It is crazy?

Is it crazy that I believe we play mistake free football that this game is gonna be an easier than expected win? I truly believe this. If we don't put the rock on the turf and TMart manages the game like I know he can, we come away with a 10 point win? Just going back and looking at all of the tape on OSU. Millers throw maybe 3 decent passes a game and has a few big runs but the otherwise their offense is stagnant. Their pass defense has it's share of holes and we have arguably the best tandem of WR's in Bell and Enunwa. Also, the whole rap about not being able to run on their defense? I know that they slowed Leveon Bell and all but lets think about this, Bell isn't a burner, I wouldn't even define him as an every down back. More like a short yardage guy. Also, who has tested their defense other than Cal? Michigan State? Their offense has been atrocious from the start. Both almost pulled the upset. Wisconsin came in boasting that too and we got 200+ on the ground. I don't see this game being much different. They don't have a Borland or anyone else on D who's really a playmaker so what is the big deal? I guess i'm feeling a lil more confident than most in that I don't believe we will come out in this game with the same flat first half we played last week.

I guess i'm just not seeing what everyone else is seeing. OSU has steamrolled anyone. I don't believe they will do it to us either. Just my take. In closing, I like our chances in this game. It's a toss up for me. Depending on which NU shows up in Columbus saturday.

Love to hear your guys thoughts.

I think we put alot of stress on any defense in the country because we are so multiple. One thing I would like to see more of are plays like the one against wisky when cotton when out on a delayed drag over the middle! It looked like he was staying in to block then released and was wide open. I love the idea of getting our athletic guys the ball dragging over the middle cause it's one of the harder routes to defend. Our running game is gonna be everyones top priority to stop, but if we can get the LBs worried about TEs crossing behind them and the safeties worried about the deep crossing routes(even though those take time to develop), I like our chances to put up alot of points. We may have to win this one in a shoot out! If it is then I like us to win. GBR!

To start....I'm not sure if your first sentence is worded correctly, but yes, you are in fact crazy if you believe we will play mistake-free football. If we did, then yes, it would be easier to win obviously.

I hate to say it, but asking for us to not fumble the ball once seems to be a tall task for this team.

Miller isn't a terrific passer, but he's far better than Shoelace, and he had a good game through the air against us last year. It's not so much their ability to throw the ball, but instead it's their ability to extend passing plays to where our secondary can't cover for an extended period of time. It doesn't always matter how much of a push your defensive line gets, some guys can just make other guys miss and extend plays.

I'm also betting he throws more than 3 good passes a game.

Here's one last week against Sparty.

game-winner.gif

Like always turnovers will be the key to the game. If we can avoid early turnovers and control the football we will absolutely have a good chance to win. If we put the ball on the turf and let them get out on us like they did last year and like Wisky did last week it will be a long night.

We have had problems with mobile QB's since Bo has been here. I do think that after the debacle that was UCLA, stubborn BO is gone. he has been replaced by a guy who has decided to change things in order to win. Not saying he didn't want to win, but realized playing a D he "knew" and wanted might result in a loss. I think Bo will actually devise a game plan that actually depends on slowing/limiting Millers abilities to hurt us with his feet or arm. Much like teams will stack the box with 8 to stop Martinez, I expect some of that against OSU. More nickel and dime to get the speed on the field and avoid the mismatch of a LB against their RB,TE on drag routes/screens and to have more speed in the open field against Miller.

The key is to get him off balance in the pocket and pressure him when he rolls out. We have to get in his face, rush him and hit him; HARD. No matter how good our DB's play, if Miller is free to scramble in the backfield to gain time he will be able to throw on us. Miller can "scramble" and extend plays with his feet. To date, IMO, Martinez can not.

We need to also come out on O and drive the field, pound the ball and score on the opening drive. set the tone and settle down. Finally force a team to adjust to us. Beck also needs to call another great game. Keep Martinez comfortable and call plays to the strength of the team. I would also go up tempo and get their D off balance, look for the mismatches and exploit the hell out of them. If they can not stop the plays, keep them. Again, force them to stop us. Get the ball to the play makers in space. We have so many, it will be hard to game plan for them all. Use them all.

To your point of defensive stars, they do have Simon. He is an absolute stud. But I do agree, they haven't been tested at all yet this year.

It doesn't always come down to stars. I remember the '72 Dolphins. The only undefeated team in NFL history. Their defense was actually named "The no name defense", because they had no stars. It can happen, and it will happen Saturday night.

And when it does, there will still be people on this board, being negative about something.

To your point of defensive stars, they do have Simon. He is an absolute stud. But I do agree, they haven't been tested at all yet this year.

It doesn't always come down to stars. I remember the '72 Dolphins. The only undefeated team in NFL history. Their defense was actually named "The no name defense", because they had no stars. It can happen, and it will happen Saturday night.

And when it does, there will still be people on this board, being negative about something.

Exactly! I hope we do win, however so I don't look crazy to co-workers thinking we will win every game.