Big Ten Power Rankings

walksalone

I hate to be the guy to say it because I love reading preseason rankings and yes, its been said a million times by others but....

One week in its very hard to tell where teams actually are. Sure team X beat team Y by 20 points but we don't get a real idea of what that win means until team Y plays team Z and so on and so on.

If Boise loses every game this year then MSU looks pathetic, if they steam roll every team then the Spartans look a little better.

When pressed I'd have to say, after one week;

t1. Nebraska

t1. Ohio State

t3. Wisconsin

t3. Michigan State

5. Purdue

6. Michigan

7. Illinois

8. Northwestern

9. Iowa

10. Penn State

11. Minnesota

12. Indiana

The should be goods - OSU & NU

Strong showing by unknowns - Illinois & Purdue

The squeakers - Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, and Wisconsin

The disappointments - Minnesota, Michigan, Penn State, Indiana

I'm very skeptical of this Boise State team. This isn't Alabama we're talking about, you just don't replace virtually your entire team and see no drop off. Michigan State could have easily lost that game too.

Its Nick Saban we are talking about. He is the best recruiter and the best coach by far. I watched that game and Bama has two amazing running backs that will be just as good as Trent Richardson and they are a freshman and a sophomore I think. Alabama will still be pretty dominant but will have a little drop off from last year's team, it wont be much of one though.

It's hard to see how anyone with a hint of knowledge (my category) about football would have the Huskers that low. That being said, this time of the year it really means nothing. Injuries and maturity (growth on both sides of the ball) will make or break most teams by years end.

it never means anything, that is the point. it is only about how the team should be ranked because of how they have played. osu, mich, mich. st., and wiscy: any and all of them could beat us; however, this week we played better than most if not all of them. that is the point of the power rankings and how it differs from actual rankings.

it gives columnist the freedom to rank teams based on how they looked recently, not on their season or even potential. it is very subjective and there really is not much criteria.

Yeah, I think #5 is a bit low for you guys. Based on what I saw over the weekend as well as "common knowledge" for each team I'd go:

1) MSU

2) Nebraska

3) Ohio State

4) Wisconsin

5) Michigan

6) Purdue

7) Illinois

8) Northwestern

9) Iowa

10) Minnesota

11) Penn State

12) Indiana

I think OSU is talented, but that was still a middling team last year. They got to prove it to me by beating some good opponents with a new head coach.

I'm very skeptical of this Boise State team. This isn't Alabama we're talking about, you just don't replace virtually your entire team and see no drop off. Michigan State could have easily lost that game too.

Its Nick Saban we are talking about. He is the best recruiter and the best coach by far. I watched that game and Bama has two amazing running backs that will be just as good as Trent Richardson and they are a freshman and a sophomore I think. Alabama will still be pretty dominant but will have a little drop off from last year's team, it wont be much of one though.

The Dude was saying that Boise State is no Alabama. With all the players that Boise lost after last season, they can't just reload and be just as good, like Alabama can. For that reason, Michigan State's win is even less impressive than it was to begin with (if you can even consider that an impressive win).

• Fire 2