BRING BACK POWER FOOTBALL!

The Duke

Nebraska football IS Power Football with elements of the option.

It is not this spread'em out pass it everywhere type of offense.

Nebraska doesn't just need to return to power football because it works, we need to return to this brand of football because it is who we are at our core.

• Fire 2

Nebraska doesn't just need to return to power football because it works, we need to return to this brand of football because it is who we are at our core.

It's kind of an identity crisis we have at offense. And not necessarily for bad reasons.

1) We have a QB who can actually mechanically and footwork wise throw the football. He can also run the ball.

2) We have incredible depth at the RB position. Some are power (Rex and Imani), some are speedy (Ameer and Braylon).

3) We have receivers that can actually catch the ball. We'd be doing them injustice by having that amount of talent and then not using it at all.

I'm fine with the offensive scheme, the way we abandoned the run late in the game is not acceptable, however. It's a learning process, and sometimes you just get hit in the mouth. I'm not happy, I'm disappointed. It's hard to see the good with what transpired on the field.

But I hope they take something from this game and move forward. There's still a lot to accomplish this season.

There's nothing wrong with the scheme.

Our problem is focus and execution. Nothing more, nothing less.

No there was a problwm with play calling and I think that's what ultimately did us in. The D adjusted enough to keep us in it but the offense sputtered, and then when they found their groove with the inside run we inexplicably abandon it.

• Fire 1

No there was a problwm with play calling and I think that's what ultimately did us in. The D adjusted enough to keep us in it but the offense sputtered, and then when they found their groove with the inside run we inexplicably abandon it.

I agree. The zone read play leading to our safety was not a good play call, but I think you have to look beyond the basic play. Martinez wasn't accurate, the line didn't pass pro well, we turned the ball over, we dropped passes. We did tons of little things making it impossible for an overall play to work effectively. I don't think it really mattered what play we called in the second half.

I agree. The zone read play leading to our safety was not a good play call, but I think you have to look beyond the basic play. Martinez wasn't accurate, the line didn't pass pro well, we turned the ball over, we dropped passes. We did tons of little things making it impossible for an overall play to work effectively. I don't think it really mattered what play we called in the second half.

I honestly think that, on that play, which perhaps should've not been called in the first place, the LB just said, I'm going for the QB regardless of what he does, and he got lucky. Those plays just happen.

I honestly think that, on that play, which perhaps should've not been called in the first place, the LB just said, I'm going for the QB regardless of what he does, and he got lucky. Those plays just happen.

I see both sides of it. I've always had the mind set that a play call doesn't matter as much as what you do with that call. The greatest play in the world won't work if you don't execute. Mainly, I think we did too many little mistakes to make any play really that effective.

It's kind of an identity crisis we have at offense. And not necessarily for bad reasons.

1) We have a QB who can actually mechanically and footwork wise throw the football. He can also run the ball.

2) We have incredible depth at the RB position. Some are power (Rex and Imani), some are speedy (Ameer and Braylon).

3) We have receivers that can actually catch the ball. We'd be doing them injustice by having that amount of talent and then not using it at all.

I'm fine with the offensive scheme, the way we abandoned the run late in the game is not acceptable, however. It's a learning process, and sometimes you just get hit in the mouth. I'm not happy, I'm disappointed. It's hard to see the good with what transpired on the field.

But I hope they take something from this game and move forward. There's still a lot to accomplish this season.

It shouldn't be a learning process this long. Saben took a couple beat downs from Nebraska and learned fast. Now he uses McBride's defense and a power running attack.

It shouldn't be a learning process this long. Saben took a couple beat downs from Nebraska and learned fast. Now he uses McBride's defense and a power running attack.

que?

We have receivers that can actually catch the ball. We'd be doing them injustice by having that amount of talent and then not using it at all.

It's funny you mention this. For the most part, they did a good job, but 2 crucial 3rd down passes were dropped when guys were wide open. One by Turner, one by Reed. Enunwa also had one where he had a guy draped all over him but still could have made the catch.

OP, I AGREE!! RUN THE BALL, PLAY DEFENSE, WIN THE GAME!

I agree that in the first 3 quarters we basically shot ourselves in the foot, but at the end of the 3rd and the start of the 4th we essential took a drive from our own 4 yard line to inside their 20 with 7 rushing plays in a row. Something started clicking there. That wasn't a fluke, it was a sustained drive that relied heavily on the run. And it sputtered because we couldn't pick up one more yard and were too conservative to go for it on 4th and 2 then missed the field goal. I thought at the time and still do we should have gone for it, but that's neither here or there now. Even after the safety it was a 2 point game with 6:49 left when we got the ball back. We then proceeded to rush the ball a total of 2 times the rest of the game both of which I think were scrambles. It just frustrates me to no end when we suddenly abandon what starts working. You drive that ball down the field after the safety and get a field goal and it's probably game over for UCLA.

• 4 weeks later...

que?

Agreed. Enough with the "Learning process". Throw it out and go back to what worked in 90's. Power Option Football. No one did it better. With TO's addition of speed on defense in the 90's it was perfect. Good teams could stay close until they were worn out by middle 3rd qtr, then the NU offense rolled.There must be 40 programs who have way more experience and run "the spread" better than NU. GIVE IT UP. This is and has been so sad and was very preventable.

Mistake #1: Not replacing Osborne w/ Turner Gill

Mistake #2: Solich was a good second choice, but should never have been fired by that knucklehead AD because he lost 3 games?? (think Callahan)

Mistake #3 (and the tanking of the program for 12 and still counting years): Knucklehead AD brillient decision to bring in Callahan and WCO.

Mistake #4: Board not realizing soon enough that they needed to fire AD

Mistake # 5: (sorry TO): Hiring Pelini - what the heck was his tie in with past NU success. Blackshirts were McBride's legacy - Pellini was there what, one year?? What the heck was the Congressman thinking?? His sideline rant should have been the excuse for TO to save face and dump this gum smacking guy.

Mistake #6: Considering recent mild progress signs of success.

Throw it all out, hire Gill and watch the results in about 2-3 years

i agree. When I think Nebraska Football i think wishbone option.

i agree. When I think Nebraska Football i think wishbone option.

Which is weird, because we didn't run the wishbone.