc but slow defensive line play, not pursuing the runner (this one is at you Cam), and poor tackling has nothing to do with film, etc. The D-line primarily showed poor fundamentals, no emotion, no intensity, no nothing. They just went thru the motions. The highlights were Ankrah. Cam and Baker were virtually non-existent IMO.