What did we learn?

I wasn't able to play the closest attention to the game today. The one thing I am going to look at is line play; even though I wasn't watching them closely, Martinez had all day to throw back there and we did well rushing today. Credit where credit is due.

As far as Martinez playing late, I think he should have been out by the start of the fourth quarter too. Yes, he has "sloppy" play to get rid of, but it's still there (I wasn't playing that close of attention and even I saw it). I don't think even a couple of more games will rid him of this. And with Burkhead out, Martinez staying healthy is more important than it was before.

Hmmmmm...good point.

With SRex out and possibly injured we need Tmart out of the game asap. If SRex really is hurt for a couple of games I bet Bo will immediately take out Tmart with any comfortable lead whatsoever.

Oh, and our OFFENSE might actually have an 'identity'.

SMU Head Coach said,

"They run a power offense with a temp, which is unusual, and we didn't have the ability to keep up with them a couple of times. They have some plays in the offense that no matter what you run on defense it will be a successful play for them."

• Fire 1

someone prob. said it but im too lazy to read the entire thread... anyways i really was suprised to learn that our offense doesnt have to committ a million pentalties all game long... think we only had one or two!! stoked on days guys for dat one!!

another one is obviously the special teams and the tacking has to be on top.......

In hindsight TM probably could have come out of the game earlier. Probably Bo was thinking he wanted to lock the game away and end on a high note. RK is certainly no veteran back there. However as well as our line (even the backups) were blocking and the freshman running the ball, I think they may have scored on their own and eaten up a bunch of clock. Hats off the our guys today for a really good first game against an opponent who is no slouch.

Can't ask for too much from the offense. Our best player goes down, and we didn't miss a beat.

While the D didn't look very good in the first half (they really didn't have a game plan going into the game and they had no idea what the offense was going to look like), they made good adjustments in the second half and got the job done. The D-line needs to start being more physical to take some pressure off of the Backers. Coverage looked good and is only going to get better the addition of Seisay and other guys getting more game reps.

While the defense needs some fixing, I trust Bo to get the defense fixed more than I would feel comfortable if it was the offense that needed help.

Anthony Alford is going to be a stud. The kid is fast and shifty.

Bakers stats were a lot better than I expected.... 8 tackles... 0.5 sack and 2 tackles for a loss

He needs to be the anchor of the D-line. Let Chase Rome get a few more games reps so that the game slows down a bit more for him. Maybe I'm just overly optimistic because 1) it's football season!!!! and 2) the Huskers won.

Offense played very well today against an above average opponent. That being said, when was the last time that both the offense and defense really excelled in the same game? Hopefully the D will improve significantly by next week.

Watching Bama and Michigan.....the Crimson tide's D-line is really good. Makes me envious.

I think we have a good shot at winning the Legends division. Way too early, but T Mart and the rest of the offense looked good for all 4 quarters! Defense might end up being a liitle better than last year based on first game.

Taylor's foot placement still needs work but, his accuracy and pocket presence have improved dramatically. Great game Taylor.

Is your name Ed?

Simple observation of his mechanics. His accuracy and pocket presence were outstanding though. And NO. I am not Ed. ^_^

You're right. If you were Ed you would have said it 53,000 times.

I gave my opinion. Something wrong with that?

Woah, I was slamming Ed not you. I was commenting on his critiqueing of every throw Taylor made.

This might sound weird, but im actually glad so far we are worried about the defense and not the offense.

I don't think it's weird...last two seasons the defense didn't get off to a roaring start, but the offense only looked good because Helu, then Taylor were just ripping off huge runs to the house because they were better athletes than anyone else on the field. The offense looked genuinely good today with productivity coming from everyone, no dumb penalties, no turnovers, no dropped balls, and extremely good 3rd down efficiency. Everything that has been wrong the past four seasons was right today and there's good reason to be optimistic.

Anyway, historically the defense can get a lot better, if the offense is fundamentally flawed from the start with the whole offseason wasted there's no magic fix.

Offense...a great game for TMart and the WR corp. Accurate passes and no drops. Great TD catch by Osborne. :clap

The running game and O-Line was pretty good. Nice TD by Rex before he went out. I wasn't sure how much Abdullah could carry it but he was effective enough and didn't put the ball on the turf. Liked seeing Cross too.

Ugh...the defense and special teams did not look good. Saw really no playmakers or leaders on defense. No consistency with pressure or attacking style defense which I was hoping for. Struggled to defend a mobile QB. Looked a lot like last year but without David and Dennard we are worse. Special teams was also poor...kick return for a TD and 2 missed FG's.

So, the offense was a pleasant surprise that we could air attack and not even have Rex for most of the game. The defense was a disappointment and fear we haven't figured that out and have a slow D-Line that is basically the same as last year (prepare for some big points to be put up against us).

UCLA on the road will be a much tougher opponent. They have a good RB and athletes everywhere. QB Hundley is dual threat that I fear we will make him look like a highlight reel of good plays. I have this game as 50/50 right now...either team could easily win...will be interesting to see the line.