Chase Rome quits?

Every day I wake up I wonder who is going to quit. How many players are going to have to quit for fans to admit that something is horribly wrong with this program? When one player quits, yeah it's probably the player. Two quit, hmm, maybe sour grapes. But when 3, 4, 5 players quit all within a couple of months, it's a tell-tale sign that something isn't right.

• Fire 1

While this news sucks if true, it's not going to be a big deal. Rome has played his own part in the sub-par play of the DTs.

I was just talking to my dad on the phone last night, and we got talking about the game on Saturday. We both agreed that the DEs and secondary have both been playing well, minus the missed tackles, but the DTs and LBs are dragging this defense down. I think the 3-4 has potential to work with our personnel.

The DE's have been playing well? :rollin

you guys obviously aren't rational right now. If it's true that we're switching to a 3-4 defense, likeliness is that Rome isn't in it, and that a freshman is above him, that means that although he sucks, he doesn't believe he does. Bo's trying to fix the defense by putting in a new formation and he's not in it, and he probably has the same problem as Tyler Moore. Bo's implementing the earn your spot on the players, and i think people are starting to realize that more and more. It's not great because we are losing players, but like saban he will start to become known for it, and it won't be a problem if this team progresses..

• Fire 1

@HuskerExtraBC: Bo on Rome: "His personal goals and personal perception of where he should be on this fb team doesn't match the team, the team goals."

I would sure like to know the team goals. Hold them 600 yards per game and hope to hell we score more than the other team does??!!

At this point, who on this defense is accomplishing any team goals? If one of the team goals was to allow a record number of yards by a bunch of freshman at UCLA, well then we accomplished that one with flying colors. This is becoming an unfortunate trend with Nebraska. Pathetic performances year after year, and players walking off the team. If I hear one more kid say "we didn't come to play" like Will Compton said last week, I'm gonna f'ing' puke. Didn't come to play? What the f#*k are you doing out there then? Your supposed to be a leader on this team, and you "didn't come to play".....Well UCLA did come to play, and they beat the snot out of you!

Sadly,this is the generation we are dealing with.Team concept is a thing of the past.Its all about the individual.Sure people will put it on the coaches,but we have had tough coaches in the past,under tough situations.Kids didn't quit when they didn't get their way in the past.Just my opinion,but we need team players.Brion Carnes didn't quit.Kudo's to him.

Always cracks me up when stories like this become a generational thing. I, as a responsible/committed/hard-working young man, take offense to this. This is a case by case issue, and it is an issue that I would imagine to be no worse now, then it was 20-30 years ago. Only in the modern era, we have message boards, and social media that make news like this more accessible, and more widespread.

Having said all that, I would agree that Rome is not a "team" guy. I would imagine he had a large problem with his playing time being taken away by a freshman DT. Suck it up Rome!

• Fire 1

you guys obviously aren't rational right now. If it's true that we're switching to a 3-4 defense, likeliness is that Rome isn't in it, and that a freshman is above him, that means that although he sucks, he doesn't believe he does. Bo's trying to fix the defense by putting in a new formation and he's not in it, and he probably has the same problem as Tyler Moore. Bo's implementing the earn your spot on the players, and i think people are starting to realize that more and more. It's not great because we are losing players, but like saban he will start to become known for it, and it won't be a problem if this team progresses..

If Chase Rome sucks, then what category do Meredith and Baker fall into? They've all looked pretty equally pathetic so far this year.

These departures don't bother me in the least other than the fact that time and effort were wasted in recruiting these guys and we missed out some other guys that might have contributed. Based on the way this defense has performed on the field, especially the D line guys, I don't understand how this news upsets anyone. Husker X said what needed to be said up a few posts. Hell, I don't care if the whole starting D line decides to leave. Sounds to me like Bo is sick of trying to get something out of these guys so he is changing schemes and personel. In other words, he is doing exactly what I would expect him to do at this point in time. Some of you guys really should stop trying to spin this into a "something is wrong with the coaching staff" type situation. They are doing their job and attempting to put a better product on the field. If they weren't doing something about it, that would be the time to start worrying. If Rome and Moore don't want to give their heart and soul to the Husker then I say get out and good luck. I'll take the younger guys that want to prove something rather than think they already are something.

• Fire 3