Does UCLA not have many fans . . . or what?

carlfense

In Reply to: Gameday atmosphere? posted by HuskerTraveler on September 05, 2012 at 09:40:36

Your "typical" Nebraska college game day experience won't be fulfilled for several reasons...

- School is not in session until September 24th. There's no student body that congregates at any one place this time of year. Evan the band will be tiny and wearing only Aloha shirts, not uniforms.

- UCLA is a braniac school. The student body doesn't lend itself to sports, drinking or partying. Yes, there are some like that but nothing like you're probably used to in Nebraska where partying is primary and education is secondary.

- It'll be 90 degrees in Pasadena on Saturday. The sand at the beach in Santa Monica will be very inviting to many.

- The game will be broadcast on Fox Television. Why fight traffic and sit with your knees wedged into the seat in front of you when that 70" Sharp Aquos with 7.1 Dennon surround sound is a better experience.

- The Rose Bowl doesn't allow noise makers. That means that noise will have to be supplied by our own vocal chords. For those of us aspiring actors and singers this could be devastating should the vocal chords be damaged. No yelling for us.

- The game is so far inland. For those of us on the West Side it's so hard to drive in that direction. Barney's Beanery is so much closer.

- It's a 4:30 game for goodness sake. That means the whole friggin' day is shot revolving around football. Who does that?

- We're from L.A., for goodness sake. We only go to games when there's a 90% chance of winning. This game doesn't have the right percentages.

- The Rose Bowl is 29 miles from campus. Makes every game seem like a road game and we all know that the Bruin fans don't travel well.

- This isn't a Laker's game for goodness sake, nobody important will be at the game.

- There's an art fair in Laguna this weekend, isn't there? Sure there is, there always is. Sorry, can't make the game.

- Dude, I'm still recovering from the magnificence of Michelle's speech and you can't expect me to be over such an emotional experience by Saturday, can you? I need to rest up.

Yeah, this isn't Nebraska. Sorry, I can't help you. LINK

Here are a dozen excuses about why Bruins fans won't be showing up tomorrow. Translation: They are LAme fans. :lol:

I think it's a west coast thing. I remember back when I was in college a friend of mine was dating a girl from Washington. Washington had just came off of winning a NC a year or two before, and this girl knew next to nothing about them. I guess they have better things to occupy their time than college football.

My wife is from Aurora, NE. She spent 5 years at UNL while her family lived in Lincoln. She has been married to a Husker fan for going on 7 years. She knows absolutely nothing about Husker football, and has zero interest. It's not a "West Coast" thing, it's a "not cool enough to understand" thing!

LA is a fickle bunch...

Went to a Dodger and Angel game while I lived in Cali, and they show up about the 2nd or 3rd inning, and it's almost a ghost town by the 8th...

My brother lives in the LA area and says the exact same thing. What it really comes down to is that the people that are Native to Cali just don't care. If they are a winner they will come watch, but not if they aren't

Should be a ton of red in the stadium on Saturday. Can't wait to hear and watch the Husker faithful out supporting our team. My brother and his family of 6 just moved out there a month ago- they are excited as heck to see their first game in 5 years and introduce their young children to their first game.