Direction of program in regards to recruiting and competing...

Moustache

FWIW, this is from an outsider's perspective. (LSU fan)

I see a lot of worrying about recruiting. Well, you guys really need to look at recruiting as it relates to your conference. The only teams in the big 10 that can consistently out recruit Nebraska is Michigan and Ohio State. With good coaching/scouting/development, you guys should be competing for a big 10 championship every 2-3 years.

You shouldn't worry about recruiting at the level of an SEC team or USC, as you're just not going to consistently get better classes than them due to location. (I know Lincoln is much better than many SEC cities like BR, tuscaloser, and Auburn, but kids like to stay close enough to home so their parents can see them play).

If you guys are able to hover between 15-25 consistently in recruiting rankings, then you should be able to be getting into BCS games often. The key is not recruiting, as I think NU can recruit itself. But the key is going to be running a consistent system on BOTH sides of the ball and recruiting players to that system. Right now, I don't see that happening. I'm confident Bo can fix it, but he needs to decide if he is spread (air raid) or spread (option). On defense, he needs to play more speed.

I know you won't have the talent or stars of the USCs, Texases, Alabamas, or Floridas of the world, but you never recruited that many stars in the 90s and still whipped some consistent ass with good scouting, consistent systems on both sides of hte ball, and a 15-25 ranked recruiting class.

• Fire 4

If we can get into the top 15 in recruiting classes, that should give us enough talent to win a lot of games and compete occasionally for the national title. I don't think we will ever consistently pull top-5 to 7 recruiting classes unless we win back-to-back national championships and get a huge amount of buzz around our program across the nation.

I'm not worried, to be honest. The first couple of years that Bo was here, a lot of recruiting effort was put toward the skill positions on offense. That's why we are seeing this explosive offense that we have this year. With good play calling and a healthy Rex, this offense has potential to consistently be the best in the nation. No joke.

Where the recruiting has lacked is on defense, and that has picked up in the last 2 years. That's why we are hearing so much buzz about the young guys such as Curry, Moss, Charles Jackson, Rose, Thomas Brown, Afalava, etc. etc. I'm really hoping that Alonzo Moore makes the move to CB so we can utilize his skills on defense.

Nate,

I agree 100%. Let's face it. Lots of fans and college football people get all butthurt because they're not pulling in 18 4 stars like the elite programs. That just isn't needed. What is needed is a consistent system to recruit to, good scouting/development, and winning the games you're supposed to win. (i.e. not losing to northwestern)

If you make a BCS bowl against a team like LSU or bama, sure you might lose. But, you also have a good chance at winning if your players are confident in their system.

Bo can do it, but I just feel like he freaks out and changes stuff too much.

One thing I don't understand is naming Papuchis a DC. If you're gonna bring in a young unproven DC and trust your own defensive prowess (BO), then he should've brought in Tosh Lupoi as a DC to get a key into West coast recruiting. Papuchis is a good one (he was at LSU as a grad asst I believe), but he is not ready to be a BCS team's DC yet. He's gonna have some growing pains, but ultimately will be a good one.

One thing I don't understand is naming Papuchis a DC. If you're gonna bring in a young unproven DC and trust your own defensive prowess (BO), then he should've brought in Tosh Lupoi as a DC to get a key into West coast recruiting. Papuchis is a good one (he was at LSU as a grad asst I believe), but he is not ready to be a BCS team's DC yet. He's gonna have some growing pains, but ultimately will be a good one.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Papuchis may not be the best DC in the country, but he isn't doing that bad of a job. He has intensity and the has the boys playing. Are they the best they could be, NO. I do think that, given the chance, Papuchis is going to turn into one hell of a DC!

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Papuchis may not be the best DC in the country, but he isn't doing that bad of a job. He has intensity and the has the boys playing. Are they the best they could be, NO. I do think that, given the chance, Papuchis is going to turn into one hell of a DC!

Isnt that what he just said...?

I see a lot of worrying about recruiting. Well, you guys really need to look at recruiting as it relates to your conference. The only teams in the big 10 that can consistently out recruit Nebraska is Michigan and Ohio State. With good coaching/scouting/development, you guys should be competing for a big 10 championship every 2-3 years.

You shouldn't worry about recruiting at the level of an SEC team or USC, as you're just not going to consistently get better classes than them due to location. (I know Lincoln is much better than many SEC cities like BR, tuscaloser, and Auburn, but kids like to stay close enough to home so their parents can see them play).

If you guys are able to hover between 15-25 consistently in recruiting rankings, then you should be able to be getting into BCS games often. The key is not recruiting, as I think NU can recruit itself. But the key is going to be running a consistent system on BOTH sides of the ball and recruiting players to that system. Right now, I don't see that happening. I'm confident Bo can fix it, but he needs to decide if he is spread (air raid) or spread (option). On defense, he needs to play more speed.

I know you won't have the talent or stars of the USCs, Texases, Alabamas, or Floridas of the world, but you never recruited that many stars in the 90s and still whipped some consistent ass with good scouting, consistent systems on both sides of hte ball, and a 15-25 ranked recruiting class.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Thanks for the perspective.

I kind of get the impression that when Bo first started here, he thought he could just get a bunch of average 3 star guys and build players. We're seeing the result of that now since those guys are now the upperclassman. The last couple classes there's been more emphasis on getting 4 star and high 3 star kids. Once those guys have been in the (defensive) system a few years I think we'll see a lot of improvement on the defensive side of the ball.

As for the offensive side, I can't complain about what they're doing. They just need to be a little more consistent, which should come with time. I mean, they're much further along than they were last year at this time. It also wouldn't hurt to get a little more talent for the offensive line.

Never hurts to get an outside perspective...........thanks for taking time...........

You shouldn't worry about recruiting at the level of an SEC team or USC, as you're just not going to consistently get better classes than them due to location oversigning. (I know Lincoln is much better than many SEC cities like BR, tuscaloser, and Auburn, but kids like to stay close enough to home so their parents can see them play).

FYP. :D

You shouldn't worry about recruiting at the level of an SEC team or USC, as you're just not going to consistently get better classes than them due to location oversigning. (I know Lincoln is much better than many SEC cities like BR, tuscaloser, and Auburn, but kids like to stay close enough to home so their parents can get paid to see them play).

FYP. :D