Chase Rome quits?

I apologize if someone has already said this but I don't have time to cut through the jungle tonight.

Simply put, from my distant vantage point, I don't care who on that defense gets passed over. No one--NO ONE--has earned squat. For me this season was from the very beginning about staying level with our current run of acceptable success and preparing for the next couple seasons when our schedule puts us in position to win crowns. Chase Rome wants out? Good. It's not like we're losing a winner, or someone who does things like sack the quarterback, stuff the middle-run game, or generally do any of the things defensive tackles are supposed to do.

I'm not even that worried about our recent departures in general. There needs to be a sense of hunger and fight on this team. Guys who fold and walk out at the first sign of adversity aren't going to bring you that (in fact, I'd guess they have an effect more along the lines of a chronic disease), so however many stars they have after their name, in the end they net you exactly nothing. Give me the guy who's ready to bleed for every win over the clown who thinks he's owed his spot, especially in light of what we've seen from this defensive unit the past season +2 games. At this point we might as well put the blackshirt status on hiatus. Nobody's earned anything. They play soft sloppy defense and based off what I've seen from the starters, there's no switch that's about to be flipped. To me this looks like a house cleaning situation, every spot up for grabs. Scheme too complicated? Simplify it until playmakers start appearing on that field. Switch to the 3-4? Whatever man. Get speed and passion on the field as fast as you can.

Well said. I hope that now Bo can finally be less distracted by issues on offense and focus more on defense where he is most effective. Totally agree if it is a battle of wills with players, let the chips fall and take the short term hits no matter how painful. Just keep thinking back now on that UCLA game and how different things might look if we just would have made those tackles, especially in the backfield.

You think Rome had a bad attitude? You should see the attitude on Ndamukong Suh! LOL, cracks me up. You don't think a 6 foot something, 300 pound kid that plays on the defensive line might have a bit of an attitude? Maybe an aggressive type of personality? What do you think these guys do on a daily basis? Go to practice and play patty cake, so they can be really good at ring around the rosey on Saturdays? They fight in the trenches, the get punched in the mouth, fingers in their eyes, helmets to their knees, and spit in their face. Think maybe you better be a little nasty to play up front in Div. 1....You bet your ass you better be.

That kind of attitude is absolutely fine. The kind of attitude that makes you quit when your starting spot is taken away after you didn't get the job done - that's the bad attitude I'm talking about.

yeah, suh is a weird example. suh could have left the team and no one would have blamed him, but he stayed and look what happened. he will end up winning the 2015 super bowl

You think Rome had a bad attitude? You should see the attitude on Ndamukong Suh! LOL, cracks me up. You don't think a 6 foot something, 300 pound kid that plays on the defensive line might have a bit of an attitude? Maybe an aggressive type of personality? What do you think these guys do on a daily basis? Go to practice and play patty cake, so they can be really good at ring around the rosey on Saturdays? They fight in the trenches, the get punched in the mouth, fingers in their eyes, helmets to their knees, and spit in their face. Think maybe you better be a little nasty to play up front in Div. 1....You bet your ass you better be.

That kind of attitude is absolutely fine. The kind of attitude that makes you quit when your starting spot is taken away after you didn't get the job done - that's the bad attitude I'm talking about.

Well, he's sick of the bullsh#t. You think he's the only one? I bet your wrong.

Getting your spot taken away when you're not getting the job done isn't bullsh#t. Quitting if you get your spot taken away when you're not getting the job done is, however.

• Fire 3

Bo just might be sick and tired of the way the defense has been playing, who isn't!? He was probably a bit more harsh and pissed at the players this week and Rome couldn't take the heat. Just a thought and some speculation.

Exactly. Throw some new guys into the 1st string mix, see who takes advantage, and the 1st stringers who have to stand and watch it, see how they respond. Work harder to keep their spot, or fold like clean laundry. Rome may have done the latter.

Getting your spot taken away when you're not getting the job done isn't bullsh#t. Quitting if you get your spot taken away when you're not getting the job done is, however.

Getting your spot taken away for not getting the job done would be a tough thing, and might not be bullsh#t, but I sure hope Bo is going to be yanking a lot more than just Rome's spot. There's plenty of ducks on this defense.

I'm sorry, but based on performance I thought "patty cake" was exactly what it looked like we were doing

I'm sorry, but based on performance I thought "patty cake" was exactly what it looked like we were doing

Yeah, unfortunately, it's looked that way on both defensive and offensive lines for more than a couple years now. Pathetic isn't it? The question for me now is, is it coaching or talent?

Seems like 3-4 was discussed in the off season quite a bit on this board. We do seem to have more lb personel than d-line. But, (except for Rome) no other changes have happened that I'm aware of. Why wouldn't this be addressed in the off-season by the coaching staff as well? Something fishy goin' on.

Good point. Now isn't exactly the time to be retooling the defense.

More and more, I'm wondering what the heck is going on in those coach's offices. Is it lack of experience, lack of effort, or lack of knowledge of just who/what they have for players?

I think now is as good a time as any.

We have 2 teams coming up, that if at any point this season we would want to try something totally different, now is the time.

I alot of people on here, have been asking for improvement on the defense. Let's do it.

If we don't change something, anything, our defensive product will be lackluster at best.

Time to look deeper for some mutha f-ing SOLDIERS!!!! Hit up the walkons! I bet we can find a few guys willing to shut up, work hard and lay it all on the line on Saturdays! GBR

We don't need any more walk-ons starting. They're a feel-good story, but not has relevant in today's game as they used to be. And when I say relevant, I acknowledge that we have three OL walk-ons, but we used to have walk-ons become of the best OL in college football. Hasn't happened here in awhile.

Holy crap.

3 weeks ago I was pumped for this season and for Nebraska's future. Now Tyler Moore quits, our defense gets torched and a huge component of our admittedly weak D-line leaves. So many questions, so few answers...

On a positive note...the future looks good for Nebraska as being a 'basketball school' ;)

That isn't an attitude problem....It's a character issue....

Yeah, unfortunately, it's looked that way on both defensive and offensive lines for more than a couple years now. Pathetic isn't it? The question for me now is, is it coaching or talent?

I think Bo has more then proven what he can do with adequate talent. So in my opinion, its a talent issue. That happens to fall on Bo's shoulders as well, however....