Offensive Line

Saying the O line was the reason we lost the UCLA game was ridiculous when the offense scored 30 points and the defense looked like they had no clue what they were doing giving up over 600 yards.

Our O line is playing very well this year. It's amazing how important it is for a group of guys like that to play in the same system for two years in a row.

Agreed.

Blaming the Oline, Tmart, or "any" part of our offense for that loss is just silly.

Well, you know, the defense did it's job by holding UCLA to 36 points (34 minus the safety), but the offense failed theirs by not scoring at least 37. Hows that for looney logic?

Some are just so preset on blaming certain people that nothing pleases. Just like the guy that was cut off sports nightly last night for being a complete idiot.

The best, and maybe most important assessment of the line this year is the penalty situation. Hardly none at all. What'd they have Saturday? One holding call was it a believe. (4th qtr clip was on Ameer). No false starts, again, if I recall. That is just a flat out impresssive improvement.

i agree the onus is on our defense, but the offense could have won us that game. i think beck's play-calling is as much to blame as the 'p'-poor defense. that was a game we should have won and i am still frustrated that we did not.

OL has played well and been pretty consistent also.

But I predict the Cotton bashing will resume after the next loss - regardless of how the OL plays.

It has improved because Beck has taken over the OL from Barney since two weeks before the season started. That's why Jackson is playing center, Barney had him behind his college roommates son before he lost his responsibilities.

Saying the O line was the reason we lost the UCLA game was ridiculous when the offense scored 30 points and the defense looked like they had no clue what they were doing giving up over 600 yards.

Our O line is playing very well this year. It's amazing how important it is for a group of guys like that to play in the same system for two years in a row.

Agreed.

Blaming the Oline, Tmart, or "any" part of our offense for that loss is just silly.

Well, you know, the defense did it's job by holding UCLA to 36 points (34 minus the safety), but the offense failed theirs by not scoring at least 37. Hows that for looney logic?

Some are just so preset on blaming certain people that nothing pleases. Just like the guy that was cut off sports nightly last night for being a complete idiot.

The best, and maybe most important assessment of the line this year is the penalty situation. Hardly none at all. What'd they have Saturday? One holding call was it a believe. (4th qtr clip was on Ameer). No false starts, again, if I recall. That is just a flat out impresssive improvement.

i agree the onus is on our defense, but the offense could have won us that game. i think beck's play-calling is as much to blame as the 'p'-poor defense. that was a game we should have won and i am still frustrated that we did not.

When the offense scores 30 points and the team still loses while giving up the most yards in school history, the loss is on an embarrassing defensive "effort" not the offense. I don't think it's fair to blame the offense becasue they didn't play perfect to make up for a pathetic defense.

But I predict the Cotton bashing will resume after the next loss - regardless of how the OL plays.

It has improved because Beck has taken over the OL from Barney since two weeks before the season started. That's why Jackson is playing center, Barney had him behind his college roommates son before he lost his responsibilities.

Where did you hear that?

eh........I've spent a little time at practice and certainly saw no evidence of that.........

Guys, I'm not saying the D played well, They were bad But they played well enough to win. The O Line did not.

Here's how I look at it.

The first TD the D gave up was not their fault, It was a bad 3 and out and a freaking 13 yard punt that gave UCLA the ball at the 27 yard line. Neither was the one at the start of the 3rd where Ameer fumbles and gives UCLA the ball on the 28 yard line. Then Taylor's pick gives them the ball in the 4th quarter on the 16 yard line. The Saftey was completely on the Offense.

So yes the D gave up far too many yards and looked bad, but out of 36 points, 24 of them are on the shoulders of the offense and special teams. 12 points in that game fall on the shoulders of the D completely. 12.

We bent like crazy, horrible crazy.. but they still really only broke when the offense and special teams killed them.

But here's the thing, I don't care what happened in the first 3 quarters. It's irrelevant to me.

Facts are that we were tied going into the 4th quarter.

On the first drive of the 4th quarter the line plays well and we go down the field.. but miss a field goal.

Defense then goes out and forces a UCLA punt.

Offense goes out, Line completely disintigrates and we give up a saftey.

Defense goes out, gives up one big play but then holds and UCLA misses a field goal.

The D just put us in position to win right there. They did their job. They gave Nebraska's offense the ball with 3 minutes left in a game that save for the offense should be tied.. but is still one that a FG gives you the win.

Nebraska's O-line then completely disintigrates again and Taylor throws a pick giving UCLA the ball on the 16 yardline that basically ends it.

So at the end of the day, the Offense, not the Defense is responsible for the loss.

Agreed.

Bill Callahan is that you???

Guys, I'm not saying the D played well, They were bad But they played well enough to win. The O Line did not.

Here's how I look at it.

The first TD the D gave up was not their fault, It was a bad 3 and out and a freaking 13 yard punt that gave UCLA the ball at the 27 yard line. Neither was the one at the start of the 3rd where Ameer fumbles and gives UCLA the ball on the 28 yard line. Then Taylor's pick gives them the ball in the 4th quarter on the 16 yard line. The Saftey was completely on the Offense.

So yes the D gave up far too many yards and looked bad, but out of 36 points, 24 of them are on the shoulders of the offense and special teams. 12 points in that game fall on the shoulders of the D completely. 12.

We bent like crazy, horrible crazy.. but they still really only broke when the offense and special teams killed them.

But here's the thing, I don't care what happened in the first 3 quarters. It's irrelevant to me.

On the first drive of the 4th quarter the line plays well and we go down the field.. but miss a field goal.

Defense goes out, gives up one big play but then holds and UCLA misses a field goal.

The D just put us in position to win right there. They did their job. They gave Nebraska's offense the ball with 3 minutes left in a game that save for the offense should be tied.. but is still one that a FG gives you the win.

Nebraska's O-line then completely disintigrates again and Taylor throws a pick giving UCLA the ball on the 16 yardline that basically ends it.

So at the end of the day, the Offense, not the Defense is responsible for the loss.

a defense that gives up over 600 yards is bad, no two ways about it

Agreed.

When the offense scores 30 points and the team still loses while giving up the most yards in school history, the loss is on an embarrassing defensive "effort" not the offense. I don't think it's fair to blame the offense becasue they didn't play perfect to make up for a pathetic defense.

i know, i never blamed the offense. all i said is that they could have won it. the game was tied and we ran a zone-read in the endzone. we get the ball back down by two with enough time to run our offense, instead beck has t-mart do his best peyton manning impression even though the whole game they were blitzing like crazy. he throws a pick, which i do not blame on him, but on the play call.

so, the defense lost us the game (although they did make some key stops), but the offense could have won it for us. that is what i said the first time, here i am saying it again in a different way.

Here's how I look at it.

Disagree. The line did not disinegrate on that play. That bad play is on Beck and Beck only. WTF? Why on earth would you call a zone read when the QB is in the endzone? Why would you not call a dive play, or have the RB follow the FB to get away from the goal line. Dumbest play call of the year so far.

I was wrong. The Cotton bashing will continue despite good OL play.